Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Do you think Krakoa Island is helping the mutants better or worse?

Ever since mutants have their own land on Krakoa island, some of the mutants are grateful, and some turn against it until they think of themselves as a god because of this nation Krakoa. Some have turned to the dark path in order to take advantage of this island for personal agenda purposes.

Which mutants do you think are getting better? Which mutants have turned villain? Which mutants is on the moral grey area?

I think the only mutant who has "worsened" is Beast. Morally grey characters like Emma and villains mostly stayed what they are. Some villains got to play heroes. But apart from Beast I don't see anyone becoming bad because of Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think the only mutant who has "worsened" is Beast. Morally grey characters like Emma and villains mostly stayed what they are. Some villains got to play heroes. But apart from Beast I don't see anyone becoming bad because of Krakoa.
    There's also Nature Girl, but she turned bad on her own; Krakoa just failed to stop her, and the island itself let her walk.

But yeah. Mutants are safer on the island, innocent lives have been resurrected, the depowered have their powers again, andsome villains have been able to turn their lives around. A few bad eggs aren nothing compared to hpw much Krakoa has helped mutants as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Ever since mutants have their own land on Krakoa island, some of the mutants are grateful, and some turn against it until they think of themselves as a god because of this nation Krakoa. Some have turned to the dark path in order to take advantage of this island for personal agenda purposes.

Which mutants do you think are getting better? Which mutants have turned villain? Which mutants is on the moral grey area?
    Yes. There were less than 98 mutants before and now there are a lot more. So at the very least it saved mutants kind from modern extinction.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Other than a few nebulous sus things, I think Krakoa the island is pretty innocuous.

It's other factors on the island that I think are a bigger concern when it comes to Krakoa

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I see Krakoa as a kind of Utopia II, though bigger and with more feature.

Come to think of it. Whatever happened to the island of Utopia? As far as I know it is still there.

Is it just deserted and empty nowadays?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    There's also Nature Girl, but she turned bad on her own; Krakoa just failed to stop her, and the island itself let her walk.

But yeah. Mutants are safer on the island, innocent lives have been resurrected, the depowered have their powers again, andsome villains have been able to turn their lives around. A few bad eggs aren nothing compared to hpw much Krakoa has helped mutants as a whole.
    Not entirely on her own. Curse warped her, although that must have broken something in Nature Girl because she didn't go back to herself when Curse took the curse back.

Well we got to see a few mutants that hadn’t been seen in a long time. Wish they would show more.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I still don't trust Krakoa. The Krakoa I remember from Giant Size wanted to EAT mutants. (And was thrown into space, Hickman never addressed this, and his Arrako/Okkara backstory doesn't line up with Krakoa's nuclear age origin either...)
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I still don't trust Krakoa. The Krakoa I remember from Giant Size wanted to EAT mutants. (And was thrown into space, Hickman never addressed this, and his Arrako/Okkara backstory doesn't line up with Krakoa's nuclear age origin either...)
    We never get to hear what *Krakoa* thinks about anything, only what Doug *says* he thinks, and not even telepaths seem to be able to confirm that Krakoa wants what Doug is saying when he 'speaks for Krakoa.'

OTOH, during X of Swords, IIRC, Doug says that Krakoa is opposed to a bunch of mutants going to fight in Otherland, because *he doesn't want them to leave.* Krakoa seems to have a vested interest in all these yummy mutants whom he's 'not gonna eat, just gonna taste!' going off-island and taking their yummy-in-his-tummy away. Given how dangerous it was for Krakoa to attempt to kill the X-Men all those years ago, getting launched into space for his efforts, this new solution, particularly getting to 'feed' lightly off of thousands and thousands of mutants *constantly,* instead of *maybe* getting to lure in and kill a few every decade or century, at the risk of it's life, probably seems like a huge upgrade!

On the other, other hand, it would seem that Krakoa is supposed to get to feed even more off of anyone consigned to the Pit, and yet he seems quite willing to let people in the Pit skate free, so he's not 100% guided by hunger and self-interest. If he was all about the hunger, he'd argue for *more* people to get thrown into the Pit, and for them *never* to come out.

And I've long wondered what Arakko feeds on. I doubt very, very much that the Arakki have been letting Arakko lightly feed off of their psychic potential for centuries, when they could just straight up feed her a couple of mutants every year. Arakko is very big on killing folk that don't play well with others, or fail challenges, or whatever. They kill each other at the drop of a hat. I am absolutely sure that they'd just feed Arakko a couple of lawbreakers / troublemakers / psychopaths every year, in their own version of 'throw them into the Pit!,' and that Arakko and Krakoa's unwillingness to merge back into a single entity might revolve around such fundamental differences that have grown between the two entities. (One eats people every year, and had done, *for centuries,* and this whole 'lightly feed on thousands of willing allies' thing might not fly with her.)

There's a whole story here, not yet told.

Who are you talking about specifically? Cause for the most part there has been no drastic change in most characters.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I mean Krakoa understands Doug Krakoa would know if Doug is lying

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    But how useful is the witness when the only one who can understand them is the one on trial?

Doug is Krakoa's friend, I doubt he would abuse its trust. And if he did, Krakoa could just open up and eat him. Krakoa itself seems to have some understanding of English, so it would probably know.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Plus, we've really only got Doug's say-so that Krakoa is truly sapient.

What if it's just sentient, like a dog, and is happily doing whatever Doug tells it to do, basking in A) a constant rush of psychic energy from *thousands* of mutants and no longer having to risk it's life to hunt and feed, and being in constant hunger, and B) having a friend and constant companion, perhaps for the first time in *forever.*

It would certainly explain why those telepaths, able to translate (and teach!) alien languages in literally seconds, can't read Krakoa's 'mind,' if it doesn't really have much of one, and has been more or less domesticated by Doug (who doesn't have to be an evil mastermind, any more than the average human dog owner is, Krakoa is certainly thriving more, and probably much happier, in this current era than it was before!).

Then again, if this was the case, Arakko as well would be sentient-not-sapient, and Redroot would share in this secret of Doug's, that these enormous floral entities are essentially giant friendly puppies that feed off of mutant energies...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-13-2023 at 10:47 AM.