Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Funny thing for me with Jean and maybe this mini will address it. The stuff that moved me most that was most closely associated with Jean isn't Jean. Madelyne Pryor is now my favorite female X-character, loved her since the Outback through Inferno. The Dark Phoenix Saga is one of comic's greatest storylines. For me I have never loved and empathized for Jean like I did for Maddy, nor can I recall a storyline involving Jean as epic as the Dark Phoenix one. Characters that looked a lot like Jean have been in moments I will treasure but turns out that none of those were actually her.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Funny thing for me with Jean and maybe this mini will address it. The stuff that moved me most that was most closely associated with Jean isn't Jean. Madelyne Pryor is now my favorite female X-character, loved her since the Outback through Inferno. The Dark Phoenix Saga is one of comic's greatest storylines. For me I have never loved and empathized for Jean like I did for Maddy, nor can I recall a storyline involving Jean as epic as the Dark Phoenix one. Characters that looked a lot like Jean have been in moments I will treasure but turns out that none of those were actually her.
    The dark phoenix saga was about jean
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Tbf, one could literally say the same thing about Maddie... honestly when you look at her history as a whole who even is the real Madelyne Pryor?

The original died at the end of Inferno, but her entire existence was a fabrication, stolen parts of another. Her memories belonged to Jean, and her life-force the Phoenix Force. Her return in the 90s had her as a living expression of Nate Grey's powers, then a alternate reality Jean, then free.

When she returned in UXM, we were repeatedly told that wasn't Madelyne Pryor but the Red Queen technically speaking an alternate reality Jean.

Then Sinister re-created several clones of Maddie in Gillen run to capture the PF, finally we have her return in XX where she's resurrected in a totally new body.

Which leads us to the current version, Madelyne's history is almost an exact reflection of her life a series of pieces smashing together.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    The dark phoenix saga was about jean
    Is it though, I know it was originally but now Jean was in a cocoon and never was actually Phoenix. It keeps her hands clean but robs her character of her greatest epic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Tbf, one could literally say the same thing about Maddie... honestly when you look at her history as a whole who even is the real Madelyne Pryor?

The original died at the end of Inferno, but her entire existence was a fabrication, stolen parts of another. Her memories belonged to Jean, and her life-force the Phoenix Force. Her return in the 90s had her as a living expression of Nate Grey's powers, then a alternate reality Jean, then free.

When she returned in UXM, we were repeatedly told that wasn't Madelyne Pryor but the Red Queen technically speaking an alternate reality Jean.

Then Sinister re-created several clones of Maddie in Gillen run to capture the PF, finally we have her return in XX where she's resurrected in a totally new body.

Which leads us to the current version, Madelyne's history is almost an exact reflection of her life a series of pieces smashing together.
    True for me the real Maddy died in Inferno and hasn't been back until resurrected in Hellions. All the other appearances aren't Outback/Inferno Maddy. I collected and enjoyed Maddy in Muant X and X-man but for me neither were the real Maddy.

Is it though, I know it was originally but now Jean was in a cocoon and never was actually Phoenix. It keeps her hands clean but robs her character of her greatest epic.
    yes, it is her storyline. 1. It wasn't a cocoon, it was a Phoenix egg wherein Jean was reborn.

True for me the real Maddy died in Inferno and hasn't been back until resurrected in Hellions. All the other appearances aren't Outback/Inferno Maddy. I collected and enjoyed Maddy in Muant X and X-man but for me neither were the real Maddy.
    you seem to have some serious case of head-canon. lol

This has been addressed and recontextualizd so much that, that we know its not that simple. Jean allowed herself to be cloned and while her original body was healing, a portion of her soul inhabited went with the new cloned body so it essentially was her. She has since had her soul returned to her along with her memories and experience she had as Phoenix. Its a weight she carries with her that hasnt been ignored and has factored heavily into alot of Jeans decisions and how she moves

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    you seem to have some serious case of head-canon. lol
    thats not head-canon; its what happened. The original Maddy did die in Inferno and merged with Jean. What we got in the 90s was some psychic ghost created by Nate Grey and she is whom returned in Sisterhood looking for a body and then most recently in Hellions. Who was resurrected is an amalgalmation of both Maddies
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-26-2023 at 05:49 AM.

BANNED

Oh, the irony going on here...
    Last edited by Micabe; 05-26-2023 at 06:21 AM.

This has potential to be incredible. I don’t I often pray for retcons but if they could finally sort out a lot of jean’s past, I’m all for it.

I’m also not surprised that (I presume) the Phoenix will be returning to xmen now that Disney has their movie toys back.

Yes yes I know, the comics were never owned by disney and “could have done this regardless of the movies.” But let’s be honest, the other (non xmen) comics have tried aligning with the movies for a while and I figured this would be happening. It’s basically built int double dip marketing and strategy. Even if the comic portion has no knowledge of any movie plans, it makes sense to go ahead and start shifting into a direction they predict will be bankable.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This has potential to be incredible. I don’t I often pray for retcons but if they could finally sort out a lot of jean’s past, I’m all for it.

I’m also not surprised that (I presume) the Phoenix will be returning to xmen now that Disney has their movie toys back.

Yes yes I know, the comics were never owned by disney and “could have done this regardless of the movies.” But let’s be honest, the other (non xmen) comics have tried aligning with the movies for a while and I figured this would be happening. It’s basically built int double dip marketing and strategy. Even if the comic portion has no knowledge of any movie plans, it makes sense to go ahead and start shifting into a direction they predict will be bankable.
    If and when the movies deal with Phoenix, it wont be for some years so I really dont think what is happening now has anything to do with synergy. The X-men side of the MCU hasnt even been built out

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Oh, the irony going on here...
    Micabe, well aware of the irony but it makes sense in it's way. If you don't give Jean "credit" for the Dark Phoenix saga or for the Goblin Queen. Then you can't give Maddy "credit for Mutant X, X-Man, Red Queen or Teenage horned Maddy.

One of the things that stands out to me about Jean is that even those fans that are seemingly or purportedly not interested in her, along with her most fervent detractors, exhibit passionate views and opinions about her, which is the hallmark of a true icon. She is mystifying, inspiring, divisive, elusive, and altogether transcendent.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    One of the things that stands out to me about Jean is that even those fans that are seemingly or purportedly not interested in her, along with her most fervent detractors, exhibit passionate views and opinions about her, which is the hallmark of a true icon. She is mystifying, inspiring, divisive, elusive, and altogether transcendent.
    Yes, Jean is all of those things: Jean is also Unique, Divine, a Goddess with human emotions and understanding. Jean Grey is Phoenix.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

not sure why, but when a certain group of fans are starting to articulate their love for Jean, I start questioning why I like her myself. lol ;-)