Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Considering that a flashback shows him in the classic Captain Marvel Junior costume, I'd say it's probably the case that the blonde was bleach, and he's now back to his natural colour.
    I wouldn't even mind if Waid used the bleach blonde phase as an explanation. That feels in character with Freddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    This is a great start.

Mora's art is as expected immaculate and Waid perfectly establishes Billy's status quo mixing old and new stuff into one form.

Love how its going full in on the wackiness to the T-Rex aliens to Talky Tawny being back.
    The return of Mr. Tawny makes this issue an automatic W in my book

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This is exactly what I was looking for in a Shazam comic.

This is the most I've enjoyed Shazam/Captain M in I don't know how long. If I had to choose my favorite thing about the issue though, it would be Freddy's return to a more classic look. Really hope we see him with his powers back sooner rather than later.

Solid issue, but I think DC's missing a great opportunity to return to Cap's original name of Captain Thunder. There's no active copyright for it, though Captain Thunderbolt is currently taken.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    This is the most I've enjoyed Shazam/Captain M in I don't know how long. If I had to choose my favorite thing about the issue though, it would be Freddy's return to a more classic look. Really hope we see him with his powers back sooner rather than later.
    You know, I can get behind the name "Captain M"...

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Solid issue, but I think DC's missing a great opportunity to return to Cap's original name of Captain Thunder. There's no active copyright for it, though Captain Thunderbolt is currently taken.
    Nah they should just call him Captain Marvel! From what I can understand they can use the name everywhere except the title of the comic book. The annoying thing is they do, do this! Young Justice called him Captain Marvel the entire time and there were no complaints about him getting mixed up with the Marvel Captain Marvel.

No it didn't. He was Captain Marvel in season 1 when he was still called that in the comics, but in seasons 3 and 4 made after a lengthy hiatus, he's Shazam, and Mary is The Sergeant.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

No it didn't. He was Captain Marvel in season 1 when he was still called that in the comics, but in seasons 3 and 4 made after a lengthy hiatus, he's Shazam, and Mary is The Sergeant.
    I think Knightmare meant he Young Justice comic which Captain Marvel Jr was a member of in the latter issues. Yeah I think legally DC can call him Captain Marvel in the comics just not in the title. I think the powers that be at DC decided at some point that it would be easier to just call him Shazam. Of course no one really likes that so it still hasn't stuck. I'm personally fine with calling him the The Captain in comics. Especially with it being a nickname Freddy & Mary have given him that he doesn't like.

Outside of the art, it was pretty meh. But I can see folks flocking to it. Readers love their nostalgia. I just passed the comic off to my nephew. He loved it. (this is his first comic ever) There's nothing wrong with admitting you're not the target audience for a certain comic and that's fine.

I thought this was just about a perfect book for the Shazam property. Just generally fun and upbeat with a nice grounding moment with Freddy, and something that just cherry picks and blends the best elements of the various takes on the character together (Tawky Tawny as a lodger in the house is perfect). Love the idea of the entities called upon to make up the "Shazam" word coming together over issues with the champion (and excited that the Jack Kirby Atlas is apparently going to be the Atlas of the word, according to future covers) and the shout-outs to the rogues gallery we don't see often, like Mister Atom or Captain Nazi or the Arson Fiend. And Billy being a podcaster is a great update to the "cub reporter" days.

And finally, if we can't call him Captain Marvel, I love the name The Captain for the character, over calling him Shazam (which I never liked and didn't make much sense to me) or Captain Thunder, which I think is just a clunky and horrible name. I'll always initially associate that name with the Nextwave character but, as he doesn't seem to be getting any love on the Marvel side of things, I have no issue with DC taking the name and running with it. After all, Marvel got his original name.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

This was a joy to read. And Dan Mora, so good! What can I say, honestly, my thoughts on any superbly drawn Dan Mora issue of any book will simply be summarised to... Dan Mora.

BANNED

Yeah, perfect mix of modern and classic elements. I hope we get to see Freddy back in action again soon, though.

Incredible Member

Arrow

The name change occurred in order to keep in line with the TRIALS OF SHAZAM! storyline, more so than with what Geoff Johns was doing with the character. It's also why we're now in the Black Mary era, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I thought this was just about a perfect book for the Shazam property. Just generally fun and upbeat with a nice grounding moment with Freddy, and something that just cherry picks and blends the best elements of the various takes on the character together (Tawky Tawny as a lodger in the house is perfect). Love the idea of the entities called upon to make up the "Shazam" word coming together over issues with the champion (and excited that the Jack Kirby Atlas is apparently going to be the Atlas of the word, according to future covers) and the shout-outs to the rogues gallery we don't see often, like Mister Atom or Captain Nazi or the Arson Fiend. And Billy being a podcaster is a great update to the "cub reporter" days.

And finally, if we can't call him Captain Marvel, I love the name The Captain for the character, over calling him Shazam (which I never liked and didn't make much sense to me) or Captain Thunder, which I think is just a clunky and horrible name. I'll always initially associate that name with the Nextwave character but, as he doesn't seem to be getting any love on the Marvel side of things, I have no issue with DC taking the name and running with it. After all, Marvel got his original name.
    In Tom King’s Danger Street, Kirby’s Atlas seemingly had an important role in New Gods mythology. I know that’s a Black Label so basically Elseworld, but DC seemingly changed him from being just a super strong Conan-like character and moved him into the realm of gods.

I would love to see some explanation about this promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, perfect mix of modern and classic elements. I hope we get to see Freddy back in action again soon, though.
    Billy promises to find a way to repower him, so I bet it happens by the end of the first year (i.e. issue 12).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman