Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Power Fantasy ? Cyborg is treated to expendable for me to ever feel that. I can’t think of an animated adaptation of him not being mauled horrifically
    Justice League Action?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Justice League Action?
    Also the Lego movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Power Fantasy ? Cyborg is treated to expendable for me to ever feel that. I can’t think of an animated adaptation of him not being mauled horrifically
    While the animated ones have done that... they NEVER harped on it or his issues with Daddy.

They tend to present a Cyborg who is happy with who is and goes about his business and isn't getting hacked into or torn up by T'Challa's cousin.

That blogger barely talked about Victor and spent more time bashing the CEO of the company that was leading Detroit's gentrification.
    She still wasted page time talking about both as some worthless social commentary about the state of Detroit.

She might be better calling out the folks who got Detroit in that state along with the people who look like her that went along with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    She still wasted page time talking about both as some worthless social commentary about the state of Detroit.

She might be better calling out the folks who got Detroit in that state along with the people who look like her that went along with.
    The pages with the host was pretty much exposition done in an interesting way. It was presented from her point of view but it was not about her point of view. It was about the status of Cyborg and the Titans as well as the possible other players in the story. I would not be surprised if Estelle Greene ends up being more of a character than just this opinion show.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The pages with the host was pretty much exposition done in an interesting way. It was presented from her point of view but it was not about her point of view. It was about the status of Cyborg and the Titans as well as the possible other players in the story. I would not be surprised if Estelle Greene ends up being more of a character than just this opinion show.
    I like how you described Greene. I read the first issue the other day, and I could see her recurring in this series. Overall, I thought it was a promising start. I'm hoping we get a neat villain for Cyborg's personal canon, as well as a new love interest (because things don't seem like they will work out with Sarah Charles). I'm a little meh on the ending, because it seemed like this story was moving beyond the conflict between Victor and his father. That said, I did like Silas's robotic body.

Took a look at some of the broader conversation about Cyborg and I do agree with many of the concerns I've seen expressed about the character overall. I've always liked Cyborg (I was introduced to him in the Super Powers cartoon), but I can't say I've loved Cyborg. The closest I came to really digging his potential was in the Snyder Cut.

There's a lot unexplored with him, and I don't think they need to go back over his daddy issues repeatedly. I was fine with how he was depicted in Justice League Odyssey, where I don't recall any of that coming up. I'm leery about going this route with daddy issues again because the I Am Batman series went there not that long ago, and while familial conflict is part of drama, when you have a handful of Black characters, and there's a media narrative of bad Black fathers, I would rather DC decide to explore other aspects of Victor's life and personality instead, because I'm not interested in feeding that narrative.

I get that the conflict is an important part of who Cyborg is, has been, it's part of his origin. And I imagine that this miniseries is written to reintroduce the character, or introduce him to first time readers, so I do get why it's there. However, I hope it's not something that is dwelt on.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 05-25-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    The closest I came to really digging his potential was in the Snyder Cut.

There's a lot unexplored with him, and I don't think they need to go back over his daddy issues repeatedly. I was fine with how he was depicted in Justice League Odyssey, where I don't recall any of that coming up. I'm leery about going this route with daddy issues again because the I Am Batman series went there not that long ago, and while familial conflict is part of drama, when you have a handful of Black characters, and there's a media narrative of bad Black fathers, I would rather DC decide to explore other aspects of Victor's life and personality instead, because I'm not interested in feeding that narrative.

I get that the conflict is an important part of who Cyborg is, has been, it's part of his origin. And I imagine that this miniseries is written to reintroduce the character, or introduce him to first time readers, so I do get why it's there. However, I hope it's not something that is dwelt on.
    Excellent point.
    Don't complain. Create.

Gave the first issue a shot as I was hoping for something a bit different, but it seemed like a pretty typical Cyborg comic. He has a new design and is all smiles on the cover but it’s a lot of the same old tropes.

-I hate my dad.
    -He turned me into a freak.
    -Do I have any humanity left?

I liked that they settled his history with the Justice League and Titans.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Outside the comics, DC/WB still pushes Cyborg as a Leaguer. In Superman vs Meshi, Cyborg was in the Justice League. Aside from Doom Patrol and Teen Titans Go! Cyborg is in the Justice League.
    Who said Cyborg shouldn't be in the Justice League? I know I didn't. I just think he should be a New Teen Titan first, then a Leaguer in terms of his overall history--although I'm fine with them acknowledging that he was founder of a League during a period of time in which all of history had been messed with, because that happened.

However, trying to pretend that teenage Vic joined the League prior to joining the New Teen Titans makes no sense to me and doesn't add anything to his character.

Incredible Member

Honestly I'm holding out for Cyborg here. I don't know if he really is DC's most popular black character or if people just say that because he's been in the most outside media, but I'm hoping this comic can really show me why he can be a big name.

I know people say you should be able to relate to any hero regardless of skin color and I do understand that to be true. Though there is a certain longing for a black hero for me to stand out and show the world he or she are good at what they do and are really popular amongst hardcore fans and casual fans. So far I haven't felt that from Cyborg or any Black hero from except for Static (they don't get credit for that) DC like I have from Marvel. So here's hoping this comic shows off how great Cyborg is.

Incredible Member

Cyborgs power set and potential for great armor designs is wasted without developing the character. That's why I give the character multiple opportunities. I may drop the title quickly if I don't see changes but I'm at least willing to give the character a chance.

Just give me this level of intensity, remove the face plate and increase character development I'll prepay for all product. That's all that's required.

1kyK_0-e9y7v32-saajnCm93hzqauprlo1qf74h3qjE.jpg
    Last edited by Customizer; 06-02-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.