Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Most radical power creeps and nerf

Which Marvel characters have experienced the most radical power creep?

Of the top of my head:

Wolverine: The guy has gone from struggling to heal bullet wounds to being more of a single cell organism.
    The Hulk: Since he's gone World-Breaker, it's been upwards and onwards since then. Seeing someone like The Thing even fight him for more than 5 minutes now looks odd.
    Venom: He's gone from being a little stronger than Spider-man to full on god now.

On the other hand, we've seen some guys get nerfed. Some like:

Iron Man: This guy could go toe-to-toe with almost every Earth based superhero in the Marvel universe before. Now, everyone it seems can damage and tear up his armor.
    Spider-man: In his current run, Parker seems to get his ass kicked by everyone.
    Moon Knight: This guy was superhuman before but now he seems to just be well trained or something.
    Thor: He's supposed to be infused with the Odin force, but he doesn't seem to able to use it.
    Black Panther: Writers seem to have forgotten that he's an enhanced human.
    Gambit: This guy used to be fast enough to block bullets with his staff, now he gets kicked around by everyone.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-01-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Power creep… agree on Wolverine

Nerf… the ever lovin’ blue eyed Thing
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member

Nerfed...John Walker. He fought Cap to a stand still as Super Patriot. But after being trained in Cap's fighting style seems to get beat like the red headed stepchild on the regular for the sake of the story. Protocide and Daredevil..both people she should have been able to do the distance with.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Power creep: The Scarlet Witch. She used to only be able to manage three or four hexes (none of which she could control) and she'd be exhausted. Now she is what she is.

And for a combo power creep/nerf: Doctor Strange and Dormammu. In the early days it was always made absolutely clear that Dormammu was far more powerful than Strange. Way more powerful. It is what made those early confrontations so much fun to read because you knew Strange could not overpower him. But not anymore. Heck, Jason Aaron went so far as to have a de-powered Strange beat Dormammu just by opening a portal behind him and shoving. Nonsense--but I expected no better from Aaron who clearly knew nothing about the characters that he was writing for. Still, these days Dormammu has been reduced to the level of being Baron Mordo....and Mordo is treated as being somewhat below Paste-Pot Pete.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

BANNED

Power Creep: Carol Danvers (use to be baseline Human, now she's half-Kree), Monica Rambeau (use to be baseline Human now she a Mutant), and Jean Grey (use to faint after every use of her powers, had a long dalliance with the Phoenix Force, now she can only be described as ineffable)

Power Nerf: Katherine Pryde (totally no growth), Scott Summers (totally no growth), and Orphan-Maker (totally forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Power creep… agree on Wolverine

Nerf… the ever lovin’ blue eyed Thing
    Another nerf… Colossus. I mean, what the hell?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Power creep: The Scarlet Witch. She used to only be able to manage three or four hexes (none of which she could control) and she'd be exhausted. Now she is what she is.
    Even once she learned magic she was never seriously talked like she could be anywhere near Strange's level, nowadays she's probably stronger than him.

Anyways, Shocker got nerfed to ****, he's someone who could actually win against Spidey, since his gauntlets basically give him a shittier vibranium, which's still really strong, nowadays not only is this angle never used, his personality is also that of Ultimate Shocker, meaning, a crying loser, which's fucking jarring compared to his old, calm and professional personality, and he apparently got beaten up by MJ offscreen in MJ/Black Cat Beyond.

Celestials are also kind of a joke more often than not, although the one from Judgement Day did look strong at least, but we still have the very silly situation of Knull being strong enough to kill Celestials, but weak enough to be killed by Eddie Brock with Uni Power, Mjolnir, and Silver Surfer's board, which, while it's a very strong combination, such combination wouldn't even tickle old Celestials, and it looks even sillier when Knull got killed by being thrown into the sun... Surprisingly weak for someone who's apparently super strong.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 05-01-2023 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

It's my opinion that Peter's simply not written to his known potential. Last I checked Peter is listed as being class 100, proved able to momentarily surprise and hold back Juggernaut, has stalemated the Thing at arm wrestling before being distracted, temporarily restrained the Savage Hulk, and briefly matched and traded blows with Gladiator before being defeated. I'm not sure Peter's has been actually nerfed at all... He just needs intensive and extensive training in the art of street fighting from Luke Cage and then he would be a truly formidable opponent
    Last edited by Micabe; 05-01-2023 at 09:00 PM.

Ultimate Member

Thats another one.

What happened to Piotr??

Iceman started off as a guy that could make ice and throw snowballs. Now he's some unstoppable elemental god that can freeze molecules and such.

Likewise, Jean Grey could original move objects with her mind, small objects, usually no more than she could physically lift herself. Now? Even without getting into the Phoenix stuff, she can remind and control minds halfway across the planet and can telekineticly toss around buses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Iceman started off as a guy that could make ice and throw snowballs. Now he's some unstoppable elemental god that can freeze molecules and such.

Likewise, Jean Grey could original move objects with her mind, small objects, usually no more than she could physically lift herself. Now? Even without getting into the Phoenix stuff, she can remind and control minds halfway across the planet and can telekineticly toss around buses.
    With all due respect, Jean Grey, can do a hell of a lot more than simply control minds (halfway across the planet) and toss around buses telekinetically.

Just ask the Progenitor Celestial
    Last edited by Micabe; 05-01-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Which Marvel characters have experienced the most radical power creep?

Of the top of my head:

Wolverine: The guy has gone from struggling to heal bullet wounds to being more of a single cell organism.
    The Hulk: Since he's gone World-Breaker, it's been upwards and onwards since then. Seeing someone like The Thing even fight him for more than 5 minutes now looks odd.
    Venom: He's gone from being a little stronger than Spider-man to full on god now.

On the other hand, we've seen some guys get nerfed. Some like:

Iron Man: This guy could go toe-to-toe with almost every Earth based superhero in the Marvel universe before. Now, everyone it seems can damage and tear up his armor.
    Spider-man: In his current run, Parker seems to get his ass kicked by everyone.
    Moon Knight: This guy was superhuman before but now he seems to just be well trained or something.
    Thor: He's supposed to be infused with the Odin force, but he doesn't seem to able to use it.
    Black Panther: Writers seem to have forgotten that he's an enhanced human.
    Gambit: This guy used to be fast enough to block bullets with his staff, now he gets kicked around by everyone.
    On Iron Man getting nerfed. You’re right and I can’t put my fingers on why it happens so.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-02-2023 at 03:19 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    On Iron Man getting needed. You’re right and I can’t put my fingers on what it happens so.
    It really came into common focus for me after the Ultimates run, where Ultimate Iron Man had his armor get wrecked, or completely run out of power after one big showy entrance, in *every single fight*, after that, it seemed to creep over into 616 continuity. (Where Iron Man had dealt with the 'running out of power' problem *back in the late 70s* with those frisbee things on his belt that acted like super-batteries.)

BANNED

Hmm... Doesn't Tony have a Stark Reactor in his chest which powers his armor of the month?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Well, that's pretty much how Marvel always uses the Odinforce TBH.