Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm amused to remember the Future State Wonder Woman issue had Diana as borderline immortal, being completely unchanged after thousands of years while Superman the only other survivor has very much aged into a very old man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No she looked like Steve and her grandmother/namesake Hippolyta, so her hair color wasn't out of the clear blue sky like Lizzie's.
    Half true. Golden Age Hippolyta was a brunette, and she was Lyta's grandmother on Earth 2. Silver Age/Earth 1 Hippolyta was the blonde and had no grandchildren (that we know of) . Not sure why the hair color changed -- especially since Aphrodite was a blonde and whenever she showed up -- looked just like Hippolyta.

You're lucky I spared you the pic of Kathy Hilton, Paris and Nikki. lol
    Your mercy will not be forgotten.

Don't have an opinion on Trinity's looks. I'm glad she's not a copy of Diana but beyond that? We don't know who the father is, or if she even has a father. Hard to tell where she gets her looks from, or what her visual tells us (or not) about her.

As for kids looking like their parents....everyone used to say my son looks just like me. But he's my step-son. He actually looks like his mom and the resemblance has only grown with time, but when he was little, everyone thought I was his biodad. So I don't get too hung up on this stuff. Some kids look like either/both of their parents, some kids don't.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Seriously, what’s the point of having kids who aren’t exact replicas of ourselves…Imagine the disappointment of having a brown eyed child! It shows Diana’s “radical empathy” that she chose to keep it

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Half true. Golden Age Hippolyta was a brunette, and she was Lyta's grandmother on Earth 2. Silver Age/Earth 1 Hippolyta was the blonde and had no grandchildren (that we know of) . Not sure why the hair color changed -- especially since Aphrodite was a blonde and whenever she showed up -- looked just like Hippolyta.
    You're right, I'd never seen this before.

FURY 76.jpg

FURY 77.jpg

Hippolyta went blonde during the Kanigher era supposedly to soften her, because Wertham said the book had lesbian undertones. It makes sense that Earth 2 Hippolyta didn't make the change since she was the original.

They differentiated Aphrodite by giving her a giant heart shaped bouffant and hearts everywhere, while Hippolyta never saw a piece of jewelry she didn't like.

WW APRODITE 254p1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Seriously, what’s the point of having kids who aren’t exact replicas of ourselves…Imagine the disappointment of having a brown eyed child! It shows Diana’s “radical empathy” that she chose to keep it
    If Lizzie gets her brown hair and eyes from Siggy that would be monumental and amazing!

Otherwise the Prince bloodline has black or blonde hair and she's out of place like a redheaded stepchild.

Kanigher: ****, we can't let people think Wonder Woman characters are gay so let's make Hippolyta blonde and also make Aphrodite blonde. I'm sure no one will read too much into it.

There is probably a out of continuity Black Label story waiting to be told about this. Like Hippolyta almost dying and Aphrodite using her powers to revive her but as a side effect, Hippolyta is now blonde. With lots of sapphic undertones.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

If Lizzie gets her brown hair and eyes from Siggy that would be monumental and amazing!

Otherwise the Prince bloodline has black or blonde hair and she's out of place like a redheaded stepchild.
    The “Prince bloodline” is literally just Wonder Woman and Hippolyta who, up until recently, were not even related by blood. Diana was formed from a lump of clay, her black hair and blue eyes, which are obviously of extreme importance to you, were not genetically inherited from her mother

Even if they were, Diana could still very believably have a daughter with brown hair since we inherit half of our DNA from our father and we don’t know who Lizzie’s father is (or whether she has a father)

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    The “Prince bloodline” is literally just Wonder Woman and Hippolyta who, up until recently, were not even related by blood. Diana was formed from a lump of clay, her black hair and blue eyes, which are obviously of extreme importance to you, were not genetically inherited from her mother

Even if they were, Diana could still very believably have a daughter with brown hair since we inherit half of our DNA from our father and we don’t know who Lizzie’s father is (or whether she has a father)
    It's striking, that's why Clark, Bruce and Diana all have black hair and blue eyes.

I was watching "Auntie Mame" yesterday and in it Rosalind Russell changes her hair color and home decor frequently to mark the passage of time. When she goes back to brown to try to look conservative for a meeting with Patrick's prospective new in-laws she casually mentions how boring it is.

