Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Which Marvel Western character is closest to Jonah Hex in popularity?

Two Gun Kid?
    Rawhide Kid?
    Gunhawk?
    Red Wolf?

Invincible Member

Probably none? DC kept doing new Jonah Hex stories into the early 80's then they switched the format to a Mad Max thing that no one remembers. I think Marvel stopped doing new western stories in the early/mid-70's. Having said that, Marvel has done some interesting revamps since then in the 2000's...gay/camp Rawhide Kid...spaghetti-western Apachi Skies, Blaze of Glory etc...
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-06-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Invincible Member

Having said that, it would be really interesting to see Marvel/Disney bring those all western heroes back for a live action TV show or movie.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

I agree. None. Since Jonah Hex's popularity itself is suspect (see: terrible movie) there really isn't a comparison in marvel.

Was there a western xmen character?

Two Gun Kid, among comics fans, and creators.

During the seventies Avengers old west battle against Kang his popularity led to him forming a buddy team w. Hawkeye and traveling to the present.

Since then he’s had more time travel adventures, and has remained Marvel’s go to western character.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Agreed, Marvel doesn't have a single Western character that is now as popular as Hex.

As for a Western-themed mutant, I was hoping that Shooting Star would have been a mutant who eventually joined the X-men. Her powers could have involved some type of limited energy projection that only works when she is in contact with a specific composite or alloy -- and, of course, her guns, bullets, and other gadgetry would be comprised of that material.

Hmmm...forget the X-Men. Make it the Hellfire Club. Just had a mental image of Shooting Star in a Stetson, chaps and one of those classic Hellfire club costumes. Oh, my stars and garters!!!
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-06-2023 at 06:21 PM.

=JudicatorPrime;6462094]Agreed, Marvel doesn't have a single Western character that is now as popoular as Hex.
    ^^^The OP didn’t ask for as popular though, it asked for closest to; that’s Two Gun Kid.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 05-06-2023 at 06:22 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Agreed, Marvel doesn't have a single Western character that is now as popoular as Hex.
    ^^^The OP didn’t ask for as popular though, it asked for closest to; that’s Two Gun Kid.
    I was more of a Rawhide Kid fan back in the day, but yeah, Two Gun is probably it.

Cowboy Deadpool.

Marvel is better off with a Red Wolf TV show. Let him be a sheriff's deputy who is a part time vigilante.

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    I agree. None. Since Jonah Hex's popularity itself is suspect (see: terrible movie) there really isn't a comparison in marvel.

Jonah even has a modern day legacy character (Jinny Hex from Bendis's Young Justice). None of Marvel's cowboys have that. Two Gun Kid has been used in the present via time travel, so he's the closest thing Marvel has to the Hex family.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Currently, I guess the closest would have to be the Two-Gun Kid in terms of still being used as a character. (Although I am disappointed that he didn't turn out to be the one wearing the Eternity mask as the Masker Raider.)

On the other hand, if you look at the Marvel Masterworks collections the only Western hero to get a volume (two volumes, if I recall correctly) is the Rawhide Kid. That would suggest that Marvel viewed the Rawhide Kid as their most popular.

However, Marvel's oldest Western hero would be Kid Colt, who started in 1948 and ended up with 229 issues to his name (although the later issues were reprints) before the title was ended in 1979. That the character was popular enough, even in reprint form, to last over 200 issues suggests some popularity, even if he seems totally forgotten by Marvel these days.

In terms of mutants, I have often speculated that all the Western heroes' horses were actually mutants--the stuff the writers had the horses do were far beyond the abilities of normal horses (including the infamous "horse shoots gun" story--was that Kid Colt or Rawhide? I can't remember.)

Personally, my favorite character was the Ringo Kid...but that is a digression for another day.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Agreed, Marvel doesn't have a single Western character that is now as popular as Hex.

As for a Western-themed mutant, I was hoping that Shooting Star would have been a mutant who eventually joined the X-men. Her powers could have involved some type of limited energy projection that only works when she is in contact with a specific composite or alloy -- and, of course, her guns, bullets, and other gadgetry would be comprised of that material.

Hmmm...forget the X-Men. Make it the Hellfire Club. Just had a mental image of Shooting Star in a Stetson, chaps and one of those classic Hellfire club costumes. Oh, my stars and garters!!!
    If Shooting Star is up your alley, you might like Outlaw. She’s a female mutant in modern day (i.e. skimpy) cowgirl garb that has super strength. She’s usually a Deadpool or Agent X supporting character. She did live on Utopia but I’m not sure if she’s on Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Two Gun Kid, among comics fans, and creators.

During the seventies Avengers old west battle against Kang his popularity led to him forming a buddy team w. Hawkeye and traveling to the present.

Since then he’s had more time travel adventures, and has remained Marvel’s go to western character.
    Indeed. Here's proof...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Cowboy Deadpool.
    Hopefully, Cable won't be too far behind...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-07-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

When Marvel and DC did the Unlimited Access mini series, the Two-Gun was the character they had meet Hex.