Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Got to read a few pages of the first issue tonight and I must say I really dont hate the art. I can't tell you how absolutely shocked I am that I actually liked it. It's at the very least a good start.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

The preview looked great! i like the idea of The Sandman as kind of a heroic Scarecrow.

I loved what was in the preview !

I hope Venditti brings Dian back.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Very cool preview, excited for this book.

Also very good timing since I recently bought the Sandman Mystery Theater compendium.

Incredible Member

I don't know what it is about Rossmo's artwork, but I seem to love it in his period work. This Sandman art looks great. And, he did a Batman/Shadow miniseries a couple (few?) years ago that was also great. But, for whatever reason, when he does stuff set in contemporary times, I just can't get in to it. His recent work on the Tim Drake: Robin series was unpleasant, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    I don't know what it is about Rossmo's artwork, but I seem to love it in his period work. This Sandman art looks great. And, he did a Batman/Shadow miniseries a couple (few?) years ago that was also great. But, for whatever reason, when he does stuff set in contemporary times, I just can't get in to it. His recent work on the Tim Drake: Robin series was unpleasant, to me.
    It works much better here.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I wish this had better art, the story in the preview was decent but the art is a major turn off.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I wish this had better art, the story in the preview was decent but the art is a major turn off.
    But from what I've seen so far, he does seem to capture the time period, which many artists these days don't always do very well. I'll wait until I read the full issue before I decide if his art works for this or becomes too much of a distraction.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I may be a little more inclined to accept a different style of art when it comes to Wesley Dodds and Sandman, Sandman Mystery Theater was (and still is) one of my favorite series and the art by Guy Davis set the expectations for something a little different. As yet, I have found Rossmo's work to be extremely not to my taste...but at the least the preview pages look to fit so much better than anything else i have seen his work on.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

I found Rossmo to be a horrible fit for ROBIN but his work on this title is just superb, and IMO Venditti's Wesley and Dian were pretty spot on.

As others have noted, the art here is great - especially the colors. It would have been typical to have a more muted palate as a way to convey the old-timeyness of it, but I'm glad they didn't shy away from having it be colorful. Bright colors existed back then

I also like that this story feels personal to Dodds and he's not just being a vigilante, hunting some bad guy. His ambition to help people extends beyond what his dreams compel him to do. He's a character with a real motivation outside of crime-fighting, which is great! Also, great to see Dian again!

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I am not super familiar with Sandman but I enjoyed the first issue. I like pulp noir superhero stuff like The Shadow and this has a similar vibe.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Sasha from Causally Comics gives her review of Issue One.

It's interesting that he started the issue using some kind of fear gas rather than his typical sleep gas. Has he been shown to use other kinds of gas in the past? It's even more interesting that we then see a scene of him regretting coming up with other types of horrible gases before he perfected his sleep gas.