Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Default April Sales Figures are out and..

Courtesy of IVC2:

1. Amazing Spider-Man #23
    3. Spider-Man #7
    5. Amazing Spider-Man #24
    6. Venom #18
    14. Miles Morales: Spider-Man #5
    37. Carnage #12
    39. Spider-Gwen: Shadow Clones #2
    49. Venom Lethal Protector II #1

spoilers:
    Stop hate-reading comics, kids.
    end of spoilers
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I would be surprised if the flagship title of the flagship character of the biggest comic book publisher in the world isn't in the top 5. The brand name often matters more than the quality. Spider-Man will always sell, the fact that Miles is outselling everything DC not named Batman shows that. Though like I said before, the Clone Saga went on for 2 years because it sold and it doesn't make it any less of a trainwreck than it was. This is no different.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-08-2023 at 02:58 PM.

I don't get it, but going by these sales figures alone it looks like the majority of the fanbase loves this direction. At least, that's the impression I would get if I was Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Courtesy of IVC2:

1. Amazing Spider-Man #23
    3. Spider-Man #7
    5. Amazing Spider-Man #24
    6. Venom #18
    14. Miles Morales: Spider-Man #5
    37. Carnage #12
    39. Spider-Gwen: Shadow Clones #2
    49. Venom Lethal Protector II #1

spoilers:
    Stop hate-reading comics, kids.
    end of spoilers
    I really don’t understand the comics industry.

Batman had a noticeable drop after the wedding fake-out. Enough for Batman to lose it's number 1 spot and for DC to take notice and change the direction. I find it hard to believe that if the fanbase was united in this there wouldn't be more of an obvious drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    I really don’t understand the comics industry.
    Well this is precisely what makes Marvel think they can do whatever they want with the Spider-Man characters and get away with it. They know people will show up for it. Casual fans just want to read Spider-Man, they don't care about character assassinations or whatever our little bubble likes to rage on about all the time.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well this is precisely what makes Marvel think they can do whatever they want with the Spider-Man characters and get away with it. They know people will show up for it. Casual fans just want to read Spider-Man, they don't care about character assassinations or whatever our little bubble likes to rage on about all the time.
    Again this isn't sales data this is numbers ordered by the shops and ASM being propped up by variant and ratio variant

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Again this isn't sales data this is numbers ordered by the shops and ASM being propped up by variant and ratio variant
    You would assume they wouldn't keep ordering high numbers 21 issues in if fans were dropping the book though.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    You would assume they wouldn't keep ordering high numbers 21 issues in if fans were dropping the book though.
    The Disney 100th Variants are really hot with collectors and speculators right now and ASM is one of the titles those have been foisted on.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    The Disney 100th Variants are really hot with collectors and speculators right now and ASM is one of the titles those have been foisted on.
    Speculators are a cancer on this industry imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    I don't get it, but going by these sales figures alone it looks like the majority of the fanbase loves this direction. At least, that's the impression I would get if I was Marvel.
    Like I've been saying. The people that have been complaining on the internet aren't the majority and aren't treated as such.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Like I've been saying. The people that have been complaining on the internet aren't the majority and aren't treated as such.
    Still not accurate number even if it was sales it's 135 ish shop's. 3 %

Ultimate Member

This pretty much.

It's been like this for a long, long time.

If people didn't like the direction of the book, they would drop it. To emphasize this point (and as someone as pointed out), Batman isn't number 1 anymore and certain events within that title led to people dropping it. We've seen the Avengers book under Jason Aaron fall-off and even some X-titles have declined in sales over time due to fans not liking certain directions.

Spider-man will always sell but it hasn't always been the number 1 title in the US. Heck, until around Superior Spider-man (or thereabouts) in 2013, his books weren't always in the top 10.

The caveat with all this being that we don't have actual sales figures because those aren't made public.

If that’s true then they are a massively silent majority. People who are unhappy are always louder, but this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    If that’s true then they are a massively silent majority. People who are unhappy are always louder, but this is ridiculous.
    Yellowstone has ratings like 12-16 million viewers on an average basis. Yet it rarely if ever trends on twitter, and doesn't get a bunch of Youtube videos made about it by big creators either telling people to go watch it or how good or not good it is.

That tells you everything you need to know.

Silent majorities are real and they don't go out of their way to find the people that don't like what they're reading/enjoying.