Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why were people calling Xavier's action an assault on Storm? It was like reading her diary. An invasion of her privacy, but not an assault
    This is a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The second definition of assault.

a concerted attempt to do something demanding

That is exactly what Xavier did and if we are honest there is no way he could get the specific info he wanted from a "surface scan". He wanted specific info and was simply trying to show he could take it if he wanted.
    You have literally no idea what that definition is supposed to mean. Take the words you use seriously. That definition has nothing to do with abuse.

Look at the freaking example given for that definition:
    "a winter assault on Mt Everest"
    "Women's groups have demanded a nationwide assault on sexism in the workplace."
    "Cash Junior made a full-frontal assault on Hollywood's 'moral delinquency'."

If you're gonna use a serious word, then take it seriously.

What Xavier did isn't directly comparable to a real life situation, but one thing we know is that telepathy is invasive, but not harmful.
    Invading someone's privacy can definitely be unethical.

If you consider an invasion of privacy to be a form of abuse at times, that's fine, but most people would say there are plenty forms of invading their privacy that while bad, aren't abuse.

These are serious topics, so treat them seriously instead of using your words willy nilly.

I mean, the mind is more than just an object you can leave out. It's part of your person, your identity, who you are. Something so intimate, private and part of you should be respected as much as your body, if not moreso. The mind if you, while a diary is an object you use to express yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I mean, the mind is more than just an object you can leave out. It's part of your person, your identity, who you are. Something so intimate, private and part of you should be respected as much as your body, if not moreso. The mind if you, while a diary is an object you use to express yourself.
    Yes, it's an extreme invasion of privacy where a diary is a little lower on that spectrum. But they are very much on the same spectrum

You have literally no idea what that definition is supposed to mean. Take the words you use seriously. That definition has nothing to do with abuse.

What Xavier did isn't directly comparable to a real life situation, but one thing we know is that telepathy is invasive, but not harmful.

If you consider an invasion of privacy to be a form of abuse at times, that's fine, but most people would say there are plenty forms of invading their privacy that while bad, aren't abuse.

These are serious topics, so treat them seriously instead of using your words willy nilly.
    Please don't try to lecture or presume to "educate" me on the usage of the word. You could barely interpret the story apparently so I highly doubt you can discern my knowledge or frame on speaking of any word. Speak for and emote for, yourself, not I.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Storm was bleeding through her nose when Xavier was done. Some physical harm was done. In real life the most direct analogy would be someone losing control and hiting another one full in the face, with enough force to draw blood. In my country that would be assault plus minor injury. I guess you could say she only bled because she resisted the probe, but that only makes it worse. It was a direct paralel to Xavier assaulting Amelia Vogh whe she left him. This is Xavier at his worst. Only way left is up!

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Storm was bleeding through her nose when Xavier was done. Some physical harm was done. In real life the most direct analogy would be someone losing control and hiting another one full in the face, with enough force to draw blood. In my country that would be assault plus minor injury. I guess you could say she only bled because she resisted the probe, but that only makes it worse. It was a direct paralel to Xavier assaulting Amelia Vogh whe she left him. This is Xavier at his worst. Only way left is up!
    did they even read the comic? Or saw some scans and got angry lol. Like you said she was bleeding. Also wasnt xavier entire cling to goodness the fa t that he will never forcefully use his power on an innocent hell that he will be hard pressed to use his power to violate the peivace of even his enemies. And he thought it wise to invade storms mind without her consent? It's even a wonder that she gave him grace and didnt just fry him into oblivion as we all know one of her big no no is telepathic invasion.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    did they even read the comic? Or saw some scans and got angry lol. Like you said she was bleeding. Also wasnt xavier entire cling to goodness the fa t that he will never forcefully use his power on an innocent hell that he will be hard pressed to use his power to violate the peivace of even his enemies. And he thought it wise to invade storms mind without her consent? It's even a wonder that she gave him grace and didnt just fry him into oblivion as we all know one of her big no no is telepathic invasion.
    If Magneto encounters this, he will use Cerebro to crush Xavier's skull.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Mighty Member

Yes, it's an extreme invasion of privacy where a diary is a little lower on that spectrum. But they are very much on the same spectrum
    No it's not, a diary is a book of pages where write their most intimate thoughts. A mind houses a lot more than that. She said Max's last words were private, something she wanted to protect and keep between her and him and exclude Charles. He tried to take them by force, not consent just to show that he could.

