Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Red #11 - Review/Spoilers

We open with two of the preview pages, Craig of NASA talking with Chef Saucier at a dinner table overlooking the ocean of Arakko. Caption boxes, Storm's thoughts, tell us Craig has a doctorate in astrophysics and another in soil and crop sciences. Made the cover of NOW magazine twice. "He may be the most ordinary man I've ever been on a date with." She appears in the sky in her beautiful and lowers herself down, Craig taking her hand. They flirt a bit as Saucier presents a shot of chilled Krakoan gazpacho over caviar from Sobunar's ocean. Storm asks how the children are doing. He says Kobb still won't talk but he does smile, and that Loolo is doing great. The children lost their whole commune and the Argyre community has taken them in, Craig as well. The community has encouraged Loolo to talk through her experience and it's helping her. "Fisher's way. You can't heal if you don't say the pain aloud", Storm says.

Oof! Unfortunately they are interrupted by a large projection of Xavier's head appearing. He says he needs Storm to cut her "meeting" short and join him at once to talk about Erik. Storm is not pleased, apologizes to Craig as she gets up, and says he'll have to finish his answer on their second date.

We now get the hot bath scene with Sunspot, Nova, and Kobak Never-Held. Sunspot asks them how they think it's going. Nova responds "not great" and explains that the Proscenium is gone, destroyed. He's keeping an eye on all the fires back home. Rebel Skrulls, rogue Brood, etc. He says his Nova sense is tingling about Arakko. With no Proscenium, Arakko's diplomatic zone is the biggest interstellar forum going, making Arakko a big target. Nonetheless his therapist told him he needs to take six hours off each week so that's why he's hot-tubbing. Roberto says he was talking about Storm's date lol. He calls Nova a supercop which Nova rejects, saying his beat is planet-level emergencies and such. He and Roberto banter (flirt, imo) and discuss a game of soccer, no basketball, between the New Mutants and New Warriors.

Kobak says he must leave and prepare for his battle with Calderak in the Circle Perilous for the Seat of Victory. He stands up in all his naked glory and Roberto and Rich look hilariously taken aback by what he's packing. The placement of Roberto's knee in this panel is very funny. Kobak says he has no plans to yield so next time they see him he'll either be on the Great Ring or dead. He says if he does not return for them to remember him. Rich quietly responds, "shouldn't be a problem" as Kobak walks off. Roberto explains that under the new Law of Logos there are preliminary events before battle in the Circle, tests of fitness. The new Seat of Dreams is at that stage and the Seat of Stalemate was decided yesterday, won by an Arakkii named Lycaon. He starts explaining that Lycaon is like an Omega Wolverine when suddenly a flare rockets down from the External gate not far away. Alarmed, the guys start to stand up as Sunspot says a flare like that means something's come through it, something big. Or someone. He tells Nova to suit up. "This could become apocalyptic."

Storm is in her regular costume and arrives at the QC chamber where Xavier is waiting. The conversation between them is tense, dense, and layered. A recap won't don't it justice so hopefully you're able to read it. We get a flashback of when Xavier approached her in Africa, telling her she's not a goddess and that what he's offering her is not beautiful but it's real, not a fantasy. In the present, he asks if she still resents him all these years later. She says she was young enough to believe him when he told her it was just a fantasy, that helping her people survive was worth less than helping him. He asks if he was wrong and how many times she saved the world. They go back and forth and he says his hand was forced at the time, the X-Men were dying and he didn't have Erik to turn to. Ororo corrects him. "Max. His name is Max."

Xavier says "of course" and apologizes. He says he knew "Erik" as well as he knew himself, his oldest friend. But that he never saw "Max". Max never let him. When Magneto died Xavier was engaged in psychic warfare with the Eternal Uni-mind and though he felt his friend die he had no time for the fine details. "But now I am the sole captain of the ship of state. And this business with Sinister... how he infected me with his psyche... I must know, Ororo. What did he know? When did he know it? What were Magneto's last words?" Ororo says they were private and Xavier says "not from me." Ororo says from him most of all. She begins to call him out for the "sole captain" comment as if he's a king on a throne, as if the council doesn't matter. He grows angrier as he yells, "He was my oldest friend! He died in your arms! I have a right to know what he said to you, and I am not ASKING, Ororo!" She says she is no longer an X-Man and that he no longer leads her and asks in what capacity does he presume to order her.

