Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I find myself sharply disagreeing with critical consensus these days.

For example, Evil Dead Rise got rave reviews and I think it's the best reviewed Evil Dead movie ever. I watched it and I only found it ok. I thought the 2013 was far superior (that movie is criminally underrated).

Maybe it's just me but it's something I've noticed quite recently. Maybe its because there are more critics on RT and Metacritic than ever before.

Seriously anyone who saw the movie and didnt come away with holy shit that was a great movie is full of crap. That was a great movie. I dont care how sick of the MCU you are. There is literally nothing wrong with this movie. I couldn't even nitpick anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Between this and the trailer for The Marvels, someone at Marvel's been on a Beasties kick as of late. And I'm all for it.
    Yes this exactly. The music in this movie is outstanding and that song was pure fire.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    One of the many things I enjoyed is that this bucked the trend of "villain isn't that bad, gets redeemed in the end". The High Evolutionary was just evil,.with no redeeming qualities, doesn't get better, learns nothing
    Agreed.

Somewhere along the way, being a "sympathetic villain with redeeming qualities" became equated with being a "strong villain" or a "complex villain" to the point where it's now become a cliche.

Ironically, the MCU's very first villain - Obadiah Stane - didn't fit into that mold either

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This bolded part is very important.

Death as a storytelling tool has become very misused IMO. The last James Bond movie ending with his death was silly to me. James Bond will always come back, so what really was the point?

GoTG 3 showed that ending=/=death. The characters and the audience felt a sense of loss due to the end of a chapter BUT it's also a new beginning for all of them. I think more filmmakers should look at this. The way I understood it, simply killing a character at the end of the story seemed like an easy shortcut, it's much more difficult to craft an ending like the one we saw in GoTG vol 3.
    Well, in the case of James Bond, admittedly it did subvert expectations with regards to that particular franchise...but still, it ended up being part of a trend. Given how much the Daniel Craig era consciously or unconsciously drew influence from other contemporary films and trends (the Bourne films, Nolanverse Batman, even the MCU) I can't help but wonder if they'd have pulled the trigger (pun intended ) on killing off Bond if there hadn't been a well-established trend of major characters being killed off over the past decade.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious to see how the upcoming Mission Impossible films tackle the impending ending of Ethan Hunt's story. Will Cruise want his most definitive character to go out in a blaze of glory, or will they be creative and come up with a more unique conclusion?

Saw this a couple days ago.
    Man, those scenes of Rockets childhood were tough for me to watch.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Incredible Member

Watched it. Loved it. No notes.
    10/10.

Astonishing Member

Greatly enjoyed the movie, even though i can't pinpoint what made it click for me so much.

It feels like there are many small weaknesses which could be brought up, but the end result was just too good to nitpick.