Why are you ignoring the threat he leveled at the beginning of the exchange or the fact that Storm's resistance was strong enough to knock him on his ass? That was assault, you can pretend it wasn't because your focused on the information and not the act of how he was going to get it.

Since when is telepathy not harmful? We have decades of stories of the shadow King nearly ending the world, or onslaught, or proteus or the white queen lobotomizing storm or the Phoenix leaving Emma in a Coma. Have you been reading the comics or are you being contrarian just to be difficult?
    Last edited by OG Storm; 05-11-2023 at 04:52 AM.

I like how Xavier yells (via dialogue) at Storm that he isn't ASKING(!) for information and then immediately proceeds to forcibly probe her mind without consent, yet some don't consider that assault. I can see this is gonna to be up there with "Storm needs to humble herself." It's so out of step with what happened in the issue that I don't even see how there's any doubt about calling it exactly what it was. But I'm not surprised I guess. Several posters in the past have tried to excuse the crimes of other telepathic wrongdoings.

I think diary is a good example but i think what the poster intentionally leaves out is the context of the situation. What would be similar is if your holding the diary in your hand at the time and though the person isn't physically hurting you while you are screaming no they are pulling the diary directly out your hand while you struggle to keep it. This isn't just "oh, someone left their diary laying around"
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Xavier was using psychic energy to probe her mind against her will. It's a bit more dangerous than merely ripping a book from someone hand. Both are assault and violations. He was treating her like a child and not a someone he loved. I know you know that but this was classic abusive behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    If Magneto encounters this, he will use Cerebro to crush Xavier's skull.
    He wont let this fly like Xavier will die. Storm not killing him even though we all know she HATES touching her mid without her concern. But rather she asked him what is happening to him listened, then volunteered the information willingly but to ensure there are consequences for his actions cut ties with him. She gave him more grace than he deserved because she knows who he is and she knew his actions then wasnt totally him.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Okay, let's think of an example in the real world (even though the analogy is *not* perfect) that has to do with invasion of privacy in a spectrum.

a) Someone watches another person getting naked.
    b) Someone not only watches another person getting naked, they film it.
    c) Someone forcibly takes the clothes off the body of another person to see them naked.

Would you agree that 'c' elevates the violation of privacy into something else?

If so, could we say that forcefully reading someone's mind elevates the violation of privacy into something else too? If so, what would you call it if not assault?

I'm genuinely interested.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-11-2023 at 05:19 AM.

The ignorance of the gravity of what Xavier did to storm I feel plays onto the perception people have about telepathy not being that much of an actual power because its effects are more ephemeral. They regard physical attacks as more serious than mental ones. When mental attacks can be just as damaging if not even more so as it directly affects ts the very being of the person. What Charles did was a violation of the highest order. After her very awful earlier encounter with emma storm has had it out for telepaths touching her mind ever since. And even before emma she had a huge problem with it, case in point when she and jean were walking in town and jean picked up on storm's claustrophobia when they were going into the subway. My thing is that the reason storm has a very huge problem with psychic meddling even more so than your average person is because of the fact that she was almost rapped when she was a child. That violation really steered her principals to value her bodily autonomy and her power of self above anything. Contrast this with the fa t that as a pick pocket in Cairo she was under the influence of the shadow king. And you begin to understand her relationship to telepathy and invasion of her mind.

Again the fact that he stepped over this very BIG boundary without dying only losing his relationship with ororo, tells you how much storm tried to give him grace and space whilst respecting herself and her boundaries.