Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mighty Member

I would love a back to serious Shocker story. Not, like, a Green Goblin level threat or anything, just a solid mid-level hey we need to beat this super villain story every now and then.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

He was great in “Unscheduled Stop” - one of my favourite Spidey stories - where he seemed like a legitimate threat.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Even White Rabbit and the Walrus? Some villains are just meant to be silly.
    Silly is fine. But in a world of super powers, magic, advanced tech, etc...let them be a real threat. Maybe even moreso because they are silly.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think Shocker could work well as a villainous parallel to Spider-Man, in that they're both incredibly intelligent and skilled, but constantly underestimated and looked down upon by many of their peers . . . at least until they cut loose and show why they shouldn't be underestimated.
    I dig the idea but I don’t really get how that works? Shocker is a really effective villain but everybody still kind of smirks and scoffs at him? Maybe he’s so good he gets away with a bunch of heists and hits that nobody ever pins to him..... Which I think would give him a more sinister vibe. It’s just more believable that one can be good and effective and never get the credit or kudos or credibility . I do like your idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    I dig the idea but I don’t really get how that works? Shocker is a really effective villain but everybody still kind of smirks and scoffs at him? Maybe he’s so good he gets away with a bunch of heists and hits that nobody ever pins to him..... Which I think would give him a more sinister vibe. It’s just more believable that one can be good and effective and never get the credit or kudos or credibility . I do like your idea though.
    I liked one person saying Shocker is Peter’s most relatable villain. He’s powerful and resourceful, but the guy just can not catch a break.

Astonishing Member

Shocker should invent a new neural type of blasters that cause people to give a jump scare type reaction or response

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I liked one person saying Shocker is Peter’s most relatable villain. He’s powerful and resourceful, but the guy just can not catch a break.
    I think if Shocker is supposed a relatable villain, he should have a better motive than ''He is a cartoon crime man!'' Why is he a criminal rather than anything else and why is this type of criminal? If he is supposed to be smart, why does he use the same smash-and-grab tactics that guys like Scorpion or Rhino use? What makes him a more intelligent criminal than Rhino or Scorpion?

I can see him as both, but he'd need to have that serious moment.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I think if Shocker is supposed a relatable villain, he should have a better motive than ''He is a cartoon crime man!'' Why is he a criminal rather than anything else and why is this type of criminal? If he is supposed to be smart, why does he use the same smash-and-grab tactics that guys like Scorpion or Rhino use? What makes him a more intelligent criminal than Rhino or Scorpion?
    In my head I thought up a whole story where we followed shocker and it shows how he has terrible luck but actually plans out things to avoid superheroes 90% of the time. It's just we dont' see those times because...he avoided the superheroes we follow. He's the sort of character who is ripe for exploration if someone wanted. Kinda like how Batman: TAS flipped the script on Mr. Freeze.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    In my head I thought up a whole story where we followed shocker and it shows how he has terrible luck but actually plans out things to avoid superheroes 90% of the time. It's just we dont' see those times because...he avoided the superheroes we follow. He's the sort of character who is ripe for exploration if someone wanted. Kinda like how Batman: TAS flipped the script on Mr. Freeze.
    If that were true, why would he still be committing crimes? Isn't his motive to get a ''big score'' and retire, if he succeeded as a criminal 90% of the time, why would he still be a criminal? The problem is he is supposed smart criminal, but his ultimate goal is a stupid one, he would likely blow throw his big score within 6 months if he ever got it because he has shown no actual skill at proper financial management. If you want to be set for life, you need continuous passive income streams, its why someone like Kingpin never seems to run out of money.

If you want Shocker to be a serious character, I think you need to expand the character and do something new with him or at least give him smarter crimes to commit. I think Shocker comes off as a comic relief character, because his motives and plans seem so underdeveloped they seem silly.