Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I wonder if people feel the same way about Siggy…are Siggy’s brown hair and brown eyes not “aesthetically pleasing“ either, would you still say that about Lizzie and Hal Jordan if they were arab or hispanic
    You are trying EXTRA hard to imply that anyone who doesn't like brown hair on Lizzie is racist. Nah. It just doesn't look good on Lizzie (and often, in general on the comic book page)--perhaps because of her style of hair, perhaps because of the failure to make the color more dynamic--especially in comparison to the other colors she's wearing, which, in my opinion, clash but don't complement.

Brown hair, however, looks AMAZING on Vixen on the page. Because the colorists gave it dimension and it complements the color palette of her uniform.

Reiterating that I'm talking about hair NOT skin.

Last edited by HotBoy; 06-06-2023 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    There were many blonde women on Lost (and Kate was more striking than all of them)

There were many blonde women on Friday Night Lights (and minka kelly is more striking than all of them)

Elizabeth Hurley has been in plenty of movies with blonde women

This conversation is all kinds of unnaturally normative, I don't ever want Wonder Woman to be normative
    My point is on "The Big Bang Theory" there are two blondes who are seen as knockouts and a brown haired girl who's seen as staid and socially awkward.

On "Friends" Phoebe is blonde, Monica's hair is almost black and Rachel who should have brown hair goes to great lengths not to. As the seasons progress she has so many bells and whistles and highlights, her hair is more dark blonde than the brown it would be otherwise. Rachel is anything but a Vanessa like Lizzie and that's because brown hair has a mousy connotation.

RACHEL.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    My point is on "The Big Bang Theory" there are two blondes who are seen as knockouts and a brown haired girl who's seen as staid and socially awkward.

On "Friends" Phoebe is blonde, Monica's hair is almost black and Rachel who should have brown hair goes to great lengths not to. As the seasons progress she has so many bells and whistles and highlights, her hair is more dark blonde than the brown it would be otherwise. Rachel is anything but a Vanessa like Lizzie and that's because brown hair has a mousy connotation.

RACHEL.jpg
    I think brown hair, in real life, is really, really nice. Black hair is the only color I like more. But I feel like if you're rendering it in comic books or animation, you have to ensure that it remains dynamic and doesn't fall flat.

RACHEL.jpg
    Why is Rachel Green proof that the rulesbook you guys are using for what hair colors a character should and shouldn't have?

Why are you focusing in on this one tv show and ignoring the hundreds of other examples I could give and the ones I already gave you?

Why are you guys pushing such an obtuse set of rules for a character, specially in the world of Wonder Woman.

How is Betty White's life in Hollywood in the 50s a good example for beauty standards of today? And why are you trying to close those beauty standards, instead of expanding them?

Color theory is fake. It means literally nothing unless people insist on pushing it. If everybody insists that 7 is an ugly number, then 7 will be an ugly number, but it isn't, it's literally just a number. Brown hair is brown hair, and these theories aren't factual, nor are they useful for the world I wanna live in.

I'm this close to putting into effect "Godwin's law"

It's not that serious, I'm only saying she looks mousy in comparison to Wonder Woman and she shouldn't. She could be a Kitty Pryde personality wise and win me over, but we're going by looks alone here.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Wow a war over brown hair....

And so many examples but no charlies angels?

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    You are trying EXTRA hard to imply that anyone who doesn't like brown hair on Lizzie is racist. Nah. It just doesn't look good on Lizzie (and often, in general on the comic book page)--perhaps because of her style of hair, perhaps because of the failure to make the color more dynamic--especially in comparison to the other colors she's wearing, which, in my opinion, clash but don't complement.

Brown hair, however, looks AMAZING on Vixen on the page. Because the colorists gave it dimension and it complements the color palette of her uniform.

Reiterating that I'm talking about hair NOT skin.
    Your words, not mine. I wouldn’t go as far as to call it “racism” but fussing about somebody’s eye colour to the point that Gal having brown eyes was a deal breaker for some people on this forum is definitely not very...up to “progressive” standards, lets put it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wow a war over brown hair....

And so many examples but no charlies angels?
    lol I was going to use "Charlie's Angels" and considered "Petticoat Junction" but thought they'd be too dated. lol

Fantastic Member

Your words, not mine. I wouldn’t go as far as to call it “racism” but fussing about somebody’s eye colour to the point that Gal having brown eyes was a deal breaker for some people on this forum is definitely not very...up to “progressive” standards, lets put it that way
    We agree on one thing: there is some simmering racism on these boards. And there has been for YEARS. I always find bigotry coming from fans of Wonder Woman to be the biggest head scratcher in the world.

The cognitive dissonance be buggin' me out. For real.

