Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    What's the main consensus these days..considering the company pushes for Ms. Marvel and Black Widow?
    I think she's both. Storm has been through so much as a character. She will always be marvels top female regardless of who is being pushed at the current moment.
    Last edited by Trident; 09-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Storm has been through so much as a character.
    of her own doing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    No I mean she's in Marvels most successful films as the lead women. Hence #1.

I think Storm is too attached to the X-Men for her to be the most popular.
    Both BW and Storm are on a team movie or another character's film.

and this:

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I think Storm is popular on the basis of her character being popular. Meaning, she's popular because people like the character. Black Widow is definitely getting up there, but it almost seems like popularity by association, rather than popularity based on who she is.

If we go by just people picking characters...if we talk about something like a video game, Capcom can be described as about as close to an unbiased party as you can get. They probably said "Hey Marvel. We would like the following list of characters" and Storm was on there, but Black Widow was not. Until UMvC3, Jean was not a character that Capcom wanted, either.

On the basis of the movies, you could say that when the X-Men movies were being made, Bryan Singer could have chosen someone like Psylocke to appear, but opted for the characters of Storm, Rogue, Jean, etc.

When it came to comics, yes Jean did have a really big story centered around her, but Storm seemed to always be a popular character despite not having a major story told about her. Any X-Men media you can think of, if it has any female characters, Storm is usually always a guaranteed inclusion.

Storm is one of those characters that's just popular. She's popular from the source: comics. Her popularity determines her inclusion into other media (games, cartoons, movies). She's very unique in appearance and powers.

BANNED

I'd go for jean but being dead ain't helping. If marvel promotes jeen as "the jean" it'd something completely different
    As for movie I didn't liked jean or storm in any

Storm theme from MvC 3
    Last edited by somacula; 09-06-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I think Storm is popular on the basis of her character being popular. Meaning, she's popular because people like the character. Black Widow is definitely getting up there, but it almost seems like popularity by association, rather than popularity based on who she is.

If we go by just people picking characters...if we talk about something like a video game, Capcom can be described as about as close to an unbiased party as you can get. They probably said "Hey Marvel. We would like the following list of characters" and Storm was on there, but Black Widow was not. Until UMvC3, Jean was not a character that Capcom wanted, either.

On the basis of the movies, you could say that when the X-Men movies were being made, Bryan Singer could have chosen someone like Psylocke to appear, but opted for the characters of Storm, Rogue, Jean, etc.

When it came to comics, yes Jean did have a really big story centered around her, but Storm seemed to always be a popular character despite not having a major story told about her. Any X-Men media you can think of, if it has any female characters, Storm is usually always a guaranteed inclusion.

Storm is one of those characters that's just popular. She's popular from the source: comics. Her popularity determines her inclusion into other media (games, cartoons, movies). She's very unique in appearance and powers.
    This right here is what i was thinking about..
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    The Marvel Now female-led titles are selling abysmally.

It's depressing, as i'm sure this will be taken as a mandate to retrench even further into just Avengers-related titling, but the blame should really lie in relatively hook-less female books.

Don't give us the same old same old, but with a female lead. Give us something to be excited about, a fresh look or an innovative style.
    They really, really are. Has Elektra been cancelled yet?

Numbers for August are in! http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29603.html

66 MS MARVEL #7 $2.99 MAR 32,866
    88 STORM #2 $3.99 MAR 25,268
    90 BLACK WIDOW #9 $3.99 MAR 24,885
    102 SHE-HULK #7 $2.99 MAR 22,883
    111 CAPTAIN MARVEL #6 $3.99 MAR 21,221
    131 ELEKTRA #5 $3.99 MAR 17,209

July numbers reposted:

46 Storm 1 $3.99 Marvel 47,566
    86 Ms Marvel 6 $2.99 Marvel 36,041
    121 Black Widow 8 $3.99 Marvel 24,555
    126 Captain Marvel 5 $3.99 Marvel 23,666
    127 She-Hulk 6 $2.99 Marvel 23,562
    152 Elektra 4 $3.99 Marvel 19,125

Sorry to say, but it looks like Storm's following the other Marvel heroines in terms of sales numbers.

The only one that's doing well, relatively speaking, is Ms. Marvel, a brand new superhero easily able to connect with young, female readers (and others, but that's the primary audience I'm thinking of). As in, something that feels fresh, not more of the same.

Who knows, some day, we may need to be calling Kamala Khan Marvel's top female superhero! At least she's a fan of Storm... particularly RoLo, haha.

Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    They really, really are. Has Elektra been cancelled yet?

