Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Golden Age Sandman (Wesley Dodds) Upcoming Series

First off, from https://aiptcomics.com/2023/05/05/dc...en-age-series/

DC ‘New Golden Age’ series for Sandman, Green Lantern, and Flash coming October 2023
    Golden Age DC Comics heroes Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, and Wesley Dodds score miniseries this October.

DC Comics continues to announce new series, all part of their Dawn of DC initiative, and today three new titles were announced, spinning out of Geoff Johns’ The New Golden Age banner. The three, six-issue miniseries launch in October, including Alan Scott: The Green Lantern by Tim Sheridan and Cian Tormey, Jay Garrick: The Flash by Jeremy Adams and Diego Olortegui and Wesley Dodds: The Sandman by Rob Venditti and Riley Rossmo.
    “It’s long past time that the heroes of the Justice Society had their own titles again,” said Geoff Johns. “At the same time, they had to be special, important, and emotional stories, each one exploring character, revealing secrets, and introducing new heroes and villains to the DC Universe.”
    ---------------------------------
    . . . Wesley Dodds: The Sandman by Rob Venditti (Superman ‘78) with art from Riley Rossmo (Harley Quinn) shows the titular character as a pacifist. He has given up on the hope of a peaceful world, but he hasn’t stopped believing that people can be better to each other, if they’re only given the right tools. Possessing a scientist’s optimism and romanticism, he is convinced that humanity can invent cures for its own ills. Having learned about the battlefield horrors of World War I from his father, he sought to create a sleep gas that would allow for “humane” warfare. During his research, he recorded all of his attempts in his science journal – even those with horribly deadly consequences – swearing to never show them to the world. Now his journal has been stolen, and he must find the culprit and stop them before his deadly mis-inventions fall into the arsenals of the belligerent nations threatening to pull the United States into the next world war.
    Also, Rossmo has posted this on twitter:

And this from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    A couple of pages from Sandman have apparently also been released and I will say I dont hate it and as others have said it might even work.

I am curious as to why the faces were blurred on the one page....who are they that their identity would be a spoiler I wonder???

And prior to this, coming in July . . .

KNIGHT TERRORS #2
    Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON
    Art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CASPAR WIJNGAARD
    Cover by IVAN REIS and DANNY MIKI
    Variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
    Variant cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    1:25 variant cover by JEFF SPOKES
    1:50 variant cover by IVAN REIS
    1:100 variant cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    Darkest Hour variant cover by IVAN REIS ($5.99 US)
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 2 of 4 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 7/25/23
    Oh dang—I gotta do another one of these this month? Batman and I are joined by…Wesley Dodds, the Sandman?! What the heck? I thought I was the only dead person allowed in this story. I guess not! We uncover one of Wesley’s oldest cases, which haunted him until the day he died—and it points us in the direction of the Nightmare Stone. But Insomnia has unleashed his own army to hunt us down…the Sleepless Knights. And this issue is their first appearance, kids! Get scared!
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-july-2023-sol...modern%20spin.

NOTE: This is NOT suppose to be an "Appreciation Thread"!!

This thread was suppose to be dealing with the upcoming Golden Age Sandman series!!!

I really like the slightly modified design to his look with the straps and extra gas canisters.

And since it was reposted, I'll repost my theory that those blurred faces are meant to be real world celebrities.

So great that he's appearing in DC's summer event as well as a new series!

Incredible Member

Honestly I'm surprised that I'm actually liking this artwork from these previews! And look, I really hated Robin's art, I thought it was horrible, but these previews are great

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Honestly I'm surprised that I'm actually liking this artwork from these previews! And look, I really hated Robin's art, I thought it was horrible, but these previews are great
    I mostly agree....I have never liked Rossmo's art but found his work on Robin to not even be tolerable as I have with some of his other work where I could at least suffer through it for the story. I wont necessarily say it looks great, but at least it doesn't look like a complete trainwreck. Sandman Mystery Theatre set a precedent for a different art style to be used for Wesley's stories, so it's got a high bar to match Guy Davis, but at least it appears to be in the same neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I mostly agree....I have never liked Rossmo's art but found his work on Robin to not even be tolerable as I have with some of his other work where I could at least suffer through it for the story. I wont necessarily say it looks great, but at least it doesn't look like a complete trainwreck. Sandman Mystery Theatre set a precedent for a different art style to be used for Wesley's stories, so it's got a high bar to match Guy Davis, but at least it appears to be in the same neighborhood.
    Was his Robin worse than his Future State Legion of Super Heroes? Because his LSH was horrible. At least the cartoonish look in the sample art is under control. The real life setting and time frame as there are references that can be used.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I actually like Rossmo's art but I get why so many can't get into it. I really enjoyed it on the Martian Manhunter limited series but he was not a great fit for the Future State Legion issues or Robin: Tim Drake. Going from the preview art he seems to be a perfect fit for GA Sandman.

While both the artwork for Wesley Dodds: The Sandman and Knight Terrors #2 appear to feature the trench coat and older-style gas mask for Wes (as was the way he appeared in Sandman Mystery Theatre), it looks like he will still be going with his original Golden Age look (the streamlined gas mask, green business suit, and the cape) by the time the Justice Society of America is formed.

The Justice Society of America by Jerry Ordway from The New Golden Age one-shot

from Justice Society of America #2

This feels like it could be a good showcase for him. I like the period piece angle and hoping they do more of these miniseries for the other JSA members.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-08-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Always Rakzo

Tim Sheridan must be someone's nephew to keep getting work.

I really liked Sheridan SHAZAM. Maybe with solo charecters he's better, like Steve Orlando.

Always Rakzo

Sheridan's Shazam was the worst comic of its year so I doubt he's good at anything comic-related.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Sheridan's Shazam was the worst comic of its year so I doubt he's good at anything comic-related.
    I'll give him some fairness since Shazam was saddled with the terrible Future State plotline

Though he did make Red X in Titans Academy far more insufferable than he had to be