Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Self-Contained Recommendations?

So I’ve read what you’d most likely call the “main” Batman books (Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Hush, Year 1, DKR) etc. but would like try and get some more classics - even if they’re a little more obscure. Can any recommend me a good self contained story?

As well as that - I’ve got an interest in “The War of Jokes and Riddles” and “Batman Universe” - are either worth checking out?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

War of Jokes and Riddles is great, but it is also has a framing device for the larger ongoing story. It doesn't really get in the way, though.

Batman Universe is an interesting throwback that I thought was a lot of fun. Batman acts/speaks a bit differently to the other stories you've read.

To compliment The Long Halloween there's the sequel, Dark Victory, which is a bit more divisive, but the Haunted Knight collection of the pre-Long Halloween Halloween specials by the same team is an absolute blast.

You've not mentioned Arkham Asylum (A Serious House on a Serious Earth), which is a must read if only for the art.

Over the last few years I've been really enjoying some of the Black Label stuff. Batman: The Imposter was really strong and beautiful to look at. The same artist did Joker: Killer Smile, which is similarly dark.

Under the (Red) Hood largely holds up and is the story of Batman facing someone who knows him inside and out.

If you can find copies I'd highly recommend Venom and Prey (originally from legends of the Dark Knight), and Batman: The Dark Knight Vol 2 - Cycle of Violence.

And if you fancy branching out into longer stories, No Man's Land was collected as 4 massive volumes and that's epic! In my opinion, the best Batman crossover.

I'd also say Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend holds up really well.

That's off the top of my head without getting much into general runs.
    Last edited by exile001; 05-04-2023 at 03:42 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I really enjoyed Batman Universe. Def. recommend it.

Incredible Member

Echoing others - Batman Universe and The Imposter (Black Label).

Will also throw in: The White Knight Series (Sean Murphy), currently a trilogy and the Earth One books.

All these are out of continuity/Elseworlds so they're pretty "self contained".

I recommend checking out the 1989 Legends of The Dark Knight series. Some classic stories in it like Shaman, Venom, Prey, Gothic.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I recommend checking out the 1989 Legends of The Dark Knight series. Some classic stories in it like Shaman, Venom, Prey, Gothic.
    I concur. My All-Time Favorite is HEAT! Highly Recommended (IMHO):

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Batman by Paul Dini is spectacular I think you can still pick up his omnibus

Batman & Robin by Tomasi is a stone cold classic

Detective Comics by Tynion is great it's newer but if you're a fan of Batman teaming up with cool peeps this is the book for you

Trinity by Wagner isn't a Batman book per se, but it has stellar art and a wonderful story of the Trinity teaming up for the first time

JLA Tower of Babel by Waid is Batgod to the nth degree, it's a real fun story

Batman Murderer/Fugitive by Brubaker and Rucka is a great who done it and written by industry greats it's super noir and pulpy

These are some of my favorite books as mentioned earlier is one of the best is Batman No Man's Land as well as everything by Loeb is great (even the first two arcs of Batman/Superman)

Extraordinary Member

If you like the 80s stuff "Batman: the Cult", "Batman: Son of the Demon" and "Batman Special #1 " are pretty good.

And from the newer Stuff the "Court of Owls" story was imo pretty good.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Batman: Earth One has 3 volumes which are pretty good. It's an elseworlds so it's entirely self-contained.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    "Batman: Son of the Demon"
    OMG! Totally agree. Highly Recommended (IMHO):

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

All of the above especially The Imposter and I'm adding Ego and The Batman's Grave (a cool running the gauntlet story)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Batman Prey
    First appearance of Hugo Strange set after Batman Year One

Birth of The Demon
    The origin of Ra's Al Ghul

Arkham City by Dan Watters

Batman Superman Generations is a fun Elseworlds. It shows what happens if Batman and Superman age. The story starts in the 40s and advances every ten years. It is a really great story. Batman gets married, has kids. Same with Superman. It is collected in a trade paperback that is easy to find on amazon.

The sequel Generations 2 is an alright story. Generations 3 is not really that good.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-13-2023 at 05:26 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.