Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

getting really tired of marvel's crapping on xavier for the past few decades, both in terms of characterization (each writer trying to one-up the "yOu'Re a jErK!" factor) and just in general

as other posts already said, it's just tiring. he's also freaking xavier with a cerebro on his head, nobody should even come close to resisting him outside of another psychic. just a complete asspull to prop up storm

then she acknowledges that he is in grief and mourning his bff and promptly bans him from arakko. not a compassionately written storm either. everybody just out of character

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

He was doing a surface scan, he really wasn't attacking her "with all his might" so the psychic defense protocols were more than enough to repel him.

As a Storm fan for decades...I don't think Xavier proclaiming Storm was not a Goddess back then is controversial, at all. Ewing's take here: that he would have said/done anything thing to get her to come save his OG X-Men is definitely more understandable than the previous "Perhaps he psychically compelled her to come with him" version. While it could be said in hindsight that he was very dismissive of her origins, it can also be said that he didn't care (and perhaps still doesn't) about that aspect at all, being more interested in her mutant abilities and what she could do.

While she is not going around calling herself a Goddess she knows fully well she has that divine potential within her, that it was always there, just never nurtured.

What some may read as "self-righteous" I read as "morally self-aware" in the sense that Storm will stand her ground but is not in the habit of beating others over their heads into submission with her morals and views the way Xavier and Maggie seemed to do in the past.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yellow cyclone View Post
    getting really tired of marvel's crapping on xavier for the past few decades, both in terms of characterization (each writer trying to one-up the "yOu'Re a jErK!" factor) and just in general

as other posts already said, it's just tiring. he's also freaking xavier with a cerebro on his head, nobody should even come close to resisting him outside of another psychic. just a complete asspull to prop up storm

then she acknowledges that he is in grief and mourning his bff and promptly bans him from arakko. not a compassionately written storm either. everybody just out of character
    Someone has never read Storm's history vs psychics. Entering her head is a minefield, not only is her will strong enough to resist any of them but she could literally fry their brains if she chose to by simply amplifying the electrical output in her brain.

If he had full-on attacked her it would be a battle of wills for sure. She was one of the very few to keep the Shadow King from possessing her, the same SK who went mind-to-mind with Xavier and literally broke him on two separate occasions. But this interaction was not like that, so...
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Really great issue. I’m ready for Storm and Charles to lock arms and defend Krakoa together. I understand the narrative calls for this conflict and that we’re in a downward spiral for the mutants but I am excited for the eventual rise that comes after the fall. It makes me a bit sad seeing Charles written this way, Storm is completely justified in her distrust of him but still I want to see the mutants unite again. Good day for the X books all around.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Xavier+Cerebro ain't no joke. I see a nose bleed and Storm being brought to her knees in agony before KO'ing Xavier and anyone else in the area with lightning. If we're talking a full on assault which this wasn't and if it was it would prove Ororo's point.

Astonishing Member

There’s also the fact that, even aside from the existential crisis he’s currently having aside, Xavier’s psyche has become far too fragmented to bring his full force to bear even if he wanted to.

And Xavier is a character who has aged very poorly. An armchair anthropologist WASP manipulating and recruiting an army for nefarious purposes?

At least Doom Patrol doesn’t mince about what Chief is

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I mean the whole point of the Krakoa story is that Xavier and magneto had been working together, in secret and being shady together, for years, to build Krakoa. But we supposed to be like Xavier is so shady, but not magneto?
    I don’t think it’s that simple. Red up through Judgement Day showed a Magneto that was so thoroughly humbled that he didn’t have a reason to hide behind platitudes. That doesn’t mean that he wasn’t shady for all those years beforehand, but he had chosen to live a different kind of life in his final days.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow cyclone View Post

Yeah… nah, you don’t have to be compassionate to someone who tries to violate you. She gave him someone to listen to and then created a boundary. Her response to Charles acting a mess was quite reasonable IMO.

One complaint I do have is that I wish this issue had come out before last week’s Immortal. In that issue I did find Ororo overly cold and judgmental, but if this altercation had happened before I think it would make a lot of sense as to why she was so over it.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-10-2023 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    He was doing a surface scan, he really wasn't attacking her "with all his might" so the psychic defense protocols were more than enough to repel him.

As a Storm fan for decades...I don't think Xavier proclaiming Storm was not a Goddess back then is controversial, at all. Ewing's take here: that he would have said/done anything thing to get her to come save his OG X-Men is definitely more understandable than the previous "Perhaps he psychically compelled her to come with him" version. While it could be said in hindsight that he was very dismissive of her origins, it can also be said that he didn't care (and perhaps still doesn't) about that aspect at all, being more interested in her mutant abilities and what she could do.

While she is not going around calling herself a Goddess she knows fully well she has that divine potential within her, that it was always there, just never nurtured.