She remains calm and collected while he's livid. He threatens to read her surface thoughts.

Ororo: By all means, Charles... try.

He says that Sinister didn't claim her so she couldn't know what it was like. Sinister didn't just control him, he was him. He's worried if he's been fully purged or not, and is confused about when Sinister initiated his strain into the DNA. That it's not what Sinister did that haunts him but when, as we get a flashback to when Xavier and Magneto first approached Sinister. He says they're surrounded by enemies, within and without.

Xavier: Moira lost her faith and turned against us. Max lost his and turned away. If I lose my faith... Can our nation survive? Already, there are cracks in the bedrock.

He continues to express his fears and Storm, after listening, tells him that Max was thinking of him as he died. She tells him Max asked her to watch him. "Not because he thought you might be Sinister. Because you might be you."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sunspot and Nova (chests exposed) approach the External Gate which is glowing and Nova gives it a gravimetric scan. He says the readings are "real bad", like something cutting through space. Carving a path between realities, closer to them with every swing. He asks who has that kind of power and Sunspot says Otherworld has weapons they can't imagine. The glowing starts to flare and Nova tells Sunspot to get behind him.

Chills, all around, this whole issue.

From Ewing's newsletter:

"We're back from the Sinister future in time for a long, long, long-awaited confrontation - as Storm and Professor X finally talk about Magneto's last words. I won't spoil how it goes, but I will say that, out of all the data pages I've designed and built myself - and there have been a few - this issue contains the pair I'm proudest of. Meanwhile, the rest of the cast are in relaxation mode - beautifully drawn by our pre-FoX artist Jacopo Camagni, with color art from Federico Blee - until an unexpected visitor threatens to throw things into turmoil. Is everyone ready for the Genesis War...?"

Ready to see the Pocalypse family return, but I’m curious. What is Genesis pissed off about now?

I wasn’t really feeling the characterization of Storm this issue, or the ladt Immortal. Storm has always been a strong willed, determined character, and she could put you in your place, as she has done with Xavier in the past. But she always did it with class. She once told Xavier she wouldn’t let him or anyone else drag her through the mud. And she was right. But I’ll reserve judgement until I see where this is going. Maybe its meant to show the effects of Arrako.

The characterization of Xavier was more off, though it follows a pattern they’ve been following. I dont get the whole “Xavier is the real untrustworthy villain, and Magneto a man of dignity” spin they’ve been dishing out. I’ve read too many X-men stories for the discussion between Storm and Xavier about Magneto to ring true. Ororo comes off as acreal b***h here, and that isn’t her.
    Last edited by SugarMan; 05-10-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Let me throw my shoe real quick at Ewing because he did that!

Its was excellent, everything was excellent. I loved how she cut ties with Xavier whilst being sympathetic to him, she joined the xmen to fight for the dream of humans and mutants cooperating, after many years doing that she has realized she doesnt need to follow another man's dream to achieve this goal, xavier can his dream and he can have his xmen but storm is soaring on the wings of her own ambitions for a better tomorrow for all humanity. She has graduated the Xavier school for gifted youngsters officially finally!
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    Ready to see the Pocalypse family return, but I’m curious. What is Genesis pissed off about now?

I wasn’t really feeling the characterization of Storm this issue, or the ladt Immortal. Storm has always been a strong willed, determined character, and she could put you in your place, as she has done with Xavier in the past. But she always did it with class. She once told Xavier she wouldn’t let him or anyone else drag her through the mud. And she was right. But I’ll reserve judgement until I see where this is going. Maybe its meant to show the effects of Arrako.

The characterization of Xavier was more off, though it follows a pattern they’ve been following. I dont get the whole “Xavier is the real untrustworthy villain, and Magneto a man of dignity” spin they’ve been dishing out. I’ve read too many X-men stories for the discussion between Storm and Xavier about Magneto to ring true. Ororo comes off as acreal b***h here, and that isn’t her.
    I didn't really see anything wrong here with Ororo's characterization, she can be harsh at times when she feels betrayed or upset. This is the same woman that stabbed Callisto and just walked away.

Or calling Charles an old man while throwing around daggers and potted plants, while threatening to leave the X-Men when he wanted Rogue to join.

Anyway, enjoyed the issue, Ewing has a way of conveying a lot information in a short amount of time which I appreciate.