Bette Davis told a story about when she first came to Hollywood she was called "the little brown wren" because she was thought of as boring and plain. Hair and make-up at Warner Brothers took great pains to change this and made her platinum blonde instead. Knowing this would limit the kinds of parts she could play, Bette Davis quietly changed it back to ash blonde against the studio's wishes.

Right or wrong hair color has different connotations that I personally didn't come up with and brown hair is seen as basic. It's the starting point before the metamorphosis of highlights and dye jobs. That's not to say stars like Natalie Wood or Natalie Portman aren't beautiful, but they're not seen as striking as a Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor. Those are the breaks, if hair color is "of extreme importance" to me, it's only because that's the way it is in popular culture.

I'm not a villain because I want the daughter of Wonder Woman to be as visually commanding as she is.

Fantastic Member

It's striking, that's why Clark, Bruce and Diana all have black hair and blue eyes.

I was watching "Auntie Mame" yesterday and in it Rosalind Russell changes her hair color and home decor frequently to mark the passage of time. When she goes back to brown to try to look conservative for a meeting with Patrick's prospective new in-laws she casually mentions how boring it is.

Bette Davis told a story about when she first came to Hollywood she was called "the little brown wren" because she was thought of as boring and plain. Hair and make-up at Warner Brothers took great pains to change this and made her platinum blonde instead. Knowing this would limit the kinds of parts she could play, Bette Davis quietly changed it back to ash blonde against the studio's wishes.

Right or wrong hair color has different connotations that I personally didn't come up with and brown hair is seen as basic. It's the starting point before the metamorphosis of highlights and dye jobs. That's not to say stars like Natalie Wood or Natalie Portman aren't beautiful, but they're not seen as striking as a Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor. Those are the breaks, if hair color is "of extreme importance" to me, it's only because that's the way it is in popular culture.

I'm not a villain because I want the daughter of Wonder Woman to be as visually commanding as she is.
    I must say that brown hair "dies" on the page artistically. Particularly when alongside other, more vibrant colors. Maybe if they styled her hair differently, I'd find it more aesthetically pleasing. But even on Hal Jordan, something about it seems bland. I supposed that's why they eventually added those white streaks to his hair.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 06-04-2023 at 07:06 AM.

Black hair and blue eyes are a lot less striking when so many characters have them.

Wasn't the lack of brown haired characters originally a coloring/printing issue? It was harder and more expensive to do back in the four-color days than straight black?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wasn't the lack of brown haired characters originally a coloring/printing issue? It was harder and more expensive to do back in the four-color days than straight black?
    Wouldn't surprise me. Love and Rockets is in black and white: its Palomar stories has a Central American cast, but they're all "white" instead of in different shades of grey or black.

Black and white page.

Color covers

EDIT: Looked it up. Yup, it was costs, Ascended.

Elliot S Maggin: In the early days of comics - dribbling into the middle days of comics when I was more active in the industry - the quality of paper was low and the color palette available was limited. In fact, until the late Seventies, comic book colorists were pretty much making coloring suggestions rather than doing any actual coloring.

Color was transferred from a colorist's work by transcribers with wide interpretive latitude, through a bizarre technical process in which these transcribers would actually color four versions of the same page - only in red. That is, one version of the page would have red colored into all the shapes where the colorist suggested a color that included blue. Another would be a page colored red wherever a color containing yellow appeared. And so forth. These pages were photostated successively, with the eventual product coming out in approximately the pattern the colorist suggested. This was never very effective, and severely limited the colors available. And then the low cost pulp stock invariably bled colors and lines.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-04-2023 at 10:10 AM.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Black hair and blue eyes are a lot less striking when so many characters have them.
    Case in point:

Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-04-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I must say that brown hair "dies" on the page artistically. Particularly when alongside other, more vibrant colors. Maybe if they styled her hair differently, I'd find it more aesthetically pleasing. But even on Hal Jordan, something about it seems bland. I supposed that's why they eventually added those white streaks to his hair.
    The same argument’s been used against black actors in Hollywood, "it’s just that dark skin 'dies on the screen artistically', hence preference is given to light-skinned black women like Zendaya, that's all". The darker shades of black are challenging for cinematographers, as well as being less “aesthetically pleasing” to a certain crowd e.g China
    But hey, Lupita could always try adding a white streak to her hair eheh