Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Adams does seem to know how to make kid characters likeable though...
    It's not that I don't like any kid characters. I like the various Robins and I'm a huge fan of Impulse. But it just feels like Johns retconning something major about Jay to add in yet another legacy character in an already cluttered area.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 05-07-2023 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    It's not that I don't like any kid characters. I like the various Robins and I'm a huge fan of Impulse. But it just feels like Johns retconning something major about Jay to add in yet another legacy character in an already cluttered area.
    I do feel like he's introducing a lot of new characters and concepts that I'm not sure they'll have the space to do anything with. Though at least Judy gets this mini.

You don't need a secret identity to have a codename.
    No, but it does mean the codename will be used less often. No need to stick to codenames in costume if your identity isn't secret.

Adams does seem to know how to make kid characters likeable though...
    Yeah, Irey and Jai are fun, and Ace's interactions with Wally and Bart are great too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No, but it does mean the codename will be used less often. No need to stick to codenames in costume if your identity isn't secret.
    That's more a problem in the movies in my opinion.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

How many solo books has Jay Garrick had since his 1961 return?

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    How many solo books has Jay Garrick had since his 1961 return?
    None. He was obviously a very important character in the Flash book and even had a couple of issues dedicated to him, and he was also fairly prominent in Johns JSA book.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Yeah, this is his first solo book since the golden age Flash Comics ended.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Goddamn, that is crazy to think about.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Man, who would've thought that we'd finally get a second Flash book, for the first time in twenty+ years.....and it's about Jay?

Find myself torn on this one though. Adams is great, and a writer I trust with the Flash mythos. But this hook just isn't doing anything for me. I'm not reading Johns' new JSA stuff (I'll get the trade, if word is good) but I don't like the idea of these retro-legacies, like the "original" Red Lantern and Aquaman of the Golden Age. That just seems like a complication the characters and DC don't need.

And do we need a secret daughter for Jay? That changes so much of his character and his relationships. I'll wait for previews, see how the thing looks. I'd very much like to read this and Adams' name makes me inclined to grab it, but the hook just isn't grabbing me.

Absolutely checking out Sandman though. And if they do Starman that **** goes straight on the pull list as soon as its announced.
    All of this!

However, I was the guy who desperately wanted Jay to have a stint as the main Flash waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when Wally disappeared during Infinite Crisis, so I'll probably grab this just because I want to see the guy get a spotlight.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    All of this!

However, I was the guy who desperately wanted Jay to have a stint as the main Flash waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when Wally disappeared during Infinite Crisis, so I'll probably grab this just because I want to see the guy get a spotlight.
    Technically Jay was the main Flash during the missing year between Infinite Crisis and One Year Later.
    We just never saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Not really. Remember, most superhero books from DC ended in the early 1950s or were changed to mostly non-superhero features.

Superheroes did start making a resurgence after Showcase #4 presented a new, updated version of The Flash, but it's not as if DC suddenly revived a bunch of the Golden Age characters as they were in their own solo titles. Aside from the Golden Age era Wonder Woman taking over the Wonder Woman comic book for about a year or so back in the 1970s (when she was the focus of a major network TV show), very few of the Golden Age characters have had their own solo books in the Silver Age or later. (And those characters who might have, like Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, etc., were basically newer somewhat separate versions of those Golden Age characters.)

Most superhero books, period. Wasn't it only Detective, Batman, Action, Superman, Superboy, Wonder Woman, and Adventure (which housed Aquaman and Green Arrow as well as being a second home for Superboy) which continued without switching genres or being cancelled? All of which were National (DC) books. Timely/Atlas, the company that later became Marvel, tried reviving Captain America a couple of times, but it didn't stick. Captain Marvel's line got cancelled due to DC's lawsuit, putting Fawcett out of the superhero comics business for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    And I think it's the same for Alan Scott too, his mini will be his first series since the original Green Lantern book was cancelled.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-10-2023 at 09:45 AM.

Incredible Member

And I think it's the same for Alan Scott too, his mini will be his first series since the original Green Lantern book was cancelled.
    Solo mini, yep, I think you’re right. He co-headlined “Green Lantern/Sentinel: Heart of Darkness” 1-3 and the horribly-named one-shot “Underworld Unleashed: Abyss - Hell’s Sentinel,” and the prestige format “Green Lantern: Brightest Day, Blackest Night,” and he had a permanent feature in “Green Lantern Corp Quarterly” (but of course, that was an anthology). And the Solomon Grundy mini kind of doubled as an Alan Scott mini, but of course his name wasn’t in the title.

Extraordinary Member

Most superhero books, period. Wasn't it only Detective, Batman, Action, Superman, Superboy, Wonder Woman, and Adventure (which housed Aquaman and Green Arrow as well as being a second home for Superboy) which continued without switching genres or being cancelled? All of which were National (DC) books. Timely/Atlas, the company that later became Marvel, tried reviving Captain America a couple of times, but it didn't stick. Captain Marvel's line got cancelled due to DC's lawsuit, putting Fawcett out of the superhero comics business for good.

Edit: never mind. The Lucky One beat me to it.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I do feel like he's introducing a lot of new characters and concepts that I'm not sure they'll have the space to do anything with. Though at least Judy gets this mini.
    Considering Johns was angry over 9 years of hard work being erased out of continuity, it makes sense to what he's doing with the JSA.