Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ARCHIE comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    How strange that Archie and all the other teenagers are the only child in their families when Archie debuted in 1940's. The average American household has at least three children in 1940's and 1950's.

Jughead didn't have a younger sister until 1990's.

Betty has a couple of older siblings but it wasn't revealed until 1990's.
    Actually, Betty's older brother Chic and older sister Polly were both introduced in the 1960s in the pages of Little Archie.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

One the great pop songs of the 60's "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    One the great pop songs of the 60's "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies.
    And it was Billboard's #1 song of 1969.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billbo...ingles_of_1969

Retired

On New Year's Day, 1970, driving to our aunt and uncle's house for dinner, our family listened to CKLG count down the top songs of 1969 and we were delighted but surprised to hear that "Sugar Sugar" was number one. Well, "Sugar Sugar" was a Canadian song, as it featured Andy Kim on vocals, he co-wrote it with Jeff Barry. Made us proud as Archie fans and as Canadians.

I used to buy an Archie digest every so often at the check-out in the drugstore or the supermarket. But have you seen the prices lately? Sticker shock prevents me from getting them. Maybe I'll get one this summer for my birthday.

I bought the magazine LIFE WITH ARCHIE [THE MARRIED LIFE] on the strength of Norm Breyfogle's art. I read that D.C. wouldn't give him work and that seemed ridiculous to me--Breyfogle is one of the great ones--and I wanted to give him support. I think the way that Archie Comics handled the Married Life was the best way to do it. They didn't upset the Riverdale status quo--they just presented these stories as possible futures for the characters and not seriously in continuity.

I wish that D.C. had done the same with Superman's marriage and Marvel with Spider-Man's marriage. Allow the readers to indulge in the What-If, without having to commit to this reality for the rest of eternity.

Back in the day, especially when I was going through puberty (the early 1970s), I bought a number of Archies with Dan DeCarlo art, but my favourite Archie artist has got to be Samm Schwartz.

In the mid-1960s, Samm left Archie to work at Tower Comics, where he created Tippy Teen. When Tower came tumbling down, Samm went back to Archie where he remained for many years more.

Since we had lots of Archies around the house when I was a little kid (early 1960s) and those had classic Samm Schwartz art, that must be when I formed an attachment to his work. To see a Samm Schwartz page brings back all those feelings I had as a little kid. I loved his clean lines, the rubbery look of the characters and his inventive panel layouts.

Of course, Samm is best associated with Jughead, who was the real superstar of Archie when I was growing up. Archie Andrews was an all right sort of guy, but Jug was the coolest. He was the Fonzie to Archie's Richie.

Jughead was my favorite as well. Him and Hot Dog. I loved the stories they were in. I remember the old cartoon my dad had on VHS where Hot Dog joins the army and becomes a tank commander. That episode got me every time.

Everything's Archie the opening to that show is still my favorite Archie Song.
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-17-2023 at 06:40 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Everything's Archie cartoon Song.