Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does anybody really write good event stories any more?
    Probably last event that I enjoyed was Forever Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherHerb View Post
    A lot of Josh Williamson antis I see. I think what's happening with Amanda Waller and her goals are going over people's heads, which shouldn't since it's all so very simple. In MY opinion, Waller is just sick and tired of the mess that the heroes make of things. I feel like she's finally at her breaking point with all the stuff that's been going on and sees no other way than to take them out. Waller even says the capes aren't making things better. (she is correct) She isn't thinking rationally and has been a bit villainous. I'm pretty sure that's obviously the point. Sounds like good storytelling to me or are folks pulling out their torches and pitchforks b/c people in tights aren't smiling and being overly optimistic?
    I enjoyed it because I like big interconnected universe story.

Also I liked Dark Crisis.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Probably last event that I enjoyed was Forever Evil.
    For me it was Empyre.
    A lot of Josh Williamson antis I see. I think what's happening with Amanda Waller and her goals are going over people's heads, which shouldn't since it's all so very simple. In MY opinion, Waller is just sick and tired of the mess that the heroes make of things. I feel like she's finally at her breaking point with all the stuff that's been going on and sees no other way than to take them out. Waller even says the capes aren't making things better. (she is correct) She isn't thinking rationally and has been a bit villainous. I'm pretty sure that's obviously the point. Sounds like good storytelling to me or are folks pulling out their torches and pitchforks b/c people in tights aren't smiling and being overly optimistic?
    People are probably still feeling the burn from the War for Earth-3 and how bad Waller was in that.

For me it was Empyre.

People are probably still feeling the burn from the War for Earth-3 and how bad Waller was in that.
    Yeah that was incredibly disappointing and disjointed.

But I would blame that on Williamson trying to use Waller again and hopefully ignoring that entire storyline.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So is Waller the focus since WB still has the great Viola Davis playing her?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So is Waller the focus since WB still has the great Viola Davis playing her?
    They've been building up to her in a Big Bad role for a while now, it feels like.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's just that it's a story we've seen already, heck it was pretty much what Dark Crisis turned into and it isn't interesting.
    What is interesting? Superman smiling and going on pulpy action adventures. Captain Marvel saving a family of space dinosaurs. Batman and Robin and Superman teaming up with Metamorpho to solve a murder mystery that turns into a smash em' up story about killer robots. Heck, even Peacemaker playing at being John Wick because a villain threatened his new dog was pretty good.

Villains killing heroes, or anti-hero teams who kill because it gets the job done? ::Yawn:: No thanks, "edgy" is just not doing it.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-18-2023 at 11:27 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's just that it's a story we've seen already, heck it was pretty much what Dark Crisis turned into and it isn't interesting.
    What is interesting? Superman smiling and going on pulpy action adventures. Captain Marvel saving a family of space dinosaurs. Batman and Robin and Superman teaming up with Metamorpho to solve a murder mystery that turns into a smash em' up story about killer robots. Heck, even Peacemaker playing at being John Wick because a villain threatened his new dog was pretty good.

Villains killing heroes, or anti-hero teams who kill because it gets the job done? Edgy is just not doing it.
    ^^^Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I lost all respect for Codename: Assassin when he killed Dubbilex and the original Newsboy Legion for Sam Lane.
    Well, he's an assassin...that's the gig. What I'm talking about is how he's been portrayed as a steely professional most of the time and here he's raging and hysterical, for no real good reason. There are certainly characters in that room for whom that kind of reaction would've been more in character and organic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Well, he's an assassin...that's the gig. What I'm talking about is how he's been portrayed as a steely professional most of the time and here he's raging and hysterical, for no real good reason. There are certainly characters in that room for whom that kind of reaction would've been more in character and organic.
    He might have just been fed up with shenanigans involving the Secret Society. They used to just be a team that worked in the shadows until Deathstroke took over, only to drag them into both Shadow War and Dark Crisis. Now in comes Waller demanding they play ball with her.
    Words to live by.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Does anybody really write good event stories any more?
    I mean, Grant Morrison aside, did they ever?

There are very few event stories that rank anywhere near my list of favourite superhero comics.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

Villains killing heroes, or anti-hero teams who kill because it gets the job done? ::Yawn:: No thanks, "edgy" is just not doing it.
    Quoted for truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'