Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Oh I didn't know he got nerfed in speed.
    The old ruling is not listed in the mod ruling sticky thread. You can see the breakdown of why opinions shifted against him in this thread. I linked to a summary from Pen that was pretty good if you don't want to read the whole thing.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ll=1#post28973

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I think it's #1
    Okay, so perusing the issue, nothing indicating any kind of auto pilot, so he's presembly retaining his mind through all of that.

However, I did discover that the Thanos in that scene is amped. He's currently an agent of Death and as a result has been amped by her. Specically, it's stated that she has already increased his might.

Thanos himself also notes in the page right before the feat "Journeying there is not something that I would have dared in my past incarnation. But that has all changed. Now I am an Agent of Death and her paramour. Now I fear nothing...save failure"

So the feat has an asterisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Okay, so perusing the issue, nothing indicating any kind of auto pilot, so he's presembly retaining his mind through all of that.
    Yes, the scan shows as much as has been pointed out several times now by different posters.

However, I did discover that the Thanos in that scene is amped. He's currently an agent of Death and as a result has been amped by her. Specically, it's stated that she has already increased his might.
    The only thing that changed is that Thanos for all intents and purposes, having been 86'ed by Lady Death at the time, is immortal.

Thanos himself also notes in the page right before the feat "Journeying there is not something that I would have dared in my past incarnation. But that has all changed. Now I am an Agent of Death and her paramour. Now I fear nothing...save failure"

So the feat has an asterisk.
    What asterisk exactly? Did I misunderstand you? Is he currently still ousted from Death? If so, why would the results be different for a speed steal?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Okay, so...looking at the feat:

Whether or not Thanos is immune to the physical effects of the magical realm he enters on his way to the Nexus is neither here nor there.

What matters is he is functionally coherent through the entire ordeal.

If Thanos can maintain clear cognition throughout an experience like the above, why would speed steal stop him from thinking? The burden of proof is on "Flash" to produce feats that indicate he can overcome a guy who, by default, has control over his molecular structure per being an eternal, but as well, due to Death's ouster, can ultimately bounce speed steal, even if it were to stop his other body functions, although temporarily. If speed steal works temporarily, Thanos can still telepathically control <insert version of Flash here>, and make him reverse said speed steal, if need be, and destroy him at his leisure.

And as mentioned, BFR won't work on Thanos as Thanos has demonstrated the ability to teleport from one dimension to the next. He's even teleported a group of people along with himself, although, with some effort.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yes, the scan shows as much as has been pointed out several times now by different posters.
    And if you'd read my posts you would have seen that I was responding to those statements and checking if the context provided by the preceding pages would prove otherwise.
    The only thing that changed is that Thanos for all intents and purposes, having been 86'ed by Lady Death at the time, is immortal.
    Wrong. The comic book says outright that she made him stronger
    What asterisk exactly?
    Thanos abilities were amped by Death. Therefore the feat is not be performed by Standard Thanos

And if you'd read my posts you would have seen that I was responding to those statements and checking if the context provided by the preceding pages would prove otherwise.

Wrong. The comic book says outright that she made him stronger
    Stronger in what way?

Thanos abilities were amped by Death. Therefore the feat is not be performed by Standard Thanos
    Good grief. "Standard" Thanos has been an avatar Death for decades and his ouster from Death itself took place at least as far back as (EDIT) Cosmic Powers Unlimited which was written almost 30 years ago.

If your comment is that Thanos is no longer ousted from Death, do you have scans to that effect?

Does anyone here have scans to that effect?
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-10-2023 at 12:06 AM.
    ----------------------

So to answer my own question, it looks like Thanos: Death Notes clearly indicates Thanos still belongs to Lady Death, as she clearly indicates to Thor in that book. So, unless something has changed since issue 1 of that series, he is still functionally immortal and should handle speed steal like he did all the other effects of the magical realm just before the Nexus.
    ----------------------

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Wait, on the issue of Speed Stealing and Thought. Isn't that irrelevant even to a human. The situation with that one speedster (forgot his name) when Wally (or Barry) did a speed steal and left him in the museum so that he can see and think without moving forever to be in a frozen catatonic state. So Thanos can easily think while he's frozen. The issue is can he fight back?
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    Wait, on the issue of Speed Stealing and Thought. Isn't that irrelevant even to a human. The situation with that one speedster (forgot his name) when Wally (or Barry) did a speed steal and left him in the museum so that he can see and think without moving forever to be in a frozen catatonic state. So Thanos can easily think while he's frozen. The issue is can he fight back?
    I have been considering the same thing, the exact same instance. I'm unsure if a speed steal actually slows everything about a person down - including their thoughts, etc - to nothing, and the Flash was just being rather nasty with this specific instance* and slowed that person down physically while leaving their brain essentially running at normal speed.

