Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ARCHIE comics

Mighty Member

Do you have a favourite Christian one? They're fair good natured and attack, greed, consumerism and racism. ..

What's the new Ethel book like? She really copped it in the comics and looking back it was dicky to make the unattractive girl the butt of so many jokes for so long...

Extraordinary Member

Mighty Member

The John S. Lucas revival of Katy Keene. Nice art but very CAMP! Got a KK paper dolls book at home. Her dream date boyfriends look suspiciously like gay "adult' actors...

Then there was the spot light stories NO ONE asked for : Miss Grundy, Mr Weatherbee, Svenson ("Yiminy!"). Did Smithers the butler ever have one?

Did you like the recent jughead's Time police series? Unfortunately it didn't have 70's christian juggy or the non-speaking magic painting guy...
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 05-15-2023 at 04:53 PM.

How strange that Archie and all the other teenagers are the only child in their families when Archie debuted in 1940's. The average American household has at least three children in 1940's and 1950's.

Jughead didn't have a younger sister until 1990's.

Betty has a couple of older siblings but it wasn't revealed until 1990's.

Mighty Member

Interesting observation. I wonder if Happy Days was influenced by Archie in some ways...

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I remember reading Archie Comics and digests back in the late 80s and early 90s. It was fun to see those digests by the supermarket check out line and its said that those sold huge due to kids seeing them and wanting one.

One of the saddest articles I read was how scummy Dan DeCarlo was done by the end of his time with Archie. He created Josie and the Pussycats and Archie terminated his contract after 40+ years due to issues over ownership.

Its hard to look at Archie Comics and think that this company royally f-cked over a long standing creator who did so much for them. He passed in 2001 with the company treating him like dirt as a final memory.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Mighty Member

How about we discuss forgotten characters?

Frankie Valdez and Maria
    Bingo Wilkins - his friends and family (retconned recently as jugs cousin)
    Madhouse Glads (seen recently in a battle of the bands)
    Jinx's mom. shown in early strips. Later replaced by the dad as a better comic foil. You'd be forgiven for thinking him a widower. Wonder if she appears in the supernatural Jinx series?
    The "new kid" Carlos and Dilton's robot in the filmation cartoon.

who else?

Astonishing Member

For all intents and purposes, the original Big Ethel was erased from existence and replaced with the current Ethel Muggs. I know they're supposed to be the same person, but be honest, they aren't.

Mighty Member

Thanks. A few characters have changed over the years. Archie looked like Howdy Doody in the 40s.

Moose was identified as dyslexic and doesn't say "duh' anymore.

Other missing characters include Ambrose from little Archie : cleverly reintroduced in the Married life. Pepper (she's Josie) made an appearance a few years ago and I would love to see her join the regular cast maybe as a hipster arsty (asian?) student. Face it - horn-rim glasses are cool!

I was fond of Eugene and Amani from short-lived The New Archies comic book. I prefer them to Chuck and Nancy

Mighty Member

Thanks. Do you find Chuck and Nancy a bit, dare I say it, "token"

What are some non PC moments in Archie?

One old story ends with Archie beaten by his father

The she's Josie tpb mentions the stories were from Less PC times : guys stalking melody and getting into punch ups over her..

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post

Nope. I never saw them this way.

If There is one thing I like about Chuck Clayton, it's that he is an artist. Comic book artist, specifically.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Actually it was Nancy that was more token and later dumping Chuck for a girl in Archie Afterlife.

Chuck actually had a OGN that was well received and to this date still sold out at Archie.

For a good chunk of Archie at Riverdale High-it was the adventures of Archie and Chuck.

According to one of the Archie artists-Fernando Ruiz-Archie wanted more usage of Chuck but all the writers failed on that.
    They included him in stories but he was just there more than actually being a larger part of the story.

Then came 2010-where Chuck pretty much stopped appearing in the main Archie book.

In fact other than Jughead's book-he didn't exist. Crappy appearances in Archie 1941 that was not needed.

Nancy got it worst where she had probably 2 cameos.

Tee Franklin's one shot marked the first time he and Nancy appeared in a new Archie book in 12 years.

And I do know he has some new stories that have yet to be published. One was suppose to be in a digest in 2019.

Funny Bingo and Jinx are getting the one shots while characters like Chuck rot away.

Mighty Member

Thanks for the info. I also like that Chuck is a comics artist/fan. The night at the comics shop tpb is worth checking out and features old characters like Wilbur, ginger, super duck plus some obscure adventure heroes coming to life..

I think Archie Comics should have a more diverse character cast. I don't remember seeing mainstream characters being Asian, Latino, Indigenous Native American, South Asian or Middle Eastern.

I remember some of the minor or footnote characters who once appeared in only one story.