Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean Victor literally cannot help but be recognized as Cyborg, so Dick and Wally in their usual alter egos would likely be asked why they showed up at the funeral for a superheroes Dad.

Supposedly Dick could lie because of his money from Alfred but still why take the risk.
    No one will know Wally from Adam and Dick's not really treated as a celebrity outside of costume.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    How about tired? Are there any other notes to be played with Vic? Look, for whatever goofy reason DC won't let anyone update, and modernize Victor's look can we then at least get a story that makes this a richer character, adding newer elements to him would be cool.
    To be frank, I don't know what anyone dislikes about Victor's look when Raiden is still popular and has far less organic flesh than him.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-19-2023 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    To be frank, I don't know what anyone dislikes about Victor's look when Raiden is still popular and has far less organic flesh than him. This is starting to feel like complaining for the sake of complaining.
    It’s based on how DC explain his abilities. He’s advanced alien technology. He is nanite based. He can morph his body into different things. He’s been shown to look completely normal.

Now…he just chooses to look like a mechanical mess even though according to comic book advanced science he’s capable of so much more. It’s limiting. It worked in the ‘80’s based on what futuristic technology was thought to be at the time. Now it just doesn’t make sense in 2023.

Also…it be nice to have a black male character who isn’t a backup, sidekick or legacy character who can be seen as a power fantasy similar to Batman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Also…it be nice to have a black male character who isn’t a backup, sidekick or legacy character who can be seen as a power fantasy similar to Batman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc.
    You're talking about a comic starring such a character right now. They aren't doing anything to Victor they haven't or wouldn't do with either of those guys. Just looking at Wonder Woman for example, her mother has been killed off twice and their relationship has at times been far worse than Victor and Silas's.

It’s based on how DC explain his abilities. He’s advanced alien technology. He is nanite based. He can morph his body into different things. He’s been shown to look completely normal.

Now…he just chooses to look like a mechanical mess even though according to comic book advanced science he’s capable of so much more. It’s limiting. It worked in the ‘80’s based on what futuristic technology was thought to be at the time. Now it just doesn’t make sense in 2023.
    I don't know if he looks as much like a mechanical mess as some of his New 52 designs did.

You're talking about a comic starring such a character right now. They aren't doing anything to Victor they haven't or wouldn't do with either of those guys. Just looking at Wonder Woman for example, her mother has been killed off twice and their relationship has at times been far worse than Victor and Silas's.
    The power fantasy was more with regard to his look. About wanting to be in his shoes. Amazing power, abilities and a personal life. Those I named get to have normal lives. Love interests. Appealing to look at in their downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if he looks as much like a mechanical mess as some of his New 52 designs did.
    The Walker/Reis design was the one decent design as he had the ability to return to normal. It was cool to see him “transform” when the time came. He has the power to. Why not use it? Doesn’t make sense.

The power fantasy was more with regard to his look. About wanting to be in his shoes. Amazing power, abilities and a personal life. Those I named get to have normal lives. Love interests. Appealing to look at in their downtime.
    Well, Vic did have those things at certain points in his career.
    The Walker/Reis design was the one decent design as he had the ability to return to normal. It was cool to see him “transform” when the time came. He has the power to. Why not use it? Doesn’t make sense.
    It was definitely a lot more colorful and less clunky than Nicola Scott's redesign.

Not completely true! All those other legacy heroes have the benefit of them being great aesthetically while having powers of gods. There's every opportunity for this to be the case for Victor. However DC has chosen to keep him just as broken and patchwork of a man as his looks dictates he is. Imagine if he were to evolve to have a much closer to human appearance, immediately his regular interactions and perception of him would change. This would allow his narrative to focus on what he chooses to internalize and villains he would be up against. As it stands his body currently stands a reminder of his trauma and by extention his fathers part in his trauma. There are so many things that can be used to challenge Victor and define him. Why is DC hard pressed to keep him tied to his mutilation drama? Especially for one of its few, (like 3) black male heroes in use. There farther reaching implications with his looks than other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Vic did have those things at certain points in his career.

It was definitely a lot more colorful and less clunky than Nicola Scott's redesign.
    The issue is why won't DC commit, and I mean truly commit to trying to elevate Cyborg as a hero. To a less extent let the brotha look more normal for Pete's sake. You have make toys look like whatever you want. Doesn't mean we can't have a cool looking hero in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Not completely true! All those other legacy heroes have the benefit of them being great aesthetically while having powers of gods. There's every opportunity for this to be the case for Victor. However DC has chosen to keep him just as broken and patchwork of a man as his looks dictates he is. Imagine if he were to evolve to have a much closer to human appearance, immediately his regular interactions and perception of him would change. This would allow his narrative to focus on what he chooses to internalize and villains he would be up against. As it stands his body currently stands a reminder of his trauma and by extention his fathers part in his trauma. There are so many things that can be used to challenge Victor and define him. Why is DC hard pressed to keep him tied to his mutilation drama? Especially for one of its few, (like 3) black male heroes in use. There farther reaching implications with his looks than other heroes.
    Victor looks a lot more aesthetically appealing than Ben Grimm and the Hulk, and those two are very popular. His appearance in this book is about the same as the one from the 2003 animated series. And this issue is about his complicated relationship with his father, not the accident that turned him into a cyborg.

I get that people are very cynical and sensitive about how DC handles black characters but there is nothing about what was done with Victor in this issue that is offensive unless you are really looking for it. Not every white hero's life