Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #11 - Review/Spoilers

They said the Fall would be brutal and here we go. It's a dense issue so I'll cover the major points.

We open with the preview pages, the sinisterized council members being brought up from the Pit. Storm calls for Xavier first as her introspective caption boxes tell us that she's known him for a long time, that he dragged her away from Africa to help save his project. She feels she is once more being pulled away to rescue his plans. The four have their hands tied behind their backs as Rasputin marches them to Forge's chambers.

The four are hooked up to what is essentially a large underground tree, Forge standing in front of them with his monitors, Storm and Rasputin on either side of him. He had asked to head this recovery project. When Storm asked him why, he reminded her that he has experience cleaning up when science goes bad. That it'll be a nice change to clean up someone else's mess. This made her smile and comment on how sometimes it's easy to remember why they were once together. (I love them together, sue me). Forge tells the room that every science brain looked into this issue, double-checked the whole genetic database and found nothing at first. But then...

Data page of Forge's report explaining that Sinister "created a sub-dimensional loop in the DNA sample. It coils into another dimension. It's almost totally invisible.... Needle in a haystack is easier than this." Long story short they're able to remove the loop, sending the tainted genetics into time and space, leaving the genome back to normal.

The relief is palpable, Storm says. For the moment. Forge activates the removal of the loops in the four's DNA and that's that. Stepping down from the tree Emma is ready to get back to council business but Storm says "No." Forge explains that while he thinks the tainted DNA has been removed he doesn't know if he got it all, if it could come back. Storm announces that in order to be careful, Xavier is now removed from resurrection duties and the Cuckoos will cover it. "Hope's work will continue at a reduced rate but anyone she brings back will go through Forge's cleaning process... and be under psychic surveillance. Xavier asks about their council votes and Storm for now they don't have any. Exodus is furious and Xavier is objecting when Storm tells them they need to see something.

A table is set up with video screens for the four to sit in front of and watch. Mother Righteous provided details of the Sins timeline and Rasputin has provided psychic access to herself to corroborate it.

Rasputin: I have nothing to hide.

Storm thinks Rasputin has a certain self-righteousness, which makes her worry. "She is a true believer in Krakoa. We've seen where that can lead." I agree with Storm, I don't trust her.

They are silent at first as they walk away from the table. Exodus tries to talk to Hope but she yells at him to stay away from her. Xavier asks Storm what she needs from them and she says it cannot be publicly shown that four council members are kicked off the council so they will keep up appearances. It would look like chaos to the public otherwise. The four will stay on because their input is important but they won't be voting and Rasputin will be their personal security at all times.

Storm takes Xavier to confront Destiny. Xavier says she knew about the Moira engine and asks why she didn't find a way to tell them about it. Destiny says it was too big of a risk and she didn't know where the clones were, and there was always the chance Sinister would reset if she pushed him too hard. Storm confronts her about tricking Storm and Brotherhood into stealing the Moira engine in the future and asks why Destiny didn't deactivate the Moiras x-genes since she was able to do it to Moira in the current timeline. Destiny says she cannot answer that question because that was a decision made by her future self. Destiny then gives a little speech which frankly just makes me dislike her more but basically based on what she can see now, she tries to piece together everything that happened during Sins and why she might have made the decisions she made. It's mostly accurate but Storm says she's hiding a truth behind a truth and asks why she let the Sins timeline continue as long as she did. Destiny replies saying the meeting is over. Storm is like you don't get to dictate when the meeting is over and Destiny is like I'm not, it just is. Sure enough Xavier interrupts them because Hope and Exodus are fighting over Krakoa.

"... it is not you I am trying to hide the truth from." We cut to Mystique at their home. seemingly lost in thought. Mother Righteous appears behind her. "Hello, ducky. Don't worry, I..." Mystique rushes her, grabs her by the front of her cape and flips her over, holding a knife to her face. Nice. Mystique asks her what she wants and Mother says she's been sorting through all the info from Sinister's Sins file and wanted to drop off the message Irene left for Sinister that we heard in Immoral #3 that led him to the World Farm. Raven says she'll make sure Destiny gets it.