Numbers for August are in! http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29603.html

66 MS MARVEL #7 $2.99 MAR 32,866
    88 STORM #2 $3.99 MAR 25,268
    90 BLACK WIDOW #9 $3.99 MAR 24,885
    102 SHE-HULK #7 $2.99 MAR 22,883
    111 CAPTAIN MARVEL #6 $3.99 MAR 21,221
    131 ELEKTRA #5 $3.99 MAR 17,209

July numbers reposted:

46 Storm 1 $3.99 Marvel 47,566
    86 Ms Marvel 6 $2.99 Marvel 36,041
    121 Black Widow 8 $3.99 Marvel 24,555
    126 Captain Marvel 5 $3.99 Marvel 23,666
    127 She-Hulk 6 $2.99 Marvel 23,562
    152 Elektra 4 $3.99 Marvel 19,125

Sorry to say, but it looks like Storm's following the other Marvel heroines in terms of sales numbers.

The only one that's doing well, relatively speaking, is Ms. Marvel, a brand new superhero easily able to connect with young, female readers (and others, but that's the primary audience I'm thinking of). As in, something that feels fresh, not more of the same.

Who knows, some day, we may need to be calling Kamala Khan Marvel's top female superhero! At least she's a fan of Storm... particularly RoLo, haha.

kamala acknowledged that scemma is way more popular than RoLo! She'd probably fit in vine forum or some fanfic forum, hopefully she'll become the top marvel superheroine!

Storm is only as popular as she is because of Claremont's classical work on her(and how that was channeled in the 90's animated series). Marvel and Fox have squandered that potential in the subsequent decades. I love the ideal Storm represents as a woman of color with the highest regard for nature and freedom, and for her sexy, ass-kicking, powerful persona, but it doesn't surprise me modern audiences haven't connected as strongly, as she is mishandled and underutilized in the majority of her appearances.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

When it comes to greatness imo Storm and Black Widow are not even in second place. I think Kitty Pryde, Illyana Rasputin, Dazzler, Mystique and the new Ms. Marvel are greater female characters than Storm and Black Widow.
    Last edited by Rochedalaix; 09-06-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rochedalaix View Post
    When it comes to greatness imo Storm and Black Widow are not even in second place. I think Kitty Pryde, Illyana Rasputin, Dazzler, Mystique and the new Ms. Marvel are greater female characters than Storm and Black Widow.
    We dont get to choose popularity; Sales do (at least the way I see it). Black Widow will probably be pushed to the young generation that didn't grow up seeing TAS and being fed the "Avengers were Right" stew, so there goes ANY X-woman, including Storm. But I do agree with the greatness; Black Widow is FAAAAAAAAAR below Storm, but to say Storm is the greatest is not accurate either.
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    We dont get to choose popularity; Sales do (at least the way I see it). Black Widow will probably be pushed to the young generation that didn't grow up seeing TAS and being fed the "Avengers were Right" stew, so there goes ANY X-woman, including Storm. But I do agree with the greatness; Black Widow is FAAAAAAAAAR below Storm, but to say Storm is the greatest is not accurate either.
    My Little Pony is more popular than Avengers Undercover, Elektra, and All New Ultimates, in a world like this I don't give a damn about popularity. Also I think this is the last generation for comic books I don't think comics are going to be doing that great next generation. I blame the high prices comic book inflation has been worst than gas.
    Last edited by Rochedalaix; 09-06-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Who could be greater? Jean Grey? Invisible Woman? Wasp?

I'm honestly asking, lol.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

BANNED

Kamala Khan, Magik, X-23 and Kitty Pryde are greater imo

Quote Originally Posted by Rochedalaix View Post
    Kamala Khan, Magik, X-23 and Kitty Pryde are greater imo
    They don't have the comparables to measure up to Storm really.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Easily Jean, who was mostly in charge and rarely pushed to the side, as Storm had been for a while while Cyke and Wolvie measured genitalia. She killed herself in the moon, something iconic that few X-men have done that is so referenced. Emma Frost, for being Wallpaper, was also given many roles while being Cyke's woman, including her own team in Dark Reign to rule over, and considerations into the Avengers if HIckman had his way, being part of the P5, and being the teams telepath, something the comics treat as essential to combat. Storm is obviously not one to be in danger of getting shelved, but Jean is still the top X-woman, and I'm more than sure had Emma been let off Cyke, she'd have a greater role than Storm. Not more powerful than Storm, of course, but a seat in the Illuminati would have trumped Queen of Wakanda.
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616