Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Yeah, you can't tell me this writer is any kind of fan of Gambit. yeesh...
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This hate letter to Gambit and his fans is disgusting at this point.

He blows things up!!!
    Last edited by Ilargi; 05-05-2023 at 11:56 AM.

If they need help tracking Manifold then why not ask Caliban directly? I don't want to see the suit again lol
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

I am sure there is some movie where the male lead acts exactly like this that I just can't remember where Phillips is pulling this from. Sorry to the Gambit fans.

Not that it will matter in the big picture but I wonder, if this is maybe dealing with something that can be a Fall of X issue, is this before the SoS fallout? I don't trust Destiny but I am curious what could be bigger than that or what this might be hinting at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    If they need help tracking Manifold then why not ask Caliban directly? I don't want to see the suit again lol
    It seems like Rogue is trying to not let anyone know anything they are doing. Just asking for the suit from Forge has probably shared too much.

Gambit is going to ruin everything! Oh, that stupid Gambit, foiling all of Destiny’s plans! Look at that moron touching all the bombs!

Is Rogue being privy to the Caliban suit the ‘secret’ she’s been keeping? Rogue knows QC secrets and Gambit doesn’t oh noes! This will lead to more totally believable drama! Ffs, what utter sh—. Can’t wait to see Gambit get all pissy and overdramatic and stomp away like a little b!tch.

Well… at least it’s nice to see Mystique finally acknowledge her favorite child’s existence this era.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am sure there is some movie where the male lead acts exactly like this that I just can't remember where Phillips is pulling this from. Sorry to the Gambit fans.

Not that it will matter in the big picture but I wonder, if this is maybe dealing with something that can be a Fall of X issue, is this before the SoS fallout? I don't trust Destiny but I am curious what could be bigger than that or what this might be hinting at.

It seems like Rogue is trying to not let anyone know anything they are doing. Just asking for the suit from Forge has probably shared too much.
    Someone once asked the writer on Twitter her favorite fictional couples, and she listed Jake/Amy from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. So if she’s not a big fan of Rogue/Gambit (or only peripherally remembers them from the ‘90s, or worst case scenario - was just told to “brush up” by skimming Tini Howard’s take), it definitely explains why Gambit is Andy Samberg-ing it up and Rogue mutated from mischievous spitfire to humorless Type A Girl Scout… which isn’t their dynamic (or characters) at all.

Again, remember - Phillips didn’t pitch for this book, it was already plotted out for her when the X-Office approached her. I have a feeling that the lion’s share of our complaints rest on their shoulders.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

LOL why call Caliban in person when you can just wear him? Next issue: need optic blasts? Just keep a pair of Scott's eyeballs in your pockets! Ruby quartz contact lenses not included.

At this point I hope Destiny's mission is to save every form of life in the Galaxy just to make sense. But seeing as the "secret" is Forge's stupid suit, I imagine the mission will be to save the Green Lagoons Martinis plant.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterhood Of Mutants View Post
    Well… at least it’s nice to see Mystique finally acknowledge her favorite child’s existence this era.

Someone once asked the writer on Twitter her favorite fictional couples, and she listed Jake/Amy from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. So if she’s not a big fan of Rogue/Gambit (or only peripherally remembers them from the ‘90s, or worst case scenario - was just told to “brush up” by skimming Tini Howard’s take), it definitely explains why Gambit is Andy Samberg-ing it up and Rogue mutated from mischievous spitfire to humorless Type A Girl Scout… which isn’t their dynamic (or characters) at all.

Again, remember - Phillips didn’t pitch for this book, it was already plotted out for her when the X-Office approached her. I have a feeling that the lion’s share of our complaints rest on their shoulders.
    This explains so much. Ugh, what a waste of a mini
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterhood Of Mutants View Post

As a fellow fan of Jake and Amy let me be the first to say Jake may have goofed a lot, but even HE isn't as bad as Gambit is coming across here. Jake Perolta would never tie up an innocent waitress because someone else was a cop and would save him. Also it was a comedy, i don't think this is suppose to be. lol This is no Jake and Amy.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    As a fellow fan of Jake and Amy let me be the first to say Jake may have goofed a lot, but even HE isn't as bad as Gambit is coming across here. Jake Perolta would never tie up an innocent waitress because someone else was a cop and would save him. Also it was a comedy, i don't think this is suppose to be. lol This is no Jake and Amy.
    Yes also a Jake&Amy fan here. That scene where Gambit looks through the magnifying glass says it all; Gambit is the comedic relief. Man-child humor for some reason.

Jake Peralta and Gambit are very far from each other as characters go. I mean would anyone make the connection… it just seems ludicrous. I am talking on a writing level now, not the observation that has been made here.

I have said it before but Rogue is being done a huge disservice here. One of the reasons why she and Remy works together are their personalities. If you change them then they don’t work anymore. This is just basic understanding of fiction. I mean basic as in capital basic understanding.
    Take away the fun out of Rogue and reduce Gambit to this man-child and this what you get. Not one of marvels hottest, and best if you ask me, couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yes also a Jake&Amy fan here. That scene where Gambit looks through the magnifying glass says it all; Gambit is the comedic relief. Man-child humor for some reason.

Jake Peralta and Gambit are very far from each other as characters go. I mean would anyone make the connection… it just seems ludicrous. I am talking on a writing level now, not the observation that has been made here.

I have said it before but Rogue is being done a huge disservice here. One of the reasons why she and Remy works together are their personalities. If you change them then they don’t work anymore. This is just basic understanding of fiction. I mean basic as in capital basic understanding.
    Take away the fun out of Rogue and reduce Gambit to this man-child and this what you get. Not one of marvels hottest, and best if you ask me, couples.
    That’s my biggest issue, too. They’re not some typical sitcom couple trope, with the fun-loving manchild and the strait-laced woman (yawn), they’re superpowered Nick and Nora Charles. They’re probably two of the X-Men who are most popular for not just their aesthetics/power sets/“look what I can do!!!” splash page feats, but their actual personalities. That’s why their personality transplants have stuck out more than most others this era, despite their comparative lack of pagetime.

...At least the art is still nice.

I’m with you. ‘The art is nice’ is the review given for the last 4 years for when you have nothing else nice to say.

I have lots of mean things to say though! Like: Gambit isn’t even comedic relief, he’s the patsy, the stooge, set up leading to “everything we have built will be lost, we will be lost.” His bumbling idiocy will lead to the downfall of whatever moral high ground they’ve assigned to Rogue/Destiny.

I’d call Gambit a HERO if Krakoa is doomed because I am just done with it, but I doubt mutantkind will. I’m sorry, but Hellions was the only bright spot in the last 4 years, nothing else makes me relate to, or want to hang around with, or root for any of these characters. They are so …annoying and stupid and… mean!

I guess I’m just mean too. At least there’s Captain Marvel.