Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

I've really got mixed feelings about this, because on one level I enjoyed the issue and thought it was well written, and I enjoyed seeing some of the actual dialogue from Flash Comics #1 in places where some of the scenes were recreated. On the other hand, I prefer blind chance and Jay's moral character making him into the Flash rather than some plot by an evil scientist, and I really dislike retcons that mess with long-established origin stories like this. I don't mind stuff going on around the fringes, which is what we got with Flash Comics #104 and the Rival, but this issue makes the villain responsible for the existence of original Flash. Maybe something in issues 5 and 6 will convince me that this was a good route to take with the story. I do like Jay's slowed aging getting recognized, since he's around 104 at this point and still pretty spry for a cool old guy.

Jay Garrick: The Flash #5 has had its release date moved from the February 20, 2024, to February 27, 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I've really got mixed feelings about this, because on one level I enjoyed the issue and thought it was well written, and I enjoyed seeing some of the actual dialogue from Flash Comics #1 in places where some of the scenes were recreated. On the other hand, I prefer blind chance and Jay's moral character making him into the Flash rather than some plot by an evil scientist, and I really dislike retcons that mess with long-established origin stories like this. I don't mind stuff going on around the fringes, which is what we got with Flash Comics #104 and the Rival, but this issue makes the villain responsible for the existence of original Flash. Maybe something in issues 5 and 6 will convince me that this was a good route to take with the story. I do like Jay's slowed aging getting recognized, since he's around 104 at this point and still pretty spry for a cool old guy.
    It reminded me of the Flash tv series where Wells (Thawne) was the cause of Barry getting his powers in that timeline.

This series is great but I could have lived without this change.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Same. It's all fitting together and it's well written but my instinct is always not to mess with the simplicity of longstanding origins.

That said, I almost feel like the original Jay on Earth 2 is so far away in time and continuity that this retcon is something distinct for this Earth and this current continuity, so I can live with it. It can probably be ignored in the future as well.

Extraordinary Member

Jay Garrick: The Flash #5 Preview
    Writer: Jeremy Adams
    Artist: Diego Olortegui

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Jay Garrick: The Flash #5 Preview
    Writer: Jeremy Adams
    Artist: Diego Olortegui

Somebody looked at Mercy Graves and thought "We can go full robot!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Somebody looked at Mercy Graves and thought "We can go full robot!"
    Sigh...when are people going to learn? You never go full robot.

This issue was a lot of fun, Adams should always be the writing the Flash characters. It never fails to be a fun ride.

Also, Joel Ciclone is now cannon to the DC lore. lol
    That's dope.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

spoilers:
    My boi Pieter Cross is back .
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Frontier his apperance was my favorite moment of the issue. I have been enjoying the mini-series, and Adams is bringing in some great JSA guest stars
    Last edited by cyclops1983; 02-27-2024 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This issue was a lot of fun, Adams should always be the writing the Flash characters. It never fails to be a fun ride.

That's dope.
    Adams back again with the obscure Flash trivia

Really fun issue, great to see Doctor Mid-Nite back! Dang tho that robot neck-snap imagery was spooky

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

That's dope.
    Yeah, that is dope, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    Adams back again with the obscure Flash trivia
    Not that obscure, in this case. I don't recall exactly when the switch to Flash happened here in Brazil, but if I'm not mistaken Jay was still Joel Cyclone by the 90's (unlike many other wacky translations that fell out of use way before.)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

That's dope.
    Sadly, Flushman also is canon.
    You can't win always.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Not that obscure, in this case. I don't recall exactly when the switch to Flash happened here in Brazil, but if I'm not mistaken Jay was still Joel Cyclone by the 90's (unlike many other wacky translations that fell out of use way before.)
    Well, is obscure for anyone that is not from here.
    That's why is cool that Adams actually took the time to put on a book.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    My boi Pieter Cross is back .
    end of spoilers
    That didn't surprise me. He appeared when Adams was Wally's writer too, he's the one who revealed that Linda was pregnant.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman