Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Nevermind, this won't lead to a productive conversation. This series blows. Whatever
    Last edited by Vegan; 05-16-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yeah, you should only ever kill characters that you don’t care about.
    I think any character should be open to be killed. But to bill this as some huge shocking event that has some kind of meaning when we know she will just be back in a couple of months is pointless and cheap.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Especially since sins past was retconned
    This 100%.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I miss pre casam Ben
    We all do.

Wow......just....wow. Every time I think that this couldn't get worse and it does.

Like....what's the point? She literally had NOTHING to do with Spider-Man except 'Oh, she works here at Oscorp for some reason.'

I think I'm finally done with ASM. There are way too many actual GOOD marvel titles out there (Venom and Moon Knight come to mind) to waste on this drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im starting to think I am the only one that loved The Clone Saga and wasnt super enraged by Sins Past.
    I loved the characters introduced from the Clone Saga and I do think it was an interesting shake up. It just ran WAY too long.

And I REALLY didn't give a damn about Sins Past. I didn't love it, but I didn't wage a holy war or anything over it.

Astonishing Member

That's the problem. This character has barely appeared in ASM. They've exchanged a handful of words with Peter. There is no tie between the character and the villain of this story. We haven't seen anything about this character's home life or friends/family outside of the Dark Web mini, and that was a satellite. And this arc was sold as "What Did Peter Do" and the finally answering the mystery box about what happened between him and MJ - only to swerve into this out of the blue "shock" killing of a character that the story did nothing to make us care about. Any affection we feel for the character was earned by other, better writers and other, better stories.

It's the sheer mindlessness that gets me. How is this supposed to be affecting? Just kill off a character we only know and care from an earlier, beloved by most run?

That's why it makes no sense, seems cheap and cruel, and is absolutely totally out of left field.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I liked The Clone Saga as it got me into Spider-Man comic books as a kid plus Ben Reilly and Kaine Parker. TASM #400 as well. Really didn't like Sins Past though.
    I was there and I liked it too, a lot. I love Ben and making him Chasm is one of the many things I dislike about this run

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    That's the problem. This character has barely appeared in ASM. They've exchanged a handful of words with Peter. There is no tie between the character and the villain of this story. We haven't seen anything about this character's home life or friends/family outside of the Dark Web mini, and that was a satellite. And this arc was sold as "What Did Peter Do" and the finally answering the mystery box about what happened between him and MJ - only to swerve into this out of the blue "shock" killing of a character that the story did nothing to make us care about. Any affection we feel for the character was earned by other, better writers and other, better stories.

It's the sheer mindlessness that gets me. How is this supposed to be affecting? Just kill off a character we only know and care from an earlier, beloved by most run?

That's why it makes no sense, seems cheap and cruel, and is absolutely totally out of left field.
    I agree with all of this, but beyond all that, it's also "shared universe malpractice" - they have done nothing to let spoilers:
    Champions/Ms Marvel
    end of spoilers fans know that a character they follow is not just making random cameos in ASM, but is actually about to have a pretty critical story told in this book. That's just so dumb and silly. If they want to kill this character, fine*, go for it, but have the character appear more, appear prominently on covers, be in the solicits, have some sort of story arc, so that fans of the character know where to go to see the story!!

*It's pretty likely that this death is part of a larger character story to alter the character's origin/in-group. This is a foolish way to effectuate that change, but those future stories may be worthwhile.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Ultimate Member

The BONE of the issue is killing someone that has no links to your franchise.

That barely did anything in your book.

It would be one thing if it was Ganke, Judge or someone from the Spiderman family's large supporting cast getting killed.

Osborn offing one of Miles's friend under Peter's nose-might have a bigger reaction mainly from Miles.

But this? Especially if it's a ploy to make her mutant?

Astonishing Member

There's an "exclusive" sneak peak at ASM 26 at EW

https://ew.com/books/ms-marvel-kamal...-marvel-comic/

It has clear pictures of the pages, plus unlettered pages we haven't seen.

spoilers:
    For anyone hoping for more clarity on Paul and the kids, looks to me like they will barely appear; my guess is the last page of Paul hugging MJ is because he just caught up to her after taking the kids away in ASM 21. The pages we haven't seen are Kamala interviewing to be an intern, then random fight pages with MJ, Peter, Norman, Kamala and Rabin.
    end of spoilers

I really have to congratulate Marvel. This is one of the best examples of bait and switch I have ever seen.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Mighty Member

Honestly, if they killed Jonah, that would have been the single greatest thing they could have ever done.
    Just fridge the only Character I want to see be with Peter Parker.
    His one true love...

I find it odd that they choose spider man to be the vehicle through which they decided to go this route. After all the titles she’s had, and the direction she seems to be heading iN, I have to wonder if marvel is trying to make her more relevant in the marvel universe. She was marginalized as an inhuman; I could never really get into her character before, but now I think I’m going to have to pay closer attention to her.
    Last edited by protege; 05-16-2023 at 05:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

Way to totally miss my point, but that’s nothing new for you. I’m actually not invested in this character at all and would be fine if she never appeared in a Spidey book ever again. But it sucks for the following reasons:
    (1) there’s very little Muslim superhero representation in the MU and here we are “fridging” probably the most successful one yet (and she’s also Pakistani and being killed during Asian Heritage Month, so it’s a double whammy),
    (2) it’s cheap because Zeb Wells is a main writer on the ‘Marvels’ film and since Khan stars in that, the reasonable expectation would be she’ll be resurrected before it hits theaters… so it seems like a very cynical and self-important creative decision…
    (3) Khan is not a Spidey-family character. She has only appeared in a handful of recent issues (all by Wells) and to kill her off in a Spider-Man book is awkward and out of left field for Spidey fans and more than a bit insulting for Ms Marvel fans…. This would be like if MJ was killed in ‘Iron-Man’ (even worse, as she had a bigger presence in IM than Khan had in ASM). So there you go. Happy?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I find it odd that they choose spider man to be the vehicle through which they decided to go this route. After all the titles she’s had, and the direction she seems to be heading iN, I have to wonder if marvel is trying to make her more relevant in the marvel universe. She was marginalized as an inhuman; I could never really get into her character before, but now I think I m at have to pay closer attention to her.
    My theory, it's because Spider-Man sells no matter what, so Marvel wanted to kill her off to bring her back as a Mutant, but do that in an X-Men book, you run the risk of losing fans of that book.
    But you'll hate read Spider-Man, because you love Spider-Man and you want it to be good, but as long as the editorial has their hands in the pie, it will never be what you want in a comic.

I've said before, I don't think this was a Wells' idea, honestly, I think the pitch he came in with was the whole Chasm plot and the MJ/Paul plot was a way he could get to write this book.
    She'll be back by the end of the year. We get her death, a stupid "Fallen Friend" issue and then she'll get a "Ms Marvel: Rebirth" mini in November.
    He death is not an issue I have with it, all things considered, it's one of the more forgivable aspects on this death.
    The actual problem is that it comes off as both insulting and cynical. It's done purely for editorial means and they don't want to bring out an entire event just to kill her off. So doing it in Spider-Man makes the most sense.
    It's a means to an end, because that's what this fucking book has become. It's the book to dump every stupid idea that Marvel has got.

And the backlash already makes me think they were ready, and they just simply don't care. Obviously, Lowe will do his best to protect Wells, he is Wells' boss, I doubt Wells went into this book with the idea to kill Ms Marvel off, he was just told he should do it.
    That way, they can build up to #26, be like "will we kill Mary-Jane? Ohhhh?" and then it can be a popular teen minority that will just be brought back in a couple months.
    It's just cynical, but it's also not as bad as killing MJ, because it goes to show that they don't trust in their own BS.
    They know MJ is still popular so getting rid of her will probably cause a big enough backlash that it would probably lead to a change in editorial.
    So they would rather tease that there's a chance with Peter and MJ, even when they admit that the two will be together in the end.
    However, that ending would never come because comics last forever...

It's stupid and silly, but this is the response they want.
    It's getting praise from the worst People (EVS) so just let it hang.
    It'll be retconned by the end of the year so there's no point in getting angry or even question it.
    Just let it be, let it die and let it become a number cbr list of the worst Spider-Man stories in 10 years.