Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I haven’t read everything, so I’m not sure where it’s been confirmed they’re dead?

Regardless, I hope that’s not the case depending on what happens with the JSA and their supporting characters. Joan and Molly deserve some page time and additional development. If the JSA is about family, then let’s keep the family.

Joan would be amazing as a parental and grand-parental figure to the heroes in the JSA and the Flash family. I’d love to see some older women characters get opportunities to be active in aspects of the stories.

As for Molly, there’s far too amazing of a story to tell with her to let her be gone. Her history with Alan, her history with the Injustice Society, her history being an intelligence operative, etc. There’s so much story to tell there.

The whole Green Lantern, Thorn, Harlequin, JSA, ISA, Jade, Obsidian, Harlequin’s Son and any of their current paramours or partners relationships and situations are the stuff/drama that comics are made of! So much to define and develop in terms of their times past relationships and their current relationships… what they’ve experienced and have had to work through. It excites me thinking of all the challenges and intrigues and heartbreak and heartfelt moments that could connect them all - with some adventure and superhero action included.

And before anyone jumps in to complain that Alan is gay and therefore Molly could never have a good relationship with him or have him in her life, I’ll say that is not thinking very creatively or considering the whole story and emotional arc these characters (especially heroic characters) could go on. It’s a story worth exploring and telling in a lot of different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Of course she is not going to appear. She has become something inconvenient for DC. Maybe the easiest route will be to say she is dead and after that Alan choose to get out of the closet. That left out the reason why they married, but ok.
    Maybe the existence of the Harlequin' Son had more than a reason to be. We will see.
    Alan being gay during Molly's flirtations and overtures really wouldn't have had an effect on her to start. She didn't know Alan was gay. They grew closer over the years as they gained respect for each other and worked together on occasion. Molly marrying Alan as a marriage on convenience makes sense. Many gay people went through marriages to make them look straight. Molly as Alan's beard makes story and character sense as well as treating history realistically. Not being over familiar with most cases intimately, I assume it's possible that a gay man and his beard might have experimented with sex.

Molly fits into Alan's history quite well. Is she dead? At this point, DC should start thinking about all of their Golden Age characters without meta aging ability as dead or dying soon. Outside of kid sidekicks, they're all 100 or more (if not, pretty damn close).
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Alan being gay during Molly's flirtations and overtures really wouldn't have had an effect on her to start. She didn't know Alan was gay. They grew closer over the years as they gained respect for each other and worked together on occasion. Molly marrying Alan as a marriage on convenience makes sense. Many gay people went through marriages to make them look straight. Molly as Alan's beard makes story and character sense as well as treating history realistically. Not being over familiar with most cases intimately, I assume it's possible that a gay man and his beard might have experimented with sex.

Molly fits into Alan's history quite well. Is she dead? At this point, DC should start thinking about all of their Golden Age characters without meta aging ability as dead or dying soon. Outside of kid sidekicks, they're all 100 or more (if not, pretty damn close).
    Unfortunately this is the reality of things. How exactly would Joan and Molly still be alive? Joan could be given some speed force mumbo jumbo explanation (she slowly absorbed excess energy from Jay that slowed her aging?) but how would Molly have remained alive (unless you want to use the GL power in a similar way.)
    But it's the same for many of the JSA/All-Star Squadron characters (I would love to see Danette Reilly, Firebrand but honestly it would have to be a grand or even great grand at this point.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Unfortunately this is the reality of things. How exactly would Joan and Molly still be alive? Joan could be given some speed force mumbo jumbo explanation (she slowly absorbed excess energy from Jay that slowed her aging?) but how would Molly have remained alive (unless you want to use the GL power in a similar way.)
    But it's the same for many of the JSA/All-Star Squadron characters (I would love to see Danette Reilly, Firebrand but honestly it would have to be a grand or even great grand at this point.)
    I believe in the mid 80s, Roy Thomas set up Joan to be around Jay when Ian Karkull exploded his residual energy over them and the JSA, extending their life. But that can only go so far. Molly never had that.

Incredible Member

Okay, ground rules.

In regards to Alan Scott, are we talking about "Earth-2" Alan Scott, or "Earth-0" Alan Scott?

Also, it may be best to depict Alan as "bi-sexual". It would allow for Todd and Jeannie to be born while acknowledging the fact that Alan had been married for a period of time. After wards, anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Okay, ground rules.

In regards to Alan Scott, are we talking about "Earth-2" Alan Scott, or "Earth-0" Alan Scott?
    Do you mean "Earth-2" (pre-CoIE) or "Earth 2" (with no dash; the guy from the New52 books)?

Really hoping Joan will survive long enough to see the return of her daughter Judy. That said, Jay made a comment during the One Minute War where it sounded like he was talking to Joan (not there) as if she had already passed.

As for Molly, it would make sense that she had already passed since she didn't have any known means of keeping her alive this long. Any golden agers still alive at this point really need some fantastical explanantion for how they are alive at all...which the remaining few seem to have.

Extraordinary Member

Plus Joan was no where at the backyard barbecue at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Plus Joan was no where at the backyard barbecue at the end.
    Good point. Although it makes me sad. Joan deserved a better sendoff than "offscreen".

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Okay, ground rules.

Also, it may be best to depict Alan as "bi-sexual". It would allow for Todd and Jeannie to be born while acknowledging the fact that Alan had been married for a period of time. After wards, anything goes.
    I’m not sure what this means. Alan is gay and both of his kids are still confirmed to exist.

Well, I think we will get clarification on Joan Garrick soon. Once Jay reunites with Judy.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I’m not sure what this means. Alan is gay and both of his kids are still confirmed to exist.
    Yeah. Alan had his kids with Thorn, she ran off while pregnant so he didn't know they existed until they were adults. He then remarries, to Molly. Neither wife knew he was gay - and both were supervillains! Nothing needs a retcon. Molly might be the reason he took so long to come out.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah, but which Alan Scott are we talking about? Pre? Post? New 52? And I stated that Alan SHOULD be "bi", because at least we fans of Todd and Jeannie can have them. Plus, considering that Alan was with Molly for quite the number of years, being "bi" would fit better, than simply being "gay", which would have Alan leave Molly DURING the marriage, rather than after Molly's passing. Incidentally, if there is going to be a revision on Alan Scott's "status", I'm ultimately fine by it. I just don't want to lose Todd and Jeannie in the process, you know.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. Alan had his kids with Thorn, she ran off while pregnant so he didn't know they existed until they were adults. He then remarries, to Molly. Neither wife knew he was gay - and both were supervillains! Nothing needs a retcon. Molly might be the reason he took so long to come out.
    Good call.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Do you mean "Earth-2" (pre-CoIE) or "Earth 2" (with no dash; the guy from the New52 books)?
    Good question. I have NO idea what's going on.