Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Yeah, but which Alan Scott are we talking about? Pre? Post? New 52? And I stated that Alan SHOULD be "bi", because at least we fans of Todd and Jeannie can have them. Plus, considering that Alan was with Molly for quite the number of years, being "bi" would fit better, than simply being "gay", which would have Alan leave Molly DURING the marriage, rather than after Molly's passing. Incidentally, if there is going to be a revision on Alan Scott's "status", I'm ultimately fine by it. I just don't want to lose Todd and Jeannie in the process, you know.
    There's no multiple Alans in this scenario; I don’t believe we’ve seen the Earth 2 characters (the New 52 versions) in a while. In current comics there is one Alan in the present day universe who is a gay man and has two adult children. Being gay does not preclude someone from being in a straight marriage or fathering kids.

Last edited by Holt; 05-01-2023 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    There's no multiple Alans in this scenario. There is one Alan in the present day universe who is a gay man and has two adult children. Being gay does not preclude someone from being in a straight marriage or fathering kids.
    Accurate. Speaking from experience and for several of my gay friends who fathered kids while they struggled with (and then figured out) their sexuality.

There's no multiple Alans in this scenario. There is one Alan in the present day universe who is a gay man and has two adult children. Being gay does not preclude someone from being in a straight marriage or fathering kids.

This. Thank you for sharing this comment.

Incredible Member

There's no multiple Alans in this scenario; I don’t believe we’ve seen the Earth 2 characters (the New 52 versions) in a while. In current comics there is one Alan in the present day universe who is a gay man and has two adult children. Being gay does not preclude someone from being in a straight marriage or fathering kids.

Still doesn't explain why Alan would remain with Molly for so long. You would think that Alan would have left her years before, during their marriage, rather than live a lie. But, thank you for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Unfortunately this is the reality of things. How exactly would Joan and Molly still be alive? Joan could be given some speed force mumbo jumbo explanation (she slowly absorbed excess energy from Jay that slowed her aging?) but how would Molly have remained alive (unless you want to use the GL power in a similar way.)
    But it's the same for many of the JSA/All-Star Squadron characters (I would love to see Danette Reilly, Firebrand but honestly it would have to be a grand or even great grand at this point.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I believe in the mid 80s, Roy Thomas set up Joan to be around Jay when Ian Karkull exploded his residual energy over them and the JSA, extending their life. But that can only go so far. Molly never had that.
    Roy Thomas had come up with the Karkull stuff back in the eighties when these characters were all in the mid to late sixties with some even older. It was a way to keep senior citizens fairly youthful, but Will Evans has a point that it can only go so far. It is time for DC to come up with a solution for this whether it's a time jump for JSAers and significant others, or for JSAers only with significant others being native to "x years ago", or to assume there is no time jump and the non lifespan enhanced characters are all dead. The timespan, even with the Karkull stuff is ridiculous and getting even moreso.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Yeah, but which Alan Scott are we talking about? Pre? Post? New 52? And I stated that Alan SHOULD be "bi", because at least we fans of Todd and Jeannie can have them. Plus, considering that Alan was with Molly for quite the number of years, being "bi" would fit better, than simply being "gay", which would have Alan leave Molly DURING the marriage, rather than after Molly's passing. Incidentally, if there is going to be a revision on Alan Scott's "status", I'm ultimately fine by it. I just don't want to lose Todd and Jeannie in the process, you know.
    Who's "Jeannie"?

and

Still doesn't explain why Alan would remain with Molly for so long. You would think that Alan would have left her years before, during their marriage, rather than live a lie. But, thank you for the clarification.
    Let me let you in on a little secret: ALAN WAS NEVER A GAY MAN PRIOR TO REBIRTH!

It's a retcon, so that means DC now has to go back and alter all past stories where he was written as a straight man between 1940 and +/-2016 or so.
    And there are still a lot of things about the pasts of the members of the JSA that DC has not bothered to confirm / clarify yet, so don't be surprised if you have to wait for a long, long time before Geoff Johns takes the time to deal with this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Who's "Jeannie"?

and

Let me let you in on a little secret: ALAN WAS NEVER A GAY MAN PRIOR TO REBIRTH!

It's a retcon, so that means DC now has to go back and alter all past stories where he was written as a straight man between 1940 and +/-2016 or so.
    And there are still a lot of things about the pasts of the members of the JSA that DC has not bothered to confirm / clarify yet, so don't be surprised if you have to wait for a long, long time before Geoff Johns takes the time to deal with this.
    Well he already started with Alan and Doiby Dickles conversation in the 1940s in the latest Justice Society ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Well he already started with Alan and Doiby Dickles conversation in the 1940s in the latest Justice Society ongoing.
    Yeah, but that section (in The New Golden Age #1, not Justice Society of America) was meant to introduce one of Geoff Johns' new creation$ to his back story:

Earth-2's Val-Zod and Lois Lane (Superman and Red Tornado) appeared in the Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent mini by their creator Tom Taylor. Earth-2 Jay Garrick appeared in the Flash arc Finish Line, which concluded Joshua Williamson's run on that book. So Earth-2 Alan would still be around, he just hasn't appeared lately.

Who's "Jeannie"?
    Yeah, Jade's name is Jennie. No A.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

They flip flopped back to the Earth 2 of Nu52.