I really enjoyed this and it was a powerful conversation. Storm handled this as she did with Vulcan, remaining collected and calm while the other lashed out. But then after Xavier finally allowed himself to be vulnerable and poured his heart out, she was willing to tell him what Magneto said. She has every right to be tired of the nonsense just as I understand Xavier is faced with this crisis without his oldest confidant. It rings true that he’s worried about the fate of the nation should he lose his faith in it. That’s something he’s going to have to figure out on his own though.

I’m so here for Ororo dialing up the flirting. “Well I do believe in human/mutant relations” and straight up asking handsome Craig what the real her looks like to him. There is so much fire and electricity between them, pun intended. Speaking of fire, the way Kobak commanded the scene when he stood up. King stuff. I’m lowkey here for casual relations between DaCosta and Rider. The exposed chests should be required from here forth.

Great to see young Ironfire too and I hope we get a flashback to what exactly happened with Genesis and White Sword.

Amazing issue. I'm really looking forward to seeing Genesis and the rest of the gang come back, and to find out what happened with the White Sword.

One thing I thought was kinda odd about the issue was the whole Max thing. I do remember him introducing himself as Max to the Fisher King in issue one, but I can't think of a single time anyone else, including Ororo, referred to him as Max. They usually called him Magneto. Perhaps Ewing could have added Ororo calling him Max a few times throughout the run to make this moment with Charles stronger.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So White Sword has died...??!?

o, no, noooooo.....!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Like I said in the Storm thread:

This was by FAR one of my Top Favorite Issues of X-Men Red. 10/10

There’s so much to unpack, but Storm and Pro. X discussion was beautiful it showed how Narcissistic Charles really is. He is busy pointing fingers and not taking responsibility for his own actions and wanting people to march to the beat of his drum he loses sights of the important stuff.

Some people may think Storm is petty for holding this grudge for a long time, but the fact of the matter is. Charles Xavier NEVER apologized for it. He’s not once acknowledged how Storm felt when he pulled her away from her homeland. Storm ended up bottling up that anger and moved on. But gets brought back up when Charles messes up. And then screams for Storm to help. It’s funny how Pro. X complains that people keep Secrets from him when he’s the reason and he doesn’t understand that. LOL MAN this dude is a piece of work.

Anyway, I’m glad to see Jon SexyIronfire!!! And I’m curious to see the New character named “Lycaon” a Nee member of the Great Ring. It’s stated the character is like an Omega Lvl Wolverine whatever that means I’m so interested. And of Course I’m excited for the Genesis War. **** is Getting real!!!
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    Just my take, of course, but I've never gotten the sense that its about portraying Xavier as the real villain and Magneto as the real hero, so much as just exploring the fact that whatever else you might say about Magneto, he owned his actions and choices. He accepted what they said about him. Whereas Xavier has a very extensive history of trying to thread the needle between doing things he himself acknowledges are wrong and unjustifiable, but still trying to justify them anyway, at least to his students or X-Men.

With Xavier, its the whole trying to have his cake and eat it too thing. Whereas Magneto's historically more inclined to just be like 'yeah I did that. What about it?'

Astonishing Member

I mean the whole point of the Krakoa story is that Xavier and magneto had been working together, in secret and being shady together, for years, to build Krakoa. But we supposed to be like Xavier is so shady, but not magneto?

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    So White Sword has died...??!?

o, no, noooooo.....!
    Well, damn. I liked him as a potential foe for Cable when he comes back to this book.

And I'm definitely intrigued by Lycaon, described as "an Omega Wolverine." I kind of thought that's what they were positioning Jon Ironfire as honestly. But this guy sounds like Romulus on steroids or something.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

As always Al Ewing delivers the goods with this issue. That was one hell of a entrance by Ironfire.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Sounds like a great issue as usual but trying to spin Storm's recruitment as being forced feels weird after recently reading GXM 1 and the following Count Nefaria story.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

No there’s been a definite push since Inferno to stick as much blame* for the dodgier aspects of Krakoa on Xavier and Xavier alone

Magneto totally didn’t give a dodgy as hell speech in Jerusalem, that’s just stupid humans (such as you readers who question krakoa!) being naturally bigoted, the Quiet Council (Storm included) didn’t gleefully jump into open supremacism and are letting Beast and Nature Girl run loose. And Storm certainly didn’t make a magicially binding contract with MR. No, it’s all Xavier’s’ fault.

*which for the record he owns like 80% of the blame as is