Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default So Joan Garrick and Molly Mayne have past away, right?

Ever since Doomsday Clock and seeing Jay and Alan’s families, it pretty much not showed Joan and Molly at all.
    And looking at how Jay was alone in the latest Flash storyline that showed all of Flash’s extended fAmily and talk of Jay’s loneliness, it seems Joan has died. And then ever since Alan’s coming out of the closet, there’s been nothing showing Molly.

So I’m going to assume both those ladies are deceased.

I guess it’s no coincidence that Geoff John’s has introduced two new kids right now as a legacy for them. Judy Garrick and Harlequin’s Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Ever since Doomsday Clock and seeing Jay and Alan’s families, it pretty much not showed Joan and Molly at all.
    And looking at how Jay was alone in the latest Flash storyline that showed all of Flash’s extended fAmily and talk of Jay’s loneliness, it seems Joan has died. And then ever since Alan’s coming out of the closet, there’s been nothing showing Molly.

So I’m going to assume both those ladies are deceased.

I guess it’s no coincidence that Geoff John’s has introduced two new kids right now as a legacy for them. Judy Garrick and Harlequin’s Son.
    As for Molly, how often had she been showing up prior to the start of the New52?
    Throw in that Alan is now gay (but wasn't gay prior to the New52), why should Molly be showing up these days? How many gay men would be having frequent contact with their female wives if they don't have kids that they are both the biological parents of?

Yes, it can (and sometimes does) happen, but is that the way these things would normally work out?

I hope not. There are stories to tell with both of them.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jay has referenced Joan in Flash.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As for Molly, how often had she been showing up prior to the start of the New52?
    Throw in that Alan is now gay (but wasn't gay prior to the New52), why should Molly be showing up these days? How many gay men would be having frequent contact with their female wives if they don't have kids that they are both the biological parents of?

Yes, it can (and sometimes does) happen, but is that the way these things would normally work out?
    Way to stereotype, friend. Besides, we don't know if Alan and Molly broke up for reasons outside of Alan's sexuality. People should be treated as individual first, not based on what they are or are not.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Way to stereotype, friend. Besides, we don't know if Alan and Molly broke up for reasons outside of Alan's sexuality. People should be treated as individual first, not based on what they are or are not.
    What do you mean "Way to stereotype"?

Before Alan was turned gay (because, honestly, that's what DC did to him . . . I've never seen any evidence that he was originally created as a closeted homosexual back in the days of All-American Comics) by DC, he and Molly were married late in life.

Now that he's "out", how much of a role would readers expect Molly to play in his life?
    DC hasn't said yet how this all came about or anything about how Molly would have reacted to this.

I merely implied that she probably isn't exactly a significant part of his life now. We have no idea if / when DC intends to deal with her or her relationship with Alan.

What do YOU think their situation probably is if you think what I said is "stereotyping"?

Extraordinary Member

Anyway, I don’t think Joan, Molly or even Libby Lawrence are still alive anymore.

Anyway, I don’t think Joan, Molly or even Libby Lawrence are still alive anymore.
    Don't know if Geoff Johns has even thought about that.

After all, there's all the BRAND-NEW! retro-characters he created that he's still barely developed in his stories (which who knows when DC will finally get around to releasing them).

I don't know if Molly at least had appeared in any book, but if she appears, boy, she is going to need hughe rewritings of her character.
    You see, Molly Mayne aka Harlequin, in th eGolden age had a relationshp with Green lantern (Alan Scott) very like the one of Batman and Catwoman. The reason why Molly donned the costume was because she had with Alan Scott. The whole Harlequin deal was her way to flirting with the superhero. But as nothing happened in the end (hey, there you got a hint) she leave the gama. It was Scott who would later asking her to marry.
    SO, yes, it going to need a lot of rewriting.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Molly appeared a bit in the 90's when Kyle was dating Jade and Alan was serving as a mentor to him.

Extraordinary Member

The thread isn’t about Molly and Joan’s last appearances, which was before Flashpoint, almost 12 years ago.
    The thread is about from Jay and Alan’s most recent appearances, it’s inferred that their wife’s have since died.

The thread isn’t about Molly and Joan’s last appearances, which was before Flashpoint, almost 12 years ago.
    The thread is about from Jay and Alan’s most recent appearances, it’s inferred that their wife’s have since died.
    Of course she is not going to appear. She has become something inconvenient for DC. Maybe the easiest route will be to say she is dead and after that Alan choose to get out of the closet. That left out the reason why they married, but ok.
    Maybe the existence of the Harlequin' Son had more than a reason to be. We will see.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't know if Geoff Johns has even thought about that.
    He hasn't - it was in The Flash by Jeremy Adams where they revealed that Libby Lawrence, Jesse Quick's mother and the original Liberty Belle, is dead.

I've always assumed Alan waited until Molly died to come out as gay (he's functionally immortal and she probably died of old age, she'd be over 100 by now), so as not to upset her. After all, if he'd come out when he was younger, she might have turned back to villainy!

I feel sorry for Judy. She's going to reunite with Jay, only to find out that Joan has died - and likely very recently.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He hasn't - it was in The Flash by Jeremy Adams where they revealed that Libby Lawrence, Jesse Quick's mother and the original Liberty Belle, is dead.

I've always assumed Alan waited until Molly died to come out as gay (he's functionally immortal and she probably died of old age, she'd be over 100 by now), so as not to upset her. After all, if he'd come out when he was younger, she might have turned back to villainy!

I feel sorry for Judy. She's going to reunite with Jay, only to find out that Joan has died - and likely very recently.
    Yeah. I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen to Judy. And I think with Molly deceased, we’ll see Alan will deal with Harlequin‘s son.

Yeah. I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen to Judy. And I think with Molly deceased, we’ll see Alan will deal with Harlequin‘s son.
    At the pace Justice Society of America is getting published, maybe they'll possibly get to that in 2024 or 2025 (at earliest) . . .