Default Bone Age vs Krakoan Chronological Age: Mutant Endocrinology

Given the implications of ressurrection, how do we age mutants? Do we go by their Chronological Age or what is essentially their vessel age?

Say a mutant brain that had several lifetimes of experiences. It's pretty clear from Sins of Sinister that the mutant mind can hold a 1000 years of memories.

With several lifetimes of experiences, I suppose Apocalypse and Selene are in a similar situation. Would 1000 years of memories make certain phases in your lifetime feel so insignificant? And is it possibly a contributing factor to how non challant they are with other lives?

Astonishing Member

In these types of fictions anyone can somehow handle 1000 years of memories regardless of what kind of human they are, unless the writers want them to not be able to do so for dramatic purpose.

As for how much 1000 years can weight on a character. I would argue that always depends on what narrative role these experiences fullfill either over a whole franchise or for a particular story.

Villains like Apocalypse and Selene, who are basicly just megalomaniacs who want to rule over the world, have fun, etc. will seldomly show the gravity of having lived for so long and experienced so much, because that's not important for their narrative purpose.
    Meanwhile when a hero is long lived, it usualy weights heavily on them, because that adds to their often humble personality.

Something which should also be considered in the question of how much a large amount of livetime can weight on a character is how involved, important and related to the "core world" of a setting they are.

For example Wolverine is by now around 200+ years old and has experienced various important historic events directly or indirectly. These add narrative weight to the character because they relate to events which still affect the Marvel Universe as a mirror of the real world. Not to forget that they increase the chance of him having met important characters from history (fiction or real) in the past.

Meanwhile Synch has spend 100+ years in the Vault and fought seemingly supremely powerfull beings. But his experience there have little to no narrative weight in the long term. Because argubaly the Vault matters little in the grand scheme of things, since it's not involved in the regular Marvel Universe or other re-occuring fictional places within it or their history. It's just a 100 year "training montage" so to speak.

As such it would also not be a suprise if Synch is written rather nonchalant about his time in the Vault, while Wolverine is constantly presented as feeling old.

Apocalypse and Genesis are in a similar position.

Apocalypse was frequently involved in major historic events and has stories to tell of them. This adds to his bombastic ego and presentation as major villain, ecause he can say things like "I kicked sand in Julius Ceaser's face!" with the reader being supposed to accept that as fact. In turn because Ceasar was a real person and important for real world history, it makes Apocalypse old age have weight.

Meanwhile Genesis has spend the last few thousand years in an unimportant secluded alternate dimension and as such missed out on having any influence from or on the history of the Marvel Universe. As such her 1000+ years fighting an evil god are narratively less weighty than her husbands sand kicking.
    Last edited by Grunty; 05-02-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Would 1000 years of memories make certain phases in your lifetime feel so insignificant? And is it possibly a contributing factor to how non challant they are with other lives?
    Depends on how much of those 1000 years they actually remember. I'm only 30, but I don't remember every second of these 30 years. Those years probably left imprint on me and formed my personality, but I don't remember much of them. Like I have few bright memories about my childhood, school days, etc., but majority of days - I have no idea what happened during them, they were just normal days. So, perhaps mutants who lived for thousands of years are the same. Selene spent centuries in Nova Roma, where were no enemies or danger there, so perhaps all these centuries blend in her memories and she only remember few important moments. Apocalypse probably remember some big battles, but memories of days between them are likely lost.