Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

This was such a great issue! So much to unpack. Ewing is just killing it! So...KOBAK NEVERHELD! The looks on Nova's and Sunspot's at the package-shock lol...completely delicious! That is what it means to be of Arakko . The chemistry between the gents was great and engaging. I really like the bromance between Sunspot and Nova, and Kobak is a great addition to this part of the story to continue to communicate the flavor of the Arakkii way of life. I am hoping we continue to see him appear in the book (assuming he isn't incinerated by Fiery Calderak). And does this make them both omegas, then?

Craig and Ororo had some great chemistry. I found him immediately relatable and want to delve into his experience more. Not only as a potential love interest for Storm but to tell the story from the perspective of a surrogate father who happens to be a human. And for all of her confidence I was enjoying her criticism of her clumsy attempt to flirt, but it was working. I am hoping this continues to be expanded on and the book gives the relationship room to grow.

Now on the meat of the issue - Storm and Xavier. This was such a rollercoaster for me. For me they have had such a strong relationship throughout Storm's history with the X-Men that it is a bit jarring seeing them come to such a low point, but I get it. I think this interaction was good and critical to highlight where their relationship is (its been a while), and after so much has come to light about Krakoa's history and Xavier's role in it, the events of SoS, how Magneto saw Xavier, and how he sees himself, it made sense for old feelings of resentment to resurface for Storm. She was an amalgam of emotions, at certain points being cold and harsh, and some points being compassionate, but in the end focused on the objective constant for herself - she wasn't going to repeat her own history again. This time she is staying the course for the people who need her (Arakko) vs coming to Xavier's aid at his demand. It really shows her coming into her own again like in XXM vol 1 but this time completely on her own. And I love Ewing's knowledge of X-lore. The x-stories feel more authentic for me when continuity is respected, and Ewing does that masterfully. Storm has long shown a track record for possessing a strong will and mental defense battle-tested against the best telepaths on earth. Ewing's presentment of their mental conflict was my favorite page, where he skillfully connected such pivotal Storm moments that translated into her strength to not only resist the probe but completely repel him out of her mind. LOVED that moment. This is where I think Charles, who seemed triggered, crossed the line. I hope that the relationship is fixed though. While Xavier is the founder of the X-Men his relationships with Scott, Jean, Storm, Magneto, Wolverine, and some other key X-Men feel like the foundation of the X-Verse. And I'd like to see Krakoa continue and succeed. + Ironfire has arrived! 10/10
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 05-10-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Great issue. Probably 8/10. I never give 10/10 because you need to leave room for something better, and a point is lost because I HATE IT WHEN THEY CALL ERIK “MAX”! I was hoping with Bunn gone they’d sweep it under the rug but no.. it’s still being used. Still, it’s petty, but it’s my opinion, and my right to deduct the point lol

But man… the Berto/Rich stuff was gold. Especially their faces when Kobak stood up.. haha.. As for Xavier… Yes, he’s a prick, but Storm has been an X-men for so long, it’s a bit late to blame Xavier for things. She’s been a mainstay for longer than anyone, maybe (actual X-men.. Scott was X-Factor for 70 issues). Heck, Forge left her because he didn’t think she would ever leave the X-men. (That would be a great “What if” story).

Can someone explain the Erik/Max thing ?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Max Eisenhardt is Erik Lensher's birth name. Both are magneto just different time periods. He adopted Erik at a later date.
    Last edited by OG Storm; 05-11-2023 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Issue #6 is the main one, but the therapist appears in #11, too.

Am I the only one who feels like Ewing is writing Nova more like he was early in his original solo, instead of who he became from the end of that run until the Cancerverse? I like the writing and I understand why Rich is the way he is, right now, but I miss when he was more confident. He's kind of lost his edge.
    Yes definitely. I think galaxies burning and everyone dieing around him has really hit him hard. I'm hoping he moves pass this at some point and the cocky, confident Rich comes out.

I did enjoy the banter between Rich and Sunspot and Rich was so cute telling Berto to get behind him so that he could protect him.

Craig even mentioned Night Thrasher which made me smile (and sad because we've not seen him for ages).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Great issue. Probably 8/10. I never give 10/10 because you need to leave room for something better, and a point is lost because I HATE IT WHEN THEY CALL ERIK “MAX”! I was hoping with Bunn gone they’d sweep it under the rug but no.. it’s still being used. Still, it’s petty, but it’s my opinion, and my right to deduct the point lol
    I felt the same way. Erik is the Magneto who is Xavier and Storms friend, who taught at the school and 'Berto calls 'Headmaster.' 'Max Eisenhart' was the name I first heard as the name of the jerk who showed up to the school disguised as Xorn to subvert Xavier's students away under his nose and killed Jean with a 'planetary-level stroke' because the writer of the moment didn't like Magneto's redemption and wanted him to just be a 'mad terrorist twat.' As far as I'm concerned, 'Max' has been retconned out of existence.

But man… the Berto/Rich stuff was gold. Especially their faces when Kobak stood up.. haha.. As for Xavier… Yes, he’s a prick, but Storm has been an X-men for so long, it’s a bit late to blame Xavier for things. She’s been a mainstay for longer than anyone, maybe (actual X-men.. Scott was X-Factor for 70 issues). Heck, Forge left her because he didn’t think she would ever leave the X-men. (That would be a great “What if” story).
    It went to a point, and then stopped. Yes, Storm, you got recruited away from using your powers to help your people, and yes, Charles, you claim she went on to save the entire world and all it's peoples, but that's not why you specifically recruited her *then*.

