Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Who are these characters?! Definitely not Rogue and Gambit. Idk what What If? universe this is taking place in, but it's pretty awful

I am so fucking tired of Destiny at this point. Its always "You have to do VAGUE THING or else we're all DOOMED!" and then both the thing and the threat are stupid.

The art on Rogue's face looks like Jubilee for some reason

Fantastic Member

This is really weird, what is the mind of X-office? Did they think Gambit fans would really like scene? What is their end goal here?

Imagine trying to sell a comic in 2023 based solely on "hate-watch".

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I am so fucking tired of Destiny at this point. Its always "You have to do VAGUE THING or else we're all DOOMED!" and then both the thing and the threat are stupid.

The art on Rogue's face looks like Jubilee for some reason
    Thank you! I couldn't figure out what it was that made me react but now I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Yeah it shouldn't go that well, and by the few accounts we have of sales issue 2 had a huge drop. It just seems so out of touch with the fans.

I can't wait for this to be over. Even the destiny&mystique panel added nothing to the story beyond a "remember them?! Remember the prophecy?!". You have to weave stuff like that into the story. Keep the characters active in the story if you want to use them. Not this page that just seems to say "this is the couple I actually wanted to write".

Didn't anyone in the X-office realize that the people who were going to buy a Rogue&Gambit mini were the couple's fans?
    And you don't even have to be a fan of them as a couple or as individuals to realize that this is not going to be liked.
    As a business plan, it's absurd...I still don't get it at all.

Well I guess calling the book Destiny's Mission wasn't going to sell that well.
    Last edited by Ilargi; 05-06-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    Didn't anyone in the X-office realize that the people who were going to buy a Rogue&Gambit mini were the couple's fans?
    And you don't even have to be a fan of them as a couple or as individuals to realize that this is not going to be liked.

Oh but it's very simple. They act not as writers or editors but as fans who hate Gambit and want Rogue single to pair her with themselves, I mean... with their favorite character. So they write their own fanfiction.

My new conspiracy theory is that Magneto was killed off because he's the most logical rebound relationship Rogue would have post-divorce. With him out of the way, the x-office is free to pair her with whoever they want *cough* Deadpool *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant101 View Post
    This is really weird, what is the mind of X-office? Did they think Gambit fans would really like scene? What is their end goal here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yeah it shouldn't go that well, and by the few accounts we have of sales issue 2 had a huge drop. It just seems so out of touch with the fans.
    Yep, I am blown away by the fact that the X-Office editors read and approved the pages of this series we have seen so far and thought, "Yep, this is what Rogue and Gambit fans want!". Do they really think this is good, or is there really an agenda like some think? Even outside of my complaints about the characterization of both characters and the poor treatment of Gambit, it has just been a mediocre and often miserable read so far. Who wants to read about a married couple interacting with each other like this? Who wants to see heroes acting the way they both did last issue? There hasn't been their usual back and forth teasing banter, it has just been Rogue scolding and talking down to Gambit over and over again, and Gambit just... being there I guess. I really don't get it and I am sad that I dread the arrival of a comic titled Rogue and Gambit.

Ha! Exactly.

Fantastic Member

Hey guys Forge is getting massacred here too. Who leaves spherical explosives on a flat surface unsecured like that? Only explanation is he's lying and they are exactly what Gambit thinks they are: shiny marbles to add to his collection.

... I almost didn't even comment on this, my apathy and frustration with X-editorial is so beyond fixing at this point.

This book is downright shitty to fans of these two characters. In what universe do they think we'd be liking this?

Rogue has no business (or history of) being so over-the-top snippy and mean at someone, let alone her own husband, a man she freaking pulled away from heaven because she wanted a life with him and the only one who wanted to be with her when she couldn't touch anyone and actively was pushing people away. The one person who has always stood by her.

And this whole book is a complete character assasination of Gambit ... he has been absolutely useless and ineffective in basically every panel, completely childish, villainous under circumstances that were mild at best ... clearly being set-up as the one to ruin everything ... #$@&ing original editorial.

Honestly I'm not letting Stephanie Phillips off the hook either. This was not well researched. It makes me not want to read anything else she's done.

I feel bad for Carlos Gomez. He's drawing what he was asked to and it's very nice overall, but nice art can't fix bad writing.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 05-06-2023 at 06:50 PM.

For someone who isn't a fan of their marriage, I would agree that writers shouldn't write characters or marriage coupled relationships (at that) if they don't research the material or have experience themselves. The book doesn't bother me none, just the characterization of both characters is way off. Idk if the writer is going by what happened to Gambit in Excalibur for why she is writing him like that. As for Rogue I feel some writers miss the current memo on where she is currently versus the memo time stamped 12 years ago. Sigh, I'm hoping it will make some sense by the end of the series. UA can't come soon enough imo.

Ultimate Member

I picked up the first issue hoping for better, but didn't bother with the second.

There's a trend of Homer-izing characters that bugs me. Various competent experienced heroes like Clint Barton or Scott Lang or Dane Whitman or Jen Walters, or now Gambit, sort of turn into bumbling incompetents, stumbling into situations and flailing about making them even worse (usually needing a more competent and capable person to bail them out of whatever mess they've gotten themselves into), and it just annoys me.

There are characters out there, some Falstaffian and bombastic, or with a history of 'not the best choices,' like Hercules or Strong Guy or Volstagg, who could be used for this sort of low-brow humor, which, IMO, should be used sparingly, even for them, and not with all the subtlety of a Three Stooges sketch. Or some less seasoned / more impetuous characters like Chrome or Texas Twister or Dragoness or Unuscione, could be seen making impulsive or bone-headed or emotional or sub-optimal choices, if that's the 'funny screw-up' needed to advance the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    My new conspiracy theory is that Magneto was killed off because he's the most logical rebound relationship Rogue would have post-divorce. With him out of the way, the x-office is free to pair her with whoever they want *cough* Deadpool *cough*
    THE ERA OF ROGNETO IS COMMING BACK. All Hail Anna Marie Lensherr Queen of Krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    THE ERA OF ROGNETO IS COMMING BACK. All Hail Anna Marie Lensherr Queen of Krakoa
    Lmao, hearing that Rogue might become single again is what finally convinces Erik to return from the dead.