Incredible Member

Who's "Jeannie"?

and

Sorry for the misspelling. It's suppose to be Jennie, not Jeannie, aka JADE.

Astonishing Member

The existence of Hypertime means all of the previous straight versions of Alan still exist. And more versions do exist in the new/old multiverse.

Retconning Alan to be gay is interesting, but it does take some further bits of massaging to make his family "work." This is particularly the case because, as currently portrayed, the Alan of the 1940's is pretty much fully aware of his sexual orientation, even if he's unsurpisingly keeping it on the down low.

The easist of family member to retcon is Molly. In the original telling, she was a criminal foil for Alan who had a crush on him, a lightheated Catwoman to his Batman. They finally got married in the 80's after admitting their love for each other. Retconning her into a McCarthy era marriage of convenience seems like a way to go here. Beards are a thing, and it would make their friendship all the stronger if she was in on it.

Then you have Alan's first wife, Rose Canton, aka the Golden Age Thorn, aka the biological mother of Jade and Obsidian. In the original telling, Alan and Rose had a whirlwind marriage some mumbledeyears before the birth of the kids, which fell apart when the Thorn personality re-emerged and she fled the scene.

If Rose's place in the continuity is to be preserved, there's a LOT of stuff that needs to be unwound. For one thing, the timing is starting to get funky, as Rose giving birth to Jade and Obsidian 25-30 years ago both has her giving birth in her 60's, and Alan (self-aware of his sexual identity since the 1940's) hooking up with a woman in his, what, 70's? Even taking account the Alan's effectively immortal, and whatever shenanigans could be going on with the Golden Age Thorn, it's still damned odd that this couple could come about so late in the newly revised continuity. One could insert a sexual assault into the mix, but that seems tacky in the extreme.

Me, I favor the "Rose and Alan had a doomed affair earlier in his career, when he was still sorting some stuff out. She fled when Thorn emerged (for the first time!), and had a kid. This kid's bloodline would eventually give rise to Jennie and Todd" solution. That's right, I'd sever the parental bond between Jade, Obsidian, and Alan. They could see him as a father figure, but they're actually descedants. 'Cause seriously, it's not like Alan raised them anyway.

Thoughts?

Jade and Obsidian's age is definitely now a problem - the same goes for Jesse Quick and Hourman, and Atom Smasher. All supposed to be in their 20s (around the same age as Dick Grayson's Titans) but children of golden age heroes. At least Cyclone is the GRANDDAUGHTER of Red Tornado, and Stargirl is fine as Pat is both time displaced and only her stepfather.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-02-2023 at 10:26 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Retconning Alan to be gay is interesting, but it does take some further bits of massaging to make his family "work." This is particularly the case because, as currently portrayed, the Alan of the 1940's is pretty much fully aware of his sexual orientation, even if he's unsurpisingly keeping it on the down low.

The easist of family member to retcon is Molly. In the original telling, she was a criminal foil for Alan who had a crush on him, a lightheated Catwoman to his Batman. They finally got married in the 80's after admitting their love for each other. Retconning her into a McCarthy era marriage of convenience seems like a way to go here. Beards are a thing, and it would make their friendship all the stronger if she was in on it.

Then you have Alan's first wife, Rose Canton, aka the Golden Age Thorn, aka the biological mother of Jade and Obsidian. In the original telling, Alan and Rose had a whirlwind marriage some mumbledeyears before the birth of the kids, which fell apart when the Thorn personality re-emerged and she fled the scene.

If Rose's place in the continuity is to be preserved, there's a LOT of stuff that needs to be unwound. For one thing, the timing is starting to get funky, as Rose giving birth to Jade and Obsidian 25-30 years ago both has her giving birth in her 60's, and Alan (self-aware of his sexual identity since the 1940's) hooking up with a woman in his, what, 70's? Even taking account the Alan's effectively immortal, and whatever shenanigans could be going on with the Golden Age Thorn, it's still damned odd that this couple could come about so late in the newly revised continuity. One could insert a sexual assault into the mix, but that seems tacky in the extreme.

Me, I favor the "Rose and Alan had a doomed affair earlier in his career, when he was still sorting some stuff out. She fled when Thorn emerged (for the first time!), and had a kid. This kid's bloodline would eventually give rise to Jennie and Todd" solution. That's right, I'd sever the parental bond between Jade, Obsidian, and Alan. They could see him as a father figure, but they're actually descedants. 'Cause seriously, it's not like Alan raised them anyway.

Thoughts?
    The "age of the parents" issue really applies to almost ALL the Infinitors. While the dads were exposed to the Ian Karkull energy, most of the moms were NOT (including for instance Rex Tyler's wife, and Ted Knight/Starman's wife, as well as Rose Canton). I think this is going to need to be addressed in the near future, now that the Golden Age JSAers are reaching a natural age of 100+. Either the Infinity Inc kids need an explanation of how their parents had them at age 60, or a time jump needs to be invoked, OR the Infinity, Inc kids would be in their 60's themselves (not a fan of the last option!)

The JSAers lost some years in Ragnorak, but the spouses were not there and the kids were already born. I think the easiest solution would be a time jump between the golden and silver ages. (Captured and put in suspended animation? Fell through a time warp and couldn't get back?)