Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Flash (comics) vs Thanos (comics)

1) Standard fight
    2) Flash gets 1 week of prep
    3) Thanos and Flash both get a week of prep
    4) Thanos and Flash both end up in a sort of combination DC and Marvel universe where everything from both universes exist. They have to take each other down and have a month of prep on each side to do it.

Who takes it?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Thanos clean sweep. Flash can't do anything to the guy.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Yeah, we always peg Flash vs Surfer as being a comfortable win for Surfer. Whereas Surfer going full-out on a several-power-ups-ago Thanos simply warranted a casual response of “Are you through?”

Barry doesn’t want any part of Thanos.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Can't he just speed steal him?

I know Thanos has that "complete control over his molecules," stuff but I don't see how that overcomes Barry just draining him of all kinetic energy and leaving him timelocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

I know Thanos has that "complete control over his molecules," stuff but I don't see how that overcomes Barry just draining him of all kinetic energy and leaving him timelocked.
    Thanos, many upgrades ago, ignores reality warping effects because "I'm Thanos, the Thanos abides."

It's not just "control of molecules." That's bush league, you-must-be-this-tall-to-ride" for any Eternal.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Thanos, many upgrades ago, ignores reality warping effects because "I'm Thanos, the Thanos abides."

It's not just "control of molecules." That's bush league, you-must-be-this-tall-to-ride" for any Eternal.
    I'm aware of the sequence from Thanos Quest, I'm asking what he has that allows him to ignore a speed steal specifically.

I'm aware of the sequence from Thanos Quest, I'm asking what he has that allows him to ignore a speed steal specifically.
    Ignoring reality warping, for me, is enough. Also, has Flash ever speed-stole someone on Thanos' level? Like, that kind of thing has to matter, if not, Flash can speed-steal Odin, or Galactus, or PR Beyonder. None of them have ever specifically resisted speed force speed stealing.

Ignoring reality warping, for me, is enough. Also, has Flash ever speed-stole someone on Thanos' level? Like, that kind of thing has to matter, if not, Flash can speed-steal Odin, or Galactus, or PR Beyonder. None of them have ever specifically resisted speed force speed stealing.
    Couple of things;

1) It's a bit disingenuous to insinuate that I'm claiming that Flash has no limits. Further to that; Odin, Galactus and, especially Beyonder, are all orders of magnitude more powerful than Thanos and have wildly higher level feats than him. They are not comparable cases.

2) The reality warping effects in Thanos Quest (which is the main feat I see get trotted out for proof of his resistances) is a product of Thanos passing through dimensions that have weird effects on him. Pointedly, he passes through them and we specifically see that the warping took effect because he is turned into crystal/changes shape/melts/and so on. Since he leaves those dimensions behind, it's not unreasonable to assume that the effect that changes him is no longer in contact he returns return to normal. We specifically don't see him block the effects in a clear way, it happens to him and he survives and returns to normal. This is not good grounds for suggesting that he can just not have the Speed Force affect him when the feat cited shows him being affected.

3) I don't know Barry's scale of feats and he's the current Flash to my knowledge, but Wally has speed stolen planets, other speedsters and a bunch of other superhumans to a fairly high level. I don't see why Thanos gets a free pass from an effect on that level when he has no real feats to the contrary.

Extraordinary Member

3) I don't know Barry's scale of feats and he's the current Flash to my knowledge, but Wally has speed stolen planets, other speedsters and a bunch of other superhumans to a fairly high level. I don't see why Thanos gets a free pass from an effect on that level when he has no real feats to the contrary.
    I'm pretty sure Wally is the current Flash in the comics actually. The current run focuses on him and his family.

And I agree that Thanos shouldn't be able to ignore a speed steal. The other reality warping effects he's withstood have all been focused on hurting him. The speed steal does something different enough.

Also, can't a Flash just run Thanos to some distant place in time and just dump him there for a ring out?

Couple of things;

1) It's a bit disingenuous to insinuate that I'm claiming that Flash has no limits. Further to that; Odin, Galactus and, especially Beyonder, are all orders of magnitude more powerful than Thanos and have wildly higher level feats than him. They are not comparable cases.

2) The reality warping effects in Thanos Quest (which is the main feat I see get trotted out for proof of his resistances) is a product of Thanos passing through dimensions that have weird effects on him. Pointedly, he passes through them and we specifically see that the warping took effect because he is turned into crystal/changes shape/melts/and so on. Since he leaves those dimensions behind, it's not unreasonable to assume that the effect that changes him is no longer in contact he returns return to normal. We specifically don't see him block the effects in a clear way, it happens to him and he survives and returns to normal. This is not good grounds for suggesting that he can just not have the Speed Force affect him when the feat cited shows him being affected.

I’m pretty sure Flash has speed stolen Amazo when had the Justice League‘a powers.

Can Thanos teleport between dimensions on his own? If not Flash can just shunt him into the Speed Force.

Couple of things;

Didn't Dr strange do the same thing in MOM?

Extraordinary Member

As far as I know re: The current Flash, Wally is the star of the book and Barry's off doing other things

Can Barry speed steal? I thought that was mostly a Wally thing

Is Thanos no longer banned/ousted from Death's realm? If he isn't, then I could see Wally speeding up the neural activity in Thanos' brain until he short circuits. If he is still ousted from death, then there isn't anything any version of Flash can do to him. The feat in Thanos Quest I think is just fine for resisting anything Flash has to throw at him. Thanos himself remarked that traversing the Nexus isn't something he would've done in his previous incarnation and while going through that realm, he clearly indicates the effects to be both "spiritual and physical". The fact that he his the narrator of that sequence of events as they occur clearly shows me speeding up Thanos' neural activity (for example) won't do anything to him. Of course, Thanos can't touch any version of Flash, unless he wants to wait several weeks before he tires out and drops him with an energy strike. But he could just end it quickly with TP.

EDIT: almost forgot.... Yes, Thanos teleports long distances and traverses dimensions under his own power in fact, so BFR shouldn't work. Mostly, he does it using his tech, but I certainly buy the times he does it under his own power given that he is an Eternal.
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-08-2023 at 10:35 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Couple of things;

They are in the sense that Thanos, to the best of my knowledge, is above anyone Flash has speed stolen.

It's excellent evidence that the effect won't actually inconvenience him at all.

I don't see why Flash gets a pass for doing this to someone more powerful than he's ever done such a thing to, and who also displays the ability to otherwise not be inconvenienced by out and out reality warping.

They are in the sense that Thanos, to the best of my knowledge, is above anyone Flash has speed stolen.
    If you think bringing up PR Retcon Beyonder in a conversation about Thanos' capacity to do things is a reasonable line of argument, I frankly don't know how to respond to that.

It's excellent evidence that the effect won't actually inconvenience him at all.
    How do you figure that? We see Thanos being physically changed altered and changed by reality warping effects as he moves through various dimensions and your contention is that this is somehow evidence that he won't be altered or effected by Speed Stealing.

Let me grab the page:

We can see him being melted and exploded and returning to normal afterwards and he notes "This would kill normal beings," but he's presumably able reassemble himself and undo the damage once he leaves that dimension. He says it "has a minimal effect," and it's still melting his face off, whatever resistances he has are not enough to stop it completely. Like, I don't see how this is excellent evidence of Thanos being able to completely prevent foreign effects impacting his body and normal processes because the feat shows the opposite of that.

I don't see why Flash gets a pass for doing this to someone more powerful than he's ever done such a thing to, and who also displays the ability to otherwise not be inconvenienced by out and out reality warping.
    But he's not immune to reality warping, that's my point. It manifestly has an effect on him.