Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

.....yup, I hate her. That was quick.
    Oh wow, this is bad. This is some fan fiction level dialogue.

It's beat for beat this parody of YA novel protagonist executed in the space of two panels and with a straight face: A-mazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comm...n_ya_novel_oc/

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Oh wow, this is bad. This is some fan fiction level dialogue.

It's beat for beat this parody of YA novel protagonist executed in the space of two panels and with a straight face: A-mazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comm...n_ya_novel_oc/
    I mean...

No? Not really?

Currently Damian is like 15, Jon 18, and Lizzy 0. No way.

Absolutely turbololling at the fact that they'd definitely originally wanted to force Yara into the role of the future Big Three member with Jon and Damian, but now it's like nah, we'll swap her out for yet another new character who's...also basically just Yara, but with a palette swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

.....yup, I hate her. That was quick.
    I will see where this goes, but I never understood why writers are so obsessed with the trope of introducing a new character and rushing to tell the audience they're better than everyone else. I'm no fan of "Hal is the best Lantern" thing, but at least he's long had the credibility to earn that moniker, wouldn't make much sense if they started calling him that ever since his debut appearance though. Trying to tell people that a new character is better than the rest just because of who she's related to is forced and unearned, even if it's supposed to be part of her character journey. Show, don't tell.

Jon’s a loser so I don’t care if they dunk on him, and if Damian has anything more than the suit in common with Batman 666 he’s a huge screw up in his own right. I can buy Lizzie being the most successful nepo baby of the three.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I don't see a problem, Damian is arrogant as well. At least Lizzie isn't an exact copy of her mother. Just look at Jon and Damian in this story - they're essentially just their fathers with different names and outfits, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Absolutely turbololling at the fact that they'd definitely originally wanted to force Yara into the role of the future Big Three member with Jon and Damian, but now it's like nah, we'll swap her out for yet another new character who's...also basically just Yara, but with a palette swap.
    Yara was supposed to be part of Trinity from Future State, alongside Jon and Jace Fox. This new Trinity is completely different thing.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 06-21-2023 at 01:07 AM.

Are we supposed to believe that a mortal man with no powers is able to go mano a mano with the literal goddess of victory? And how did he manage to avoid/dodge that first strike when Nike also happens to be the embodiment of speed? Batgod strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I don't see a problem, Damian is arrogant as well. At least Lizzie isn't an exact copy of her mother. Just look at Jon and Damian in this story - they're essentially just their fathers with different names and outfits, lol.

Yara was supposed to be part of Trinity from Future State, alongside Jon and Jace Fox. This new Trinity is completely different thing.
    Damian was raised by the League of Assassins, being an arrogant little shit comes with the territory for him. Lizzie was raised by the most noble character in the DCU. Having an attitude like that is much more notable for her than it is for someone with Damian's background. Granted we don't know how she was raised yet and it is interesting she's different from Diana. They shouldn't go overboard with it though because it's a thin line.

OK, so that was an interesting reading experience - going from the end of the Cloonrad run, to this teaser for King's run, which is also not a true teaser in that we know at least the first arc is going to be entirely centred on Diana, and we won't be getting grown-up Trinity for awhile.

Having both elements in one issue was useful, because it sort of cast in stark relief why I've been looking forward to King's run, and why I've felt disappointed about where Cloonrad's went.

Ultimately the Cloonrad run felt like hell of a lot of wheel-spinning for a long time, with characters prone to saying things to one another that sounded pretty but meaningless, sometimes even interchangeable. I could go from issue to issue barely remembering what happened before, with dialogue rambling on without hitting the mark. Things felt neither distinct, or of consequence. It didn't start that way, as many have said - the first arc or two are wonderful. But as time went on it felt incredibly safe, forgettable. And this last story felt like a good example of that - very pretty, very safe, with 100 ways to say ultimately the same quite bland things about Diana and her relationships (so few of which actually grew enough in this run for this to feel warranted).

The teaser for King's run, and the introduction of Trinity, really jump out against that context. The character is vivid (clearly, because she also seems to be irritating people with her overconfidence). I'm enjoying that she's not written as necessarily likeable, to have something of an ego, to believe she's the best in the room, but also to not seem completely serious about that either. I disagree with the framing that Trinity is being written as if she's the best - I think she's being written partly as if she believes she's the best, but also that she's doing so sarcastically - jaded and flippant about her own context and status in the way a child raised by all these huge personalities might be. I don't necessarily warm to her as a character, but I warm to the fact that she's interesting, and the story around her appears to be interesting too. Things feel like they matter, it doesn't feel safe, and that's what I was looking forward to with King's run.

I think the inclusion of Jon and Damian is smart strategically, even while I understand that those of us who have read Wonder Woman books for years have a list as long as our arms of other characters closer to Diana (and our hearts) that could serve as her guides, peers or companions. It feels smart because those characters are both pretty popular in their own ways, because King is comfortable writing them, and because they provide another way for us to see Trinity as distinct to her mother (by presenting the three or them as a different "trinity" from their parents). I think I also disagree with some of the perspective that Jon and Damian read like their parents - that feels a little too reductive. Both of them come to similar traits via very different means. For example, Damian's taciturn demeanour is not rooted in pragmatism like it is with Bruce, its rooted in arrogance - the every-present perception that this would all be more efficient if they'd let him do it alone.

We don't yet know enough about Trinity and her upbringing, but it is interesting to contrast (already) her confidence (or cockiness, even flippancy) with the smiling confidence of her mother (which is never arrogant, but no less playful). Bringing the three children together just adds some more complexity to thinking through all those dynamics. Would I like to see where Lizzie fits with the other Amazons, or any of the Wonder Girls? Sure. But this is a long-game run, and I'll wait.

My greatest cautiousness about this run would be that it might feel like Azzarello - where the quality of the writing and art is enjoyable, but the storytelling decisions and characters choices are actively detrimental to the symbolism of Wonder Woman. This initial issue doesn't flag those fears for me, mostly because we haven't had Diana yet. But it does seem clear from King's many interviews that he is starting from a place of "Wonder Woman is awesome, and she should be awesome for young girls like my daughter too, so let me show you all the ways she is". A flashforward to what the daughter of Wonder Woman might be like feels like a very left-field, but fun and interesting way to start. I'm good to see how it unfolds, and I'm relieved by how A-list it already feels. I'll be pre-ordering issue 1 for sure!

Well, you summed up my thought just perfectly, THANK YOU

Don’t know if I like Trinity yet, but I’m interested in learning and seeing much more. Also love the three lassos concept!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    You mean Yara, Jon and Jace. They were the Big Three along with Andy Curry of Future State and 5g.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Damian was raised by the League of Assassins, being an arrogant little shit comes with the territory for him. Lizzie was raised by the most noble character in the DCU. Having an attitude like that is much more notable for her than it is for someone with Damian's background. Granted we don't know how she was raised yet and it is interesting she's different from Diana. They shouldn't go overboard with it though because it's a thin line.
    That's the point, we know almost nothing about her.
    And being raised by noble character doesn't really mean she's going to be the same, without any flaws. There might be number of reasons why she's acting the way she is. Maybe it's part of her arc, and she's going to be humbled down the road. I think it's already more interesting, than usual writing of Jon, who's literally just the copy of his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    You mean Yara, Jon and Jace. They were the Big Three along with Andy Curry of Future State and 5g.
    Actually, Lizzie provides a way to bring the older Andy back, since she's a toddler right now, the Future State version of Aquawoman would be a couple of years prior to us meeting Trinity. I can imagine her being a member of Lizzie's Justice League. You could then have Damian, Jon, Irey West (currently Thunderheart, but she'd be The Flash by then), Keli Quintela (Teen Lantern, who'd become a full fledged Green Lantern), and one of the younger Arrow family members (Red Arrow or Cheshire Cat?) completing the line-up. Trinity would be the youngest member of the team, but probably became leader because she's the one who assembled it (hence them all being Super Sons generation or younger, rather than being from the older Titans generations or classic Justice League). Yara's age makes her the same generation as Young Justice despite debuting after the Super Sons, and Jace is the same generation as the oldest Titans group.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    The character is vivid (clearly, because she also seems to be irritating people with her overconfidence). I'm enjoying that she's not written as necessarily likeable, to have something of an ego, to believe she's the best in the room, but also to not seem completely serious about that either. I disagree with the framing that Trinity is being written as if she's the best - I think she's being written partly as if she believes she's the best, but also that she's doing so sarcastically - jaded and flippant about her own context and status in the way a child raised by all these huge personalities might be. I don't necessarily warm to her as a character, but I warm to the fact that she's interesting, and the story around her appears to be interesting too. Things feel like they matter, it doesn't feel safe, and that's what I was looking forward to with King's run.
    I feel like the framing becomes complicated if she is actually the leader of the Justice League too at her age. Then she is actually deemed the best by the other heroes that made her the leader by following her.