Mother: Good, good. Though you should know... it's about you. "Thank you, Mother Righteous."
    Mystique: Hmph. Thank you.

Mother leaves and Mystique plays the device Mother gave her, listening to the message. From the Sins timeline, we hear Destiny telling Sinister that she and Storm stole the lab with the Moira engine but that she now wants the universe reset. Destiny says, "This will be because Raven is dead. And if Raven is dead... Oh god, I hate myself. She would hate me for thi..."
    We the readers know that Mystique is about to find out that Destiny kept the Sins timeline going just so she could be with Mystique for as long as possible. It's important to remember that Mystique died because she wanted to join Storm's cause and fight back against the Red Diamond empire. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts to this new knowledge about her wife.

They lower themselves back to the ground where Hope beats the crap out of Exodus. He's on the ground and as she walks away she tells him she's not his messiah and he's not a church, to stay away from her. She apologizes to Storm and has no other words. Storm sees the regret, shame, and anger in her, things Storm was hoping to see. She believes Hope can change but she doesn't have sufficient time to ascertain if she can say the same about the others.

Storm is with Xavier and Emma outside a gate that goes to Arakko. Lodus Logos is standing next to it, urging Storm to come to Arakko in his poetic way. Storm asks Xavier if he wants to talk about Magneto before she goes but he says no, that he'll contact her when he wants to talk as he walks away. Classic Xavier. Emma calls him a prick.

Storm tells her it seems she's talking all of this better than the other three. Emma says she's been a villain before and it used to shame but that those were their worst selves that Sinister unlocked, it wasn't actually them. That they are not their worst selves. Storm says it's not just what her future self did, that what she's done now and the games she plays helped lead to that future. Emma says Storm is in no position to judge them. She brings up the "No thrones on Arakko" thing and how Storm is still worshipped "as some kind of distaff King Arthur." Then she really hits hard by reminding Storm that she got to be a hero in the awful future.

Emma: You were a hero. Well done. But you were yourself every second of that future... and it was five years until you realized anything was wrong. Five years of Arakko filling your oh-so-busy schedule while we were drowning... You did nothing until it was too late."

Ouch. Storm starts to walk away as Emma says with the four's votes gone they need Storm more than ever. "And you're still about to pop off and play Ororo Munroe on Mars! Never forget: Whatever mess happens when your back is turned is on you too, Goddess!"

Shaw is listening to them argue, wishing it'd turn into a cat fight. He's with Mother as she's inspecting a Krakoa gate, finding it fascinating. She tells Shaw that he's played his part well and he says they have a budding relationship so of course he wasn't going to tell everyone that Mother was "the money behind Selene's power play." He says Krakoa is tipping and is about to go south, and that when it goes down he wants it all. He wants to own Krakoa. Mother says she thinks she can arrange that but wants him to push for certain motions on the council that she wants, handing him a list that we can't see. He says they'll never happen even with four votes gone and she says democracy has been known to be a wobbly girl.

Days later, Storm is in the Quiet Council chamber meeting with someone privately. Her thought captions tell us that while she knows Emma lashed out and used her words as weapons, the words landed and she was right. She tells the person she's meeting with that she has become aware of a certain truth.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Little brother, noooooo. Everything is a mess and it's only going to get messier and messier.

I'm unable to do a thread for Sons of X today but there's much to discuss about that issue too as something important happens to another council member.

Well................. lol.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Leaving the council in the hands of Shaw, Kate, Destiny, and Mystique is crazy. With Kurt leaving his voting to Storm and Storm handling everything to Piotr, he now has 3 votes that he can use.

Also I am glad that my issues were addressed, I wondered if they were going to address Storm being spread thin and they did, and I like that Emma was the one who said something considering she herself was spread thin as well by focusing on the HFC and the council. The council needs Storm more than ever whether she realizes it, her decisions unknowingly just brought doom to Krakoa and most liky Arakko as well, so i am interested to see how this plays out for her character.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

And here I thought things wouldn't get crazy until the Gala but nope, we're in the mess already friends. The council is broken.