I can only speak for myself, but Gal's eyes and the kindness they conveyed as WW cemented it for me: Wonder Woman is a brown-eyed amazon, and I don't care how many decades of comic book lore tell me otherwise. I love me some Lynda Carter, of course, and her blue-eyed beauty will always be my intro to live-action DIana, but my forever Wonder Woman headcanon speaks in non-American accented English and has brown eyes (thanks to Gal), and has a darker skin tone (thanks to the second incarnation of Superhero Girls).

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    We agree on one thing: there is some simmering racism on these boards. And there has been for YEARS. I always find bigotry coming from fans of Wonder Woman to be the biggest head scratcher in the world.

The cognitive dissonance be buggin' me out. For real.
    It always bugged me for the same reason. Being racist/colorist/xenophobic/LGBTQ-phobic, et al, (all things I have seen expressed in various WW forums across the net) AND a fan of Wonder Woman is perplexing to me.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 06-07-2023 at 01:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but Gal's eyes and the kindness they conveyed as WW cemented it for me: Wonder Woman is a brown-eyed amazon, and I don't care how many decades of comic book lore tell me otherwise. I love me some Lynda Carter, of course, and her blue-eyed beauty will always be my intro to live-action DIana, but my forever Wonder Woman headcanon speaks in non-American accented English and has brown eyes (thanks to Gal), and has a darker skin tone (thanks to the second incarnation of Superhero Girls).

It always bugged me for the same reason. Being racist/colorist/xenophobic/LGBTQ-phobic, et al, (all things I have seen expressed in various WW forums across the net) AND a fan of Wonder Woman is perplexing to me.
    Its a surprising conundrum with comics.

Like a lot of these characters are pretty liberal for the most part, yet there's still a bunch conservatives that are somehow surprised whenever they do a storyline against racism or something. Its very dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Its a surprising conundrum with comics.

Like a lot of these characters are pretty liberal for the most part, yet there's still a bunch conservatives that are somehow surprised whenever they do a storyline against racism or something. Its very dumb.
    Can I be real here?

Having not read a single word I dread the upcoming run and fear a repeat of Azzarello. This is Warner Brothers Discovery we're talking about, the same people that nixed the Batgirl movie, WW 3 and all but destroyed CNN in an effort to make it more "balanced". Trump's softball town hall filled with his supporters was egregious enough, but the real kicker is the horrible decision to rebrand HBO Max, lose the HBO part everyone had come to respect, remove much of the animated content in favor of Discovery reality shows and change it's regal purple to a far more common place blue. (We're back to colors again.lol)

These people are Not our friends, none of their decisions have been good ones, and I'm skeptical of what's to come.

That's why I'm being too hard on Lizzie (how I hate that name, it only reminds me of Lizzie Borden) and some would say nitpicking. I fear she's a Trojan horse that will forever alter the Wonderverse.

Lizzie Borden took an ax
    And gave her mother forty whacks,
    And when she saw what she had done,
    She gave her father forty-one

Let's not forget the last time DC stole one of Greg Rucka's ideas and we got Amazons Attack.

The name is truly terrible, way worse than the hair (which isn't great either). I like most of the things King is saying about the run, but Lizzie is a huge red flag.

Fantastic Member

Can I be real here?

Having not read a single word I dread the upcoming run and fear a repeat of Azzarello. This is Warner Brothers Discovery we're talking about, the same people that nixed the Batgirl movie, WW 3 and all but destroyed CNN in an effort to make it more "balanced". Trump's softball town hall filled with his supporters was egregious enough, but the real kicker is the horrible decision to rebrand HBO Max, lose the HBO part everyone had come to respect, remove much of the animated content in favor of Discovery reality shows and change it's regal purple to a far more common place blue. (We're back to colors again.lol)

These people are Not our friends, none of their decisions have been good ones, and I'm skeptical of what's to come.

That's why I'm being too hard on Lizzie (how I hate that name, it only reminds me of Lizzie Borden) and some would say nitpicking. I fear she's a Trojan horse that will forever alter the Wonderverse.

Lizzie Borden took an ax
    And gave her mother forty whacks,
    And when she saw what she had done,
    She gave her father forty-one

Let's not forget the last time DC stole one of Greg Rucka's ideas and we got Amazons Attack.
    I understand your fears and I can't even say that they are unfounded given DC/WB's track record with Wonder Woman. But I think it'll be okay.

Creating new characters is basically a way for creators to make a little perpetual income. For example, John Byrne created the Cassie/Wonder Girl with the intention of getting paid (not a lot, but a little something) every time she appears in a comic. I bet it's the same with Lizzie/Trinity. I don't think she's a threat. Wonder Woman merchandising is too lucrative for that.

We'll know more in a few months. Until then, it does us no good to worry or speculate. #801 will tell us everything we need to know.

I share the same fears with ya'll. There are just too many disingenuous 'critics' out there that have never cared about these characters stirring up crap for easy clicks and cash.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor