Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Storm was such a jerk here. Charles goes to her in his lowest and instead of being sympathetic and helpful she was vengenful and resented. And when she finally releases her "help" it is just to throw another low hit and tells him never to call her again. Who wouldn´t want a friend like Storm? I would not touch her with a stick. How divine she is becoming.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Please don't try to lecture or presume to "educate" me on the usage of the word. You could barely interpret the story apparently so I highly doubt you can discern my knowledge or frame on speaking of any word. Speak for and emote for, yourself, not I.
    Interpret the story?

If a "friend" of mine came to me in their grief threatening and assaulting me over last words shared with me in confidence, they would get a hell of alot worse than "we are no longer friends" lol. Had Charles tried this sh*t with Emma, Eric or even Jean he'd be the one bleeding and nobody would have a problem with it...

I think Ewing said this encounter between them happened in between some of the panels of IXM, so I think Ororo was already tired of Charles. Strike #1 for me was him demanding to speak with her while she was on her own personal time. Cause I would have told his ass he had to wait until I had time.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Okay, let's think of an example in the real world (even though the analogy is *not* perfect) that has to do with invasion of privacy in a spectrum.

a) Someone watches another person getting naked.
    b) Someone not only watches another person getting naked, they film it.
    c) Someone forcibly takes the clothes off the body of another person to see them naked.

Would you agree that 'c' elevates the violation of privacy into something else?

If so, could we say that forcefully reading someone's mind elevates the violation of privacy into something else too? If so, what would you call it if not assault?

I'm genuinely interested.
    There are many forms of abuse, only a few of them are assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    The ignorance of the gravity of what Xavier did to storm I feel plays onto the perception people have about telepathy not being that much of an actual power because its effects are more ephemeral. They regard physical attacks as more serious than mental ones. When mental attacks can be just as damaging if not even more so as it directly affects ts the very being of the person. What Charles did was a violation of the highest order. After her very awful earlier encounter with emma storm has had it out for telepaths touching her mind ever since. And even before emma she had a huge problem with it, case in point when she and jean were walking in town and jean picked up on storm's claustrophobia when they were going into the subway. My thing is that the reason storm has a very huge problem with psychic meddling even more so than your average person is because of the fact that she was almost rapped when she was a child. That violation really steered her principals to value her bodily autonomy and her power of self above anything. Contrast this with the fa t that as a pick pocket in Cairo she was under the influence of the shadow king. And you begin to understand her relationship to telepathy and invasion of her mind.

Again the fact that he stepped over this very BIG boundary without dying only losing his relationship with ororo, tells you how much storm tried to give him grace and space whilst respecting herself and her boundaries.
    You think reading someone's diary is something I consider insignificant?

People need to know how to distinguish things, assault is a serious word with serious meaning. Reading someone's thoughts using telepathy doesn't describe it.

It's an extreme invasion of privacy (that has been used in many contexts you wouldn't oppose to, specially if you are a fan of any telepathic character) and should be recognized as such, not as something else.

One thing I'm curious about is, why is Storm keeping the words a secret? Idr if Mags wanted them secret, but he asked her to watch Cavier and make sure he doesn't sacrifice everything for his dreams. To make sure he doesn't go too far in his goal. I feel like letting Xavier know his friend's concerns would help him recontextualize things. It'd hurt, knowing what Magneto thought of him. But It'd be a kinder wake-up call than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Storm was bleeding through her nose when Xavier was done. Some physical harm was done. In real life the most direct analogy would be someone losing control and hiting another one full in the face, with enough force to draw blood. In my country that would be assault plus minor injury. I guess you could say she only bled because she resisted the probe, but that only makes it worse. It was a direct paralel to Xavier assaulting Amelia Vogh whe she left him. This is Xavier at his worst. Only way left is up!
    She wasn't bleeding because she was harmed by him, she was bleeding from the strain of the exercise she took in defense from his invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    If a "friend" of mine came to me in their grief threatening and assaulting me over last words shared with me in confidence, they would get a hell of alot worse than "we are no longer friends" lol. Had Charles tried this sh*t with Emma, Eric or even Jean he'd be the one bleeding and nobody would have a problem with it...
    Seriously. And people forget she offered to talk about Max with him in IMX but he told her he didn't have time for that. When he was ready, SHE dropped everything to speak with him. Xavier may have been at a low point but she was willing to listen and she remained calm throughout the bulk of their discussion. HE was the one who came in hot and took things to the extreme.

