Astonishing Member

Default Vader, why the love?

My favorite character in all of Star Wars-dom is Darth Vader. I must be not alone because in the entire history (decades long now) of Star Wars related comics the only consistent selling title besides the main one has been Darth Vader comics. Is it the look? It is iconic but so is Boba Fetts. I know the original three movies are historically important but you don't see, Luke, Leia, Han or Chewie titles consistently being published. It's not a bad guy thing because there aren't Palpy or Boba Fett consistent selling books. The Jedi have a mystique, I love Tales of the Jedi stories but they don't sell like Vader books do. It isn't the prequels either because while I love the animated stuff and the prequels, you don't see any Anakin books (I know Anakin is Darth) out there either (stories/books solely about his time pre Darth. That being said could it just the combination of the all time greatest villain's theme music by John Williams, the Imperial March combined with what maybe the most iconic/powerful voice of like 3 generations James Earl Jones. I am just curious as to what you guys think the Vader mystique is.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think it's his look to be honest, and it's the same with Fett. Until Marvel took the rights back and pretty much ran with a Vader ongoing there were probably just as many Boba Fett mini-series put out by Dark Horse as there were Vader ones.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I really loved him in the OT. He was just this overwhelming force of nature that did what it took to get the job done. When you saw Vader you knew crap was going down. Not only the Rebels were scared of him but so was his own side (Other than Takin. Tarkin dont take crap from anyone!)

The look was iconic and he had a bad ass Super Star Destroyer!

Vader remains to this day Da Man. As long as I dont let the Prequels ruin him.

But when I look at it I have other Imperial Commanders I like more. But there is no better single villain in the Star Wars Universe.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-12-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The voice and breathing certainly left an impression.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth