Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was still kind of sad though.
    yup~ Kings a writer who is more than willing to use tragedy to contrast and make the highs so much loftier to the stories lows. Plus we know this story will be opening with a mass genocide seemingly at the hand of Amazons. I see it going to some dark places before we get our cathartic victories

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Come on man, this is Casually Comics, she strongly supports female characters and doesn't have a toxic fan base. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
    I like Casually Comics a LOT. But there's nothing on YouTube that prevents misogynists from seeing an opportunity to join in on the bashing. You never see the horrific sexist/misogynists insults often leveled at the host?

Come on, fam. Be realistic.

Just because you AGREE with the sentiments doesn't mean that those sentiments can't be shared by people you would otherwise not find agreement with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    yup~ Kings a writer who is more than willing to use tragedy to contrast and make the highs so much loftier to the stories lows. Plus we know this story will be opening with a mass genocide seemingly at the hand of Amazons. I see it going to some dark places before we get our cathartic victories
    Genocide is the clown's department, this is just a murder.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I like Casually Comics a LOT. But there's nothing on YouTube that prevents misogynists from seeing an opportunity to join in on the bashing. You never see the horrific sexist/misogynists insults often leveled at the host?

Come on, fam. Be realistic.

Just because you AGREE with the sentiments doesn't mean that those sentiments can't be shared by people you would otherwise not find agreement with.
    A thing can be disliked by different groups of people with different ideals, it doesn't make you one of them....
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    A thing can be disliked by different groups of people with different ideals, it doesn't make you one of them....
    Thank you, well said.

Fantastic Member

That's EXACTLY what I said. I don't know why you felt the need to repeat it.

Fantastic Member

Thank you, well said.
    For the record, I never said that you were one of anything. I just said you might now find yourself in agreement with people you otherwise disagree with. That, in fact, was meant to distinguish you from them. And the only reason I said this at all was because you were trying to say that none of the comments could possibly be coming from a place of sexism or misogyny, which is a really bananas thing to say on Janet Jackson's YouTube.

And I'm guessing the only reason you said something so bananas is because you didn't want to have an opinion similar to people who are sexist and misogynist. But like your homie Perseus said, I guess sometimes bigots' opinions line up with the people's who say they ain't bigots. Go figure.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 07-03-2023 at 02:11 PM.

For the record, I never said that you were one of anything. I just said you might now find yourself in agreement with people you otherwise disagree with. That, in fact, was meant to distinguish you from them. And the only reason I said this at all was because you were trying to say that none of the comments could possibly be coming from a place of sexism or misogyny, which is a really bananas thing to say on Janet Jackson's YouTube.

And I'm guessing the only reason you said something so bananas is because you didn't want to have an opinion similar to people who are sexist and misogynist. But like your homie Perseus said, I guess sometimes bigots' opinions line up with the people's who say they ain't bigots. Go figure.
    I wasn't referring to misogynistic comments though. Also they're better when read newest first, instead of the top comments first. Some of them are golden.

------

"I THINK TOM KING IS TRYING TO "MANSPLAIN" WHY WONDER WOMAN IS SO GREAT.

See, Tom King is incapable of writing about anything that doesn't reflect an aspect of Tom King.
    His past with the CIA. His guilt. His PTSD. His therapy. His marriage. His taste in women. His issues with the government. His hopes. His dreams.

(except that one time where he stole the plot from True Grit and made into a Supergirl comic, and wouldn't you know it, that is the one getting a movie)

So now, Tom King is going to write about how Wonder Woman can be cool enough to impress his little girl.
    he doesn't think Wondy is as cool as Bats or Supes. but his daughter does. And instead of just leaving it at that, he is going to deconstruct & reconstruct Diana in order to understand why his daughter likes her...instead of realizing the obvious answer.
    And just like Tom was the Bat, and his wife was the Cat, Trinity is how Tom King views his daughter.

And what father wouldn't see his little princess as THE BESTEST EVAR?

So in short - The next Wonder Woman run is about a father writing about his daughter...does that makes sense to you?"

-------

"After had read it, I'm willing to give Trinity a chance but I really prefer Yara Flor for the new generation of the Trinity. Future State made me really interested with the dynamic between her and Jon, there was underlying antagonism to their relationship but mutual respect that spoke of the two having history - not necessarily romantic but there was definitely something heavy that happened...or petty. Honestly I'm here for either"

-----

"The brash attitude and shear cockiness fills me with the idea the Wonder Woman was largely absent from her Lizzy's childhood. She's comes off as spoiled and generally uncaring of others when her own wants and needs come first; everyone else is a tool for her to use. Vanessa Kapatelis would be a fascinating character for her to have a familiar dynamic with in that she felt so left behind by Diana and Elizabeth perhaps may have a similar feeling."

-----

"Tom King wrote one of the best Superman stories ever, but he also seems to really have trouble writing female characters. Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow came across almost as annoying and rude towards specifically Superman for no good reason. Your Korra comparison feels very apt right now because I have two brothers and we joke and tease one another but it doesn't ever sound like this. I don't know any siblings who would."

------

"The "Kind of like Wonder Woman," part bothers me more than it probably should. The writer said this wasn't going to tear Wonder Woman apart, and then he turns around and refers to her as an old and tired joke told too often. Could very well be that I'm simply misinterpreting the intention of such a quote. Could very well just be them trying to further establish that Trinity is supposedly not just another Wonder Woman, but to me, without any other context given that this is the character's introduction, that just comes off as blatantly and purposefully disrespectful to Wonder Woman.

Not saying that a character like Trinity as we see her in this issue can't be done well, but as far as first impressions go, this one's not landing with me at all. She just comes off as too arrogant and too selfish to really be likeable. Even if I consider the side of it being a possible sibling angle (which I would have never thought of had you not mentioned it), her interactions with Jon and Damian comes off less as casual banter of siblings, and more like she just hates them for some reason, and is using and belittling them at any chance for her own gratification.

Again, not saying that they can't turn her character around or anything, but if this is what can be expected from her moving forward, then things aren't looking too good."

-----

"As someone with two sisters, Trinity's bullshit does not strike me as playful sibling banter / ribbing or even sibling bickering. It comes across as just an arrogant jerk driving some sick pleasure from bringing others down and inflating her own ego who goes unchallenged. A fun part of the sibling banter or even sibling bickering dynamic is the back and forth, but it doesn't work when Trinity is the one spewing all the toxicity and insults while John Kent and Damian Wayne just stay silent, take all the insults and don't deliver a comeback. Heck, it would have been a lot better if Damian and Trinity were always at each other's throats, trading insults and roasts, and John had to break them up and stop their bickering."

------

"I haven't been a fan of Tom King's work since his Batman run, the death of Alfred and the two-in-one burial that was the killing of Roy Harper at the hands of the recently returned Wally West. So, I was going to avoid this book anyway. Not even the phenomenal art was going to draw me in this time (I'm looking at you, War Of Jokes & Riddles). And I can tell, just from your review here, that Trinity is not a likeable character. It would never have occurred to me that her insults and attitude were meant as playful banter. Never. And, honestly, she's not even necessary. As you've shown here, there are already three existing characters, whom we like and who are more than capable of occupying Trinity's space. I would normally wait and see where they take her in coming issues. But I don't even care enough to do that. Thanks for another great review."

------

"Wonder Woman was created very deliberately and methodically by a writer who understood the necessity of a woman superhero girls could look up to, one who embodies feminist ideals while at the same time being a likeable person who tries to have a normal life like everyone else with someone she loves only to be thwarted by her responsibilities. It makes Diana Prince and her alter ego seem more human and, therefore, more relatable. Trinity, by contrast, comes across as a bossy spoiled brat who grates on the nerves. I can see where this comic series will end up going, and it's not looking good."

-------

"Jon can probably brush off a few jokes, but Damien doesn't seem like the kind of person to listen to anyone's sass, family/friends or otherwise. Unless Dame snarks back."

------
    She just feels so pointless ngl. To me she just feels like they wanted a 'new' WW / Windergirl. Even visually just doesnt feel like much new.

I'd be more forgiving if Yara wasn't like RIGHT there. It feels like they barely even tried to integrate her and hype her up after her debut. Yara is really neat just needed more time and fleshing out, but nope another character. So happy that the trinity will have ANOTHER up and coming new member thatll get forgotten and barely used after a year or two."

------

"I like the idea of Wonder Woman being a mom, I do. She had a "cool aunt" vibe with Cassie. Diana and Donna didn't really interact all that much on panel, with Donna mostly being a Teen Titans character and not often being Wonder Woman's actual sidekick. So this girl being someone who considers Wonder Woman "Mom" could be very interesting.

But the abrasive cocky attitude doesn't work well with Damien already there. Introducing her in a future story instead of the timeline of Wonder Woman taking her in might be pre-emptively dooming the character"

------

"Honestly all this made me think was "wait wasn't Yara a thing?" and so I finally decided to check her run instead. First issue was a lot more solid for Yara imo, just a better tease for the mystery and I also just liked the artstyle better. I know at some point she was supposed to get a CW show and I almost wish she did just so she had more exposure by now and they wouldn't already be trying to introduce another WW legacy character."

------

Sorry about the wordiness of all this, I agreed with so much, I could be cutting and pasting all day.

Fantastic Member

Right. Great examples. But you buried the lede. You could have just said that in the beginning instead of pretending that it was impossible that any of the comments could have been informed by sexism and misogyny.

indeed, nuance matters

You beat me to this. I was like "What the heck? I cannot dislike a character I find to be pretentious (not necessarily Trinity but speaking in general) because of certain other people who might not like the character for more nefarious reasons?" when I read the original comment.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-03-2023 at 08:36 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay if we're gonna be engaging in character tribalism, I have to say that one thing Lizzie has going for her compared to Yara is the former is actually part of her author's story.

Like the big issue with Yara is that she is a character created for an obsolete status quo, an issue she suffers along with the rest of the Future State characters. While her book was cancelled extremally early and for an easily preventable reason, it should be reminded that all the books starring the rest of the FS Justice League got cancelled or discontinued in some way. Jo Mullein's Green Lantern series got cancelled at 12 issues, Andy Curry had to be replaced by Jackson Hyde whose own series Aquamen was cancelled at a paltry 6 issues (and this is after getting an entire mini-series to build him up as Aquaman), Jess Chambers hasn't appeared since the end of their Teen Justice mini barring an appearance in the recent Pride book, with Jon Kent and Jace Fox's chugging along the longest at 18 issues before being cancelled to little fanfare.

Yara is a character without a story, capsized of a signature run that all characters need. Like say what you will about Donna and Cass' at times irrelevancy but at least they have been part of previously celebrated runs and teams, while Yara's own Justice League doesn't even exist currently if it ever will.

Lizzie is at least part of a planned story by her creator King, similar to how Damian's development largely came from his creator Morrison. Now sure King's run could wind up bad, but if it turns out good then at least Lizzie will have something significant associated with her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    indeed, nuance matters

You beat me to this. I was like "What the heck? I cannot dislike a character I find to be pretentious (not necessarily Trinity but speaking in general) because of certain other people who might not like the character for more nefarious reasons?" when I read the original comment.
    I love the way y’all are arguing a point I never made. Talking about “nuance” like that’s the conversation-ender. All I said was some of those comments seem to be coming from a sexist/misogynist position and then I was told that was impossible because reasons. I never said anyone here was misogynist or sexist simply because they disliked Lizzie. But I also know that hit dogs holler. So whatevs.

I love the way y’all are arguing a point I never made. Talking about “nuance” like that’s the conversation-ender. All I said was some of those comments seem to be coming from a sexist/misogynist position and then I was told that was impossible because reasons. I never said anyone here was misogynist or sexist simply because they disliked Lizzie. But I also know that hit dogs holler. So whatevs.
    No one said it was "impossible" I didn't comment on misogyny at all. I saw it for what it was, an attempt to distract from the principle discussion.

Lizzie's debut is smelling like flop sweat.

Fantastic Member

No one said it was "impossible" I didn't comment on misogyny at all. I saw it for what it was, an attempt to distract from the principle discussion.

Lizzie's debut is smelling like flop sweat.
    Girl, all I said was SOME of those comments were suss. If you saw that as my attempt at distraction, clearly it was a failure on my part because as you can see, mad people here are siding with your perspective and also feel like Lizzie is wack. So go awf, chile. Get your entire life, hunty. Y’all win.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 07-04-2023 at 06:41 AM.

Girl, all I said was SOME of those comments were suss. If you saw that as my attempt at distraction, clearly it was a failure on my part because as you can see, mad people here are siding with your perspective and also feel like Lizzie is wack. So go awf, chile. Get your entire life. You won, hunty.
    I always do. *sips champagne*