I'm sympathetic to Xavier but it's hilarious to see what some people expect Storm to take. Weren't these the same people cheering when Emma gave it to Storm just last week? This man just attempted to assault Storm's mind and I guess she has no right to be angry at that for the time being since X is going through some stuff? Whatever. I bet when Storm has to face the fallout from MR that these posters won't have the same kind of energy in judging her POV.
    Last edited by Saturius; 05-11-2023 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    One thing I'm curious about is, why is Storm keeping the words a secret? Idr if Mags wanted them secret, but he asked her to watch Cavier and make sure he doesn't sacrifice everything for his dreams. To make sure he doesn't go too far in his goal. I feel like letting Xavier know his friend's concerns would help him recontextualize things. It'd hurt, knowing what Magneto thought of him. But It'd be a kinder wake-up call than this.
    I think you kinda answered your own question. I find in these types of things in life, there isn't necessarily a right or wrong way to do it. Sometimes knowing certain info might help or hurt. You just never know. The classic "What if" or "I should have." Hindsight is always 20/20. In the end it appears she thought it was best he knew the truth, but as you said, in the beginning she really wanted to spare his feelings as he's already broken as it is. I don't know what would have been the optimal choice for her to have gone with.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Storm was mentally assaulted. (Given the social sensitivities of the day, I'm not surprised by some of the more extreme interpretations of that scene. Personally I don't think it was that serious as she herself realised something was seriously wrong with him a few moments later, causing him to lash out and she became more empathetic...enh!) Yes, Xavier projected and she said...try your best...so She knew what was coming and how to defend herself against it, but it was still an attack on her psyche. The main issue here is not that she was assaulted but that Xavier had the gall to treat with her, Her, in that manner, trying to take what was not freely given, breaking that trust and ultimately their bond.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Seriously. And people forget she offered to talk about Max with him in IMX but he told her he didn't have time for that. When he was ready, SHE dropped everything to speak with him. Xavier may have been at a low point but she was willing to listen and she remained calm throughout the bulk of their discussion. HE was the one who came in hot and took things to the extreme.

I'm sympathetic to Xavier but it's hilarious to see what some people expect Storm to take. Weren't these the same people cheering when Emma gave it to Storm just last week? This man just attempted to assault Storm's mind and I guess she has no right to be angry at that for the time being since X is going through some stuff? Whatever. I bet when Storm has to face the fallout from MR that these posters won't have the same kind of energy in judging her POV.
    Absolutely. I know that if it was them or their favorite in Storm's position it would be a different story lol hypocrites everywhere and some would rather split hairs over the definition of assault and victimize the abuser than acknowledge that Charles violated Storm and deserves worse than what he got.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You think reading someone's diary is something I consider insignificant?

People need to know how to distinguish things, assault is a serious word with serious meaning. Reading someone's thoughts using telepathy doesn't describe it.

It's an extreme invasion of privacy (that has been used in many contexts you wouldn't oppose to, specially if you are a fan of any telepathic character) and should be recognized as such, not as something else.

Anyways he tried to pry info from her head by force, she defended herself she bled as a result. That is assault end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    She wasn't bleeding because she was harmed by him, she was bleeding from the strain of the exercise she took in defense from his invasion.
    So if someone is attacking you and you defend yourself and you end up bleeding it is your fault for defending yourself. Do you not grasp how dense your statement is? You are literally victim blaming. It's her fault for putting in effort to defend herself against a psychic attack from Xavier. Like you really cant make this **** up.

Very telling indeed.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    One more powerful thought about the issue came to me after reading the latest posts that i didn't even think about on first two reads. But, why Ororo? Even in the story xavier said he should have been reading people thoughts, using his powers, he should have done it to moira, to Sinister but he didn't. So one does have to ask why Now, Why specifically Ororo? This issue in a lot of ways was the fall of X. A part of me really hopes Charles makes his way to Red because this issue really lets me see there is a really good story for him there perhaps one that could even top max. A place where he too can achieve a new dream and maybe be better. This is one of those issues that i wish ewing got to directly follow up on where we get to see Xavier's perspective in this exact same conversation. Like X-men Red 11.5.
    Yes! I view this issue as a prologue of Fall of X. While this event is about the potential fall of Krakoa it's also very much about the fall of Xavier, and this is the first major scene which makes it all the more important that it happened between he and Storm. It's all been simmering under the surface what with Xavier allowing Beast to do whatever he wants, Magneto leaving, etc. But this is where it all takes centerstage with his violation of one of the most important of his students/children. As the writers call it this is the "cascade" and the momentum will be increasing.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    Charles is not some insignificant weakling, he's the second most powerful telepath on the planet, second only to omega Jean. Plus he has developed tk abilities as well, he's not some pushover. An Xavier going all out not holding anything back is not something to be taken lightly. It's unfortunate that in this era he's being written as a weak, jobbing a-hole who is Krakoa's resident punching bag. I swear Xavier has got to be wondering why he even bothered with forming the X-men, with creating Krakoa, with saving mutantkind in general. It has not been worth it at all.