What some may read as "self-righteous" I read as "morally self-aware" in the sense that Storm will stand her ground but is not in the habit of beating others over their heads into submission with her morals and views the way Xavier and Maggie seemed to do in the past.
    You know this made me think one this magneto has always done was respect storm position with her people when she was a goddess. Even wondering why she would leave that in that I think unlimited issue, heck even apoc has but Xavier has never respected that aspect of her life or choices. He has used them to his benefit though. Good insight.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Lot of fanservice today

A lot was served.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vbeacon View Post
    Do we really think Storm (or Magneto or anyone else with so-called natural psychic defenses/ ample psychic defense training) can stand up to Xavier if he was really trying or do we just need fake reasons for why Xavier isnt spying in everyone's heads all the time? Red triangle psychic defence is an old, old ploy and honestly shouldn't hold up to any psy close to Xavier's caliber. Really it's just "continue to s*** on Xavier" season until we come up with a semi-plausible reason to dissolve the QC
    Yes, it is absolutely believable for Storm to resist Pro. X.

Storm has a good Track record of Resisting Marvel's Top Telepaths from the Most Powerful to the Weakest. She has resisted: Pro. X, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Shadow King, Bogan, Psylocke, Rachel, Malice, Dracula, Temptress, War-Skrull, Dani's Fear Illusion, Jamil's Illusions i mean I can keep going. And thanks to Emma Frost switching bodies with Storm. She has a Better understanding on how Telepathy actually works ON TOP of Charles Xavier teaching his students how to shield from Telepathic Probes. And with that experience over the years Storm developed Static Electricity around her Brain to protect herself from Telepaths from probing her mind. So, this is definitely believable.

Quote Originally Posted by vbeacon View Post
    Also, I wanted to ask Storm fans this question without inciting ire. Is it really so controversial for Xavier or whomever to say to Storm that she isn't really a goddess? Because she is literally not a goddess, no matter her potential magical potential or enormous role as steward of Arakko or her numerous community leader roles. I really don't think we can have our "goddess Storm AND Storm doesn't rule as proxy queen of Arakko" cake and eat it too. Can we just admit, even a little, that Xavier and Storm and Magneto are addicted to being self-righteous in their own ways?
    Well here's the problem with that statement....she is. Marvel so graciously solidified that in Black Panther (2016) Issue #172 Storm takes the Belief of the People of Wakanda and uses it to become a Wakandan Goddess by the Name of the "Hadari Yao". She's enter her Godhead 3 times in the Black Panther Stories. And With Al Ewing calling her The Hadari Yao in the last Issues of SWORD pretty much solidified it. You may not agree with it, but Marvel think so.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

This almost reminded me when Storm said she would die for Chuck in 305. But she warned him,don't ever ask her to steal again. Chuck messed up .... Big time
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Yes, it is absolutely believable for Storm to resist Pro. X.

Storm has a good Track record of Resisting Marvel's Top Telepaths from the Most Powerful to the Weakest. She has resisted: Pro. X, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Shadow King, Bogan, Psylocke, Rachel, Malice, Dracula, Temptress, War-Skrull, Dani's Fear Illusion, Jamil's Illusions i mean I can keep going. And thanks to Emma Frost switching bodies with Storm. She has a Better understanding on how Telepathy actually works ON TOP of Charles Xavier teaching his students how to shield from Telepathic Probes. And with that experience over the years Storm developed Static Electricity around her Brain to protect herself from Telepaths from probing her mind. So, this is definitely believable.

Well here's the problem with that statement....she is. Marvel so graciously solidified that in Black Panther (2016) Issue #172 Storm takes the Belief of the People of Wakanda and uses it to become a Wakandan Goddess by the Name of the "Hadari Yao". She's enter her Godhead 3 times in the Black Panther Stories. And With Al Ewing calling her The Hadari Yao in the last Issues of SWORD pretty much solidified it. You may not agree with it, but Marvel think so.
    You know what, solid arguments on both fronts. I think your points are logical.

The specific ways that this issue sets up both Storm's telepathic defenses and her resentment to Xavier's "you're not a goddess" statements are the actual things I find troublesome really. Storm having trained, by various means, to be able to resist telepathic using a multiple set of skills works out, just as you described.

Setting up Xavier to be so h***y for info about Magneto when he's in a manic state that he telegraphs his telepathy to one of his most skilled former students and then falls on the floor when he tries to violate her mind...is so stupid, narratively. This is simply not the caliber, skills, or approach of one of the world's best telepathy by any means. The moment speaks less to how good Ororo is and more about how badly Xavier has become in the story.

Regarding godhood, it checks out that she's developed herself in her own right and found her own sense of divinity (i would say that goddess Storm makes more sense as shade of her character in Black Panther and the goals for her character development in those book lines vs what they are trying to achieve with Storm in Red but i know i have to just accept that Storm...must occupy both somehow). But this realized divine Storm was not so when Storm was first written and to somehow feel like Xavier was a monster for trying to deny her divinity back then feels like Storm has been harboring resentment for decades and I...just dont think that would be true for her character.

And I still don't think Xavier was wrong for telling her she wasn't a goddess (back then...when she wasn't a goddess...just yet) but the writers really, sincerely want us to believe that everything Xavier has done, he has done because he is a misguided, benevolent tyrant with full agency and nefarious manipulation of all mutant affairs since he encountered the true Moira. I find myself defending Xavier time after time....and I don't even actually stan the character
    Last edited by vbeacon; 05-10-2023 at 01:59 PM.

1.jpg2.jpg
    An interesting continuity with Ewing.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.