You recruited her *then* because you sent your previous team to their deaths *on Krakoa* and needed some fresh meat to march into the blender and try to get them out.

And the existence of Krakoa *today* suggests that wasn't the best approach to the Krakoa problem, was it?

The stuff she's got to be angry about shouldn't just be about 'you said I couldn't play goddess,' it's because you only recruited her to fix your damn arrogant mistakes, which you insist on continuing to make, over and over again, refusing with a toddler's stubbornness to ever learn from.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-11-2023 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Easy Peasy. Magneto original name was "Magnus", but that later turned to be an alias, his real name being Erik Lensherr. (It works as a middle name, too, Erik Magnus Lensherr). But! In the nineties, early 2000, Sabra and Gabrielle Haller discovered (in a storyline that kinda went nowhere) that Erik Lensherr was a false identity created after WWII to hide who he really was. His real name, his birth name, was revealed as Max Eisendhart during the mini "Magneto, Testament" (I think that was the name). It dealt with Magneto as a jewish child in nazi Germany. The implication is that Max was who he really was, and he used the Magento, Magnus and Erik identities as tools. He only went back to Max once he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Easy Peasy. Magneto original name was "Magnus", but that later turned to be an alias, his real name being Erik Lensherr. (It works as a middle name, too, Erik Magnus Lensherr). But! In the nineties, early 2000, Sabra and Gabrielle Haller discovered (in a storyline that kinda went nowhere) that Erik Lensherr was a false identity created after WWII to hide who he really was. His real name, his birth name, was revealed as Max Eisendhart during the mini "Magneto, Testament" (I think that was the name). It dealt with Magneto as a jewish child in nazi Germany. The implication is that Max was who he really was, and he used the Magento, Magnus and Erik identities as tools. He only went back to Max once he retired.
    Ah thank you. I remembered one was a fake name but I didn't remember which one.
    It's sweet he went back to Max on Arakko.

Astonishing Member

The implication I think is that, no, Charles was never really Magneto’s friend. And may be ever so slightly passively anti-Semitic to have not pegged that.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    The implication I think is that, no, Charles was never really Magneto’s friend. And may be ever so slightly passively anti-Semitic to have not pegged that.
    Ooor Xavier respected Magneto's choice name at the time and didn't make a big deal out of it, but he got used to it and has problems switching back ?

(but yeah, Xavier always had issues dealing with his mistakes)

Why were people calling Xavier's action an assault on Storm? It was like reading her diary. An invasion of her privacy, but not an assault

The second definition of assault.

a concerted attempt to do something demanding

That is exactly what Xavier did and if we are honest there is no way he could get the specific info he wanted from a "surface scan". He wanted specific info and was simply trying to show he could take it if he wanted.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    This issue highlighted Storm’s most unlikable qualities.

She blames Xavier for all of her choices. Who forced her to stay with the X-Men all these years? Her ego.

Xavier points out she’s being small minded. She wanted to protect a village. Fine. He put her on a path to save a galaxy many times over. Still, she could leave at any time.

Blaming Xavier for the little to no regard she has for him, after all this time, only says something about her. Especially this day forward. Whatever comes next is on her.

It all adds up: Storm believes herself to be a goddess but she’s terrible at relationships.
    No, it's more like Charles has made a lot of questionable choices including the event of 'Sin of Sinisters', letting the Beast loose in the sea along with making a firm decision not to treat the mutants with respect and understanding.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why were people calling Xavier's action an assault on Storm? It was like reading her diary. An invasion of her privacy, but not an assault
    I'd say that, generally speaking, anything that is deliberately done to the psyche (mind, in this case) or body of someone without their consent can be understood as assault.

I wrote "generally speaking" because the medical care for someone in a coma could fall into that definition if you take it as absolute. So yeah, a certain level of common sense applies, but I think you get the point.

Anyway, if we accept this idea, reading someone's mind without permission is different to reading their diary, even though the goal might be the same: acquiring information.

Torturing someone or reading their diary also share the same goal, after all, but it's harder to argue they're the same, right?

The three things are different levels of violation, even though they have the same goal.

Does it make sense?

EDITED: Assault has other meanings, like a military assault. But, perhaps, in the context of the thread it helps thinking of assault as forceful abuse (abuse can be disguised as kind, assault can't). I hope this helps making it clear.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-11-2023 at 03:36 AM.

One more powerful thought about the issue came to me after reading the latest posts that i didn't even think about on first two reads. But, why Ororo? Even in the story xavier said he should have been reading people thoughts, using his powers, he should have done it to moira, to Sinister but he didn't. So one does have to ask why Now, Why specifically Ororo? This issue in a lot of ways was the fall of X. A part of me really hopes Charles makes his way to Red because this issue really lets me see there is a really good story for him there perhaps one that could even top max. A place where he too can achieve a new dream and maybe be better. This is one of those issues that i wish ewing got to directly follow up on where we get to see Xavier's perspective in this exact same conversation. Like X-men Red 11.5.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/