The **** on krakoa is hitting all kind of fans as we speak…..
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Enh. Otherwise smart and competent characters making dumb choices for the sake of plot and the most stupid of reasons. Isn't Kate...the daughter of her heart, still on the QC?
    And no, Emma...until you address the fact that you and the other telepaths in the room were content to do nothing about the snakes in the garden, even with the knowledge you had... just, no.

I was done with Gillenister a while back. This just underscores that decision. That is all.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-03-2023 at 06:35 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Damn he is going to be running X-force and he is making decisions for the Council. Damn Petey this will be the second time you betrayed the X-men smh
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

So, this was Good. My Opinion did change because before I thought things were a bit odd, but they were addressed.

Lots of things were said and a lot of Valid points. Storm is right to be pissed this isn’t the first time she had to swoop in and help save the day by fixing Pro. X mess. And Putting him in his place yet again.

I’m read for Mystique and Destiny’s Blow Out because it’s high time something needs to be done about them. I’m Glad Mystique is finding out Destiny lying to her.

Hope and Exodus fighting was Cute. I mean nothing interesting about it.

Emma is right Storm is needed on Krakoa, but at the same time if some of these Council Members (Charles,Destiny, Sinister) weren’t being so damn Shady all the time and doing their own thing this wouldn’t happen and Storm would not be needed or have to babysit. War is also coming to Arakko not just Krakoa. And unbeknownst to Storm she gave the keys to the Kingdom to the most shady of them all the Russian Spy. Lol

I don’t Blame Storm for that decision in fact it’s well in character considering who’s left that Storm can trust. I will say I can’t wait to see the look on Storm’s face when she finds out that Colossus was a spy Lol

Anyway, this was Good. Gillen captured Storms Voice well.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 05-03-2023 at 06:41 AM.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Enh. Otherwise smart and competent characters making dumb choices for the sake of plot and the most stupid of reasons. Isn't Kate...the daughter of her heart, still on the QC?

I was done with Gillenister a while back. This just underscores that decision. That is all.
    Not giving it to kate could be related to her joining the x men.
    Which actually leaves the quiet council as destiny, mytique, shaw and colossus

I loooooooooved this issue. Gillen is Hope's best writer, so that's always a treat, but the conversation between Ororo and Emma was everything. I love when writers aren't afraid to embrace Storm's haughtiness, self-righteousness, and the fact that she's spent long periods of time being outright worshipped as God. Watching her play off of someone as rude and abrasive as Emma was *chef's kiss*

I dropped Immortal a while back but JB's review lets me know I made the right decision. The QC's level of stupidity has gone full blown Super Saiyan at this point.

Edit: I am interested more now than ever to get to Doug/Krakoa's issue, the QC must have ruled on something so egregious and nasty in order for the island to intervene and check them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And no, Emma...until you address the fact that you and the other telepaths in the room were content to do nothing about the snakes in the garden, even with the knowledge you had... just, no.

This isn't entirely correct, I have to stick up for my girl. Before Judgement Day, Emma brought the knowledge to the rest of the QC about Sinister and his clones in the hope of getting him thrown in the pit or off the Council. Nobody was necessarily content with the snakes in the garden, Emma thought she had Shaw in check, and Emma trusted Destiny to have the best interests of mutant kind. No one had the foresight into seeing any of this happening, so it is unfair to to some extent. Could the telepaths as a whole could have done more? Of course, but so could anybody else, they are a council, a team who sit to make decisions for the betterment of Krakoa. I also think it's good to point out that no one is blaming Storm for anything, just that with basically the "good" council members in the majority they need Storm more than ever.
    Last edited by Diammandis; 05-03-2023 at 07:03 AM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Yeesh giving Mikhael 3 votes not great.

Yep sinister was brought in front of the council for crimes in judgement day and he ran. So its not like he wasn't charged. He then used the Moiras to kill the QC and we got SOS
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 05-03-2023 at 07:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I dropped Immortal a while back but JB's review lets me know I made the right decision. The QC's level of stupidity has gone full blown Super Saiyan at this point.
    "Breaking news: Nepotistic assembled government of a ill defined semi-anarchic nation, designed by the writer to be highly incapable of proper decision making and being disfunctional, breaks appart because of being disfunctional and not realizing that councilman Mister Sinister might have had sinister plans going on against them. More at 11."