Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

This makes me want to read the Golden Age comics. Look forward to new stories for the Golden Ages Characters.

Extraordinary Member

Jay Garrick: The Flash #4 Preview
    Writer: Jeremy Adams
    Artist: Diego Olortegui

Now that I think about it, not often you see a STAR Labs origin story.

I never expected to encounter the name 'Joel Ciclone' in an English DC book. In the 1940s, when the Flash comic arrived in Brazil, Jay Garrick was dubbed Joel Ciclone, and that name stuck for a long, long time. I guess Jeremy Adams found this trivia during his research.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

BRAZIL MENTIONED! (Raises skol bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I never expected to encounter the name 'Joel Ciclone' in an English DC book. In the 1940s, when the Flash comic arrived in Brazil, Jay Garrick was dubbed Joel Ciclone, and that name stuck for a long, long time. I guess Jeremy Adams found this trivia during his research.

I think up to early 2000's. I have a foggy memory of this being undone only when Panini took over DC.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The big retcon in this issue gives me flashbacks to Futurama's big reveal. Anybody else?

So, there was an attempt to turn Joan into a speedster too? Could it be that she got the extended lifespan but not the speed powers, which would explain why she's still alive? And why she seemed to be gone in One Minute War - it's possible she was dead due to not having powers (she should be about 105 years old), but de-aged and thus revived when Stargirl found Judy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The big retcon in this issue gives me flashbacks to Futurama's big reveal. Anybody else?
    I like that they kept the detail that Jay was smoking when he got his powers (later retellings tend to edit that detail out), though obviously now it’s no longer the REASON he got his powers.

Also appreciated the small nod to Edward Clariss (the Rival), though it’s really kind of pushing believability that TWO of Jay’s professors were evil geniuses. (And also, Clariss seemed to be able to duplicate Jay’s accident and get super speed with no trouble, which severely undercuts this guy’s struggles and theory that the accident just activated Jay’s latent X-gene… er, metagene.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Honestly, in this day and age it's not at all surprising. Big retcons like this feel like they're standard fare now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

It's a Flushman Fact

I'm enjoying that this series didn't go for the "same but opposite" for arch-enemies. There are already so many evil speedsters/anti-speedsters.

Also, not for nothing, but the flashback in #3 bothered me in that nobody else could try to catch Dr E except Jay and Boom? Then when she's falling, Jay's the only one who could catch her? GL, Hawkman and Dr Fate are right there. That's twice now, I've been dissatisfied with how Adams handles the JSA in this series. I get this is a Flash book, but find some other way to get them out of the picture rather than just have them be ineffectual in a way that makes no sense.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-22-2024 at 09:28 AM.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

I was surprised about Star Labs origin, but I remember when I was a kid that I did found suspicious about a Science Labs that do good things with no malevolent, because lots Labs DC were evil ones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    I like that they kept the detail that Jay was smoking when he got his powers (later retellings tend to edit that detail out), though obviously now it’s no longer the REASON he got his powers.

Also appreciated the small nod to Edward Clariss (the Rival), though it’s really kind of pushing believability that TWO of Jay’s professors were evil geniuses. (And also, Clariss seemed to be able to duplicate Jay’s accident and get super speed with no trouble, which severely undercuts this guy’s struggles and theory that the accident just activated Jay’s latent X-gene… er, metagene.)
    Yeah, I was pretty surprised they had him smoking a cigarette in a modern comic, regardless of how era-appropriate it would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    This issue really got all of the details from Jay's initial organ in Flash Comics, and I'm really glad about it. It makes Judy, Doctor Elemental, & all this New Golden Age stuff feel more genuine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty surprised they had him smoking a cigarette in a modern comic, regardless of how era-appropriate it would have been.
    Considering DC's sordid relationship with Constantine smoking even in explicitly adult labeled imprints yeah, it surprised me too. A great exception to take though!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm enjoying that this series didn't go for the "same but opposite" for arch-enemies. There are already so many evil speedsters/anti-speedsters.

Also, not for nothing, but the flashback in #3 bothered me in that nobody else could try to catch Dr E except Jay and Boom? Then when she's falling, Jay's the only one who could catch her? GL, Hawkman and Dr Fate are right there. That's twice now, I've been dissatisfied with how Adams handles the JSA in this series. I get this is a Flash book, but find some other way to get them out of the picture rather than just have them be ineffectual in a way that makes no sense.
    Well Jay technically already has Rival, though very little has been done for him outside of that bit in Johns' JSA where he possesses Max. No need to retread that old ground. A sort of prequel to the Alchemy line of villains is pretty solid, though.