Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dan Watters & Eddy Barrows On Doomsday Special #1

The special issue comes from the creative team of Dan Watters and Eddy Barrows, with covers from Björn Barends, Puppeteer Lee, Lucio Parrillo, Clayton Crain, and classic Superman: Man of Steel artist Jon Bogdanove

DC’s official description of the issue reads, “It is a creature beyond reason—and the only force in the universe strong enough to kill Superman. It’s Doomsday, the living embodiment of death, destruction, and evolution! In the wake of Dark Crisis and Lazarus Planet, King Doomsday now sits on a throne of skulls across a river of blood, holding court over the demons that swarm in the depths of Hell...and he may have just found a way back to the land of the living. It’s now up to Supergirl and Martian Manhunter to drive the beast back and see that he never again returns to our earthly plane—even if they must die to do it! Plus: the return of Bloodwynd, the debut of the Doomhounds, and a clue to the next big Superman event!
    https://www.thepopverse.com/doomsday...social_sharing

Excited to have Watters back in Superman’s corner!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I hate Doomsday but the solicit sounds somehow interesting, lol.

Fall's Superman event feat. Doomsday incoming?

Dan Watters on Doomsday? King Doomsday? Bloodwynd!?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well I'm pretty damn shocked that it sounds like they've put so much thought into doing Doomsday. Very interesting premise, very strong creative team, and some surprising guest stars that both make a huge amount of sense and break him out of the rut.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If anyone can get me to give a damn about Doomsday, high probability it will be Watters and PKJ. When my eyes first hit “Dan” I groaned out loud at Jurgens coming back to do another nostalgia one shot, but then I saw “Watters” and my whole attitude changed
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I assume that MM's short story in one of those Lazarus anthologies is connected to this? Would be cool if Watters also managed to connect those MM backups from Action to this as well so that they wouldn't feel so out of place.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oh so the MM Lazarus Planet story was the start of something, thats cool

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Watters… awesome!

This kinda has Spawn vibes too.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

the comic seemed interesting until I saw that Superman does not paint anything in the comic. I hope this ends with a future Superman vs Doomsday.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Watters… awesome!

This kinda has Spawn vibes too.
    I'm impressed that Watters consistently gets such praise. Tbh I've only really read some Shadow stuff he did but I know he was quite involved in Future State.

And yeah. It's surprising that "unholy baby" Doomsday has never really been associated with this territory. I guess being an alien sort of got in the way
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I assume that MM's short story in one of those Lazarus anthologies is connected to this? Would be cool if Watters also managed to connect those MM backups from Action to this as well so that they wouldn't feel so out of place.
    Watters says it follows from that Lazarus Planet one shot but nothing else is required to understand the Doomsday Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm impressed that Watters consistently gets such praise. Tbh I've only really read some Shadow stuff he did but I know he was quite involved in Future State.

And yeah. It's surprising that "unholy baby" Doomsday has never really been associated with this territory. I guess being an alien sort of got in the way
    All of his Superman stuff (Red & Blue, Future State) has been good. He did another one shot for PKJ’s The Last God called The Lost Children if I remember right and it was a great horror story. His Lucifer series was good too, and while I haven’t read his indie work, it got lots of praise from what I’ve seen. He’s an up and comer who just hasn’t gotten that breakout hit yet. Hope that Loki series gives him a boost in awareness and that DC finally gives him a proper mini or ongoing.

Extraordinary Member

Hopefully this leads to Watters on an ongoing.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I don't know why, but the whole King Doomsday made me think about Venom and the whole King in Black. I never read the book, but it made think about it. Anyways, I'm all eh on this. Creative teams have been throwing around Doomsday gimmicks for years now and nothing really ever stuck, at least this sounds interesting.

Also, with the whole Doomsday is the only force strong enough to kill Superman, does that mean Clark is stronger than Jon or are they equals?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

My first intro to Watters was Coffin Bound (Image) that he did with Dani on art. Amazing book.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Watters wrote the recent Azreal mini, which was one of the best things DC had on the stands. I'm down for this on his name alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Also, with the whole Doomsday is the only force strong enough to kill Superman, does that mean Clark is stronger than Jon or are they equals?
    Well.....

The comics have teased and hinted, basically from the very start, that Jon could potentially be stronger. Couple stories may have tried to sell the idea that he already is. And they've teased the idea that he has powers Clark doesn't for nearly as long. Right now they're pushing the idea that Jon can use the old electric powers from the 90's on top of his regular Kryptonian powerset.

But functionally speaking, Clark is always the strongest. Regardless of what DC says in their attempts to push the flavor of the week, nobody is ever actually allowed to surpass Superman when it comes to raw strength. So I figure Jon is in the same weight class as the other heavy hitters like Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and Power Girl; technically on the same level as Clark, but in actuality just a little below him.

And right now, post-Warworld, Clark is jacked up on some exotic radiation that's made him more powerful than ever, so presumably nobody comes close to equaling him (except the villains he's currently fighting, who conveniently happened to get powered up at the same time ).

DC will often say that Doomsday alone is strong enough to kill Superman, but that's just marketing. Plenty of characters out there who are strong enough to do that. DC just likes to remind us of that one story where Doomsday mattered.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.