Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    In one area. It doesn't make her inferior to Superman in general, which is an implication I took issue with.
    One area?. DC is constantrly portraying WW as weaker and less durable than SM too. So with this it would be 3 areas. And WW hass shown to be way faster than speeding bullet before.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Fury/Trinitys upbringings couldnt be anymore different

A whole page of WW's daughter actually interacting with Diana and her supporting cast with no mention of Superman or Batman. What an outrageous concept!

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    This is kinda how I look at it.

The punch out sequence is more troublesome than the bullet mention, to me anyway.
    Then how come WW has been shoen faster than speeding bullets before?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Besides, it makes sense that Diana has some things that aren't at Clark's level - it's the same in reverse, Diana is stronger against magic and not affected by Kryptonite, those are Superman's two big weaknesses. She's also better than him at using weapons and armour, and has her lasso, all things that make up for the powers he has and she doesn't (his heat and x-ray vision, and freeze breath). Both are better than the other in different ways. Neither of them are invincible, and that was Diana's point when talking to Lizzie there, that lack of invulnerability. She can't just act like Jon does, she has to understand her own abilities and cover her weaknesses. In this case, guns, hence the old bullets and bracelets routine.
    Right. strength SM, durability superman, and now speed also superman. WW has been shown faster than speeding bullets before.That panel has no excuse. And a normal bullert being potentially lethal to WW is stupid. When she takes far stronger things all the time.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Then how come WW has been shoen faster than speeding bullets before?
    Not saying she hasn’t before. It just doesn’t bother me to the degree that the punch stuff does.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Not saying she hasn’t before. It just doesn’t bother me to the degree that the punch stuff does.
    Slower than a bullet. Because she is no superman. Sigh. What a nerfing. It bothers me a lot.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    A whole page of WW's daughter actually interacting with Diana and her supporting cast with no mention of Superman or Batman. What an outrageous concept!
    King should definitely pull back on S/B interaction in the backups now. Feature her with other people and Amazons. I feel like she's be besties with Artemis

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really enjoyed what he was doing… up until the punch. Having each strike their mothers to the point of knocking them down felt a step too far. Shove them, scream at them, threaten to get someone else to shoot them instead, all of that would have felt more true. But I strongly disagree with the people elsewhere saying Hippolyta and Diana would never fight or that Diana would be a perfect mother without flaws, those arguments hold no water for me.
    Yeah, the main reason their relationship means so much to me is because it's NOT perfect. Hippolyta can be overbearing and difficult and she projects onto Diana all the time, and they're both strong-willed and sensitive to a fault. One of my favorite Hippolyta/Diana moments ever is the scene from Phil Jimenez's run where they're shouting at each other in a restaurant so intensely that the waiter has to tell them they're disturbing the other patrons and they're both humiliated.

But all of us have gotten into dumb arguments with our mother or felt like she was being overbearing or intrusive. Every mother of a daughter has projected onto her, done too much, and let her anxieties get in the way. It's real, it's where the core humanity lives, and it's the litmus test for all WW writers - when Diana and Hippolyta's relationship works, you know the whole story is coming from the heart.

That's what upsets me so much about this scene. There's no humanity in punching your mother, especially when her "sin" is caring too much. Only a cruel, bitter person could find themselves in it. And that's why it made me reconsider the whole run. I don't think Tom King is cruel or bitter - I just think unlike Mr. Miracle, which I loved, he hasn't approached this book with any honesty or authenticity. Sampere is a master and the visual storytelling and form of the book are excellent (though it only works on an issue-by-issue level - taken as a whole, it's utterly incompetent), but other than the one story with Diana and the dying boy, the writing has been soulless.

On further reflection...I think the closest thing he has to a connection point is the idea of her being constantly underestimated and having a huge chip on her shoulder (she punches Hippolyta because she's so frustrated that she's underestimating her) because that's how he feels about the IP on a meta level. It lacks humanity because everything is thematically wrapped around her corporate identity. It's why he brings in Batman and Superman so much.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, didn't love this. Doesn't have a patch on Year One, and I imagine if we ever get around to the other Historia issues, it won't have a patch on those either.
    Reread Historia recently and I think that's another reason why this run spontaneously lost its hold on me. That book is a masterclass in how to tell a story that's epic, dark, subversive, and thematically dense but still bursting at the seams with heart.

It's everything King clearly wants to do with this book but will never pull off because he can't find himself anywhere in it.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 01-31-2024 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really enjoyed what he was doing… up until the punch. Having each strike their mothers to the point of knocking them down felt a step too far. Shove them, scream at them, threaten to get someone else to shoot them instead, all of that would have felt more true. But I strongly disagree with the people elsewhere saying Hippolyta and Diana would never fight or that Diana would be a perfect mother without flaws, those arguments hold no water for me.
    I don't think people expect perfection but outwardly lashing out or getting physical feels really out-of-character for their relationship and especially for Diana's character.

It's like people don't like Diana having a positive and supportive parental figure.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Reread Historia recently and I think that's another reason why this run spontaneously lost its hold on me. That book is a masterclass in how to tell a story that's epic, dark, subversive, and thematically dense but still bursting at the seams with heart.

It's everything King clearly wants to do with this book but will never pull off because he can't find himself anywhere in it.
    Eh both books are so substantially different I don't really see much to warrant comparison.

Like everyone else this makes no sense even if she isn't the Daughter OF Zeus anymore Diana still should be blessed w the Powers of the Gods and if i'm not mistakin Speed and Flight Powers are a Gift from Hermes so she should be able to outrun a bullet.DO BETTER Mr King.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    King should definitely pull back on S/B interaction in the backups now. Feature her with other people and Amazons. I feel like she's be besties with Artemis
    I doubt he would do that.

His main motivation for writing Wonder Woman was to give her a daughter so he can write about Supersons being older brothers. This whole thing seems like an excuse for his Supersons story.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    I doubt he would do that.

His main motivation for writing Wonder Woman was to give her a daughter so he can write about Supersons being older brothers. This whole thing seems like an excuse for his Supersons story.
    He just made a comic where WW is said to be slower than bullets. The nerfing can't stop it seems. This man already destroyed any tiny bit of hope i could have had about the new run. Too bad that apparently, we will have him around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Like everyone else this makes no sense even if she isn't the Daughter OF Zeus anymore Diana still should be blessed w the Powers of the Gods and if i'm not mistakin Speed and Flight Powers are a Gift from Hermes so she should be able to outrun a bullet.DO BETTER Mr King.
    Ironically WW as a demi-goddess actually has a logical reason to NOt have super-speed.

But that's another angle... if divinely empowered.... Will any of Diana's powers be inherited by a child of hers? As a demi-goddess it's obvious, it's literally in her blood. But if it's NOT?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    He just made a comic where WW is said to be slower than bullets. The nerfing can't stop it seems. This man already destroyed any tiny bit of hope i could have had about the new run. Too bad that apparently, we will have him around for a long time.
    Just to be clear I do think he means it to be for canon Wonder Woman also. But the Wonder Woman he had say she couldn't outrun bullets was a future alternate universe Diana which we know will be changed in future issues. for all we know she might have lost her godly given gifts and only have standard Amazon powers. All of this is unlikely, but it still isn't canon Wonder Woman that said it.