I mean, that's the kind of weird **** Flash can do.

So I have no idea.

Either way, I feel Thanos isn't going to have a problem shrugging off the speed steal. Either it flat-out doesn't work on him, or he endures it then says 'Whatever' and pushes it off.

Mileage may vary, of course!

* the guy was a real ****, as I recall, who did something like 'get the Rogues to kill one of the Flashes', which even the Rogues thought 'whooo, that was...nope, nope' afterward. I'm misremembering some of the details, but wasn't it something along those lines?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I have been considering the same thing, the exact same instance. I'm unsure if a speed steal actually slows everything about a person down - including their thoughts, etc - to nothing, and the Flash was just being rather nasty with this specific instance* and slowed that person down physically while leaving their brain essentially running at normal speed.

I mean, that's the kind of weird **** Flash can do.

So I have no idea.
    It's been a hot minute but, from what I recall, it was Inertia who got frozen by Wally after he'd gotten Bart killed. His mind still being active was, as I recall, a specific thing Flash did.

He's also made people think and move way faster than normal so I don't see any reason why he couldn't slow theiir minds down just like he does to their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's been a hot minute but, from what I recall, it was Inertia who got frozen by Wally after he'd gotten Bart killed. His mind still being active was, as I recall, a specific thing Flash did.
    Inertia, yes, thank you. And that's what I thought - that it was a deliberate thing.

He's also made people think and move way faster than normal so I don't see any reason why he couldn't slow theiir minds down just like he does to their bodies.
    I suspect normally that's what transpires.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Either way, I feel Thanos isn't going to have a problem shrugging off the speed steal. Either it flat-out doesn't work on him, or he endures it then says 'Whatever' and pushes it off.
    I suppose the devil is in the details when it comes down to the "endures it then pushes it off" part. If doing that requires conscious thought and it takes 85 million years to process the thought that makes the speed steal go away, is it even relevant that he can do it at that point?

The guy is thinking just fine with his head hollowed out, turned to crystal, melted, gone all woobie, whatever.

I don't expect he'll have trouble thinking through 'molecules slowed down to no motion'. ^_^ Compared to 'lacking brain', that doesn't seem terribly serious.
    Why are we here?

I think it's worth noting that we don't actually see Thanos doing anything as he travels through thee dimensions. He just endures. The fact that the comic uses narration instead of thought balloons or word balloons doesn't even allow us to assume his narration is done in real time. For all we can tell during his travels, his thought process may have been reduces to "PPPbbtttstttsssburghmphs!" during his travels and all he was doing was sitting there until he finished passing through.

In fact he specifically states that it's physically and spiritually taxing.

The second big point I have is ... how the &^%#^%$!!! does the speed steal even work? The Flash's powers are even more ill defined than Dr. Stranges at times. Sometimes it's "blah blah blah effects molecules" other times the speed force is some psychedelic alternate energy dimension linked to our own that affects everything beyond the restrictions of time, space, and reality and is sometimes just Barry Allen.

If it's affecting molecules, then I feel safe in saying Thanos can shake it off or build a resistance to it. If it's some weird spiritual reality affecting thing, even Starlin had that kind of stuff affect Thanos.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 05-10-2023 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think it's worth noting that we don't actually see Thanos doing anything as he travels through thee dimensions. He just endures. The fact that the comic uses narration instead of thought balloons or word balloons doesn't even allow us to assume his narration is done in real time. For all we can tell during his travels, his thought process may have been reduces to "PPPbbtttstttsssburghmphs!" during his travels and all he was doing was sitting there until he finished passing through.
    Unless I'm wrong, his fancy chair requires him to actually control it. Unless it has autopilot?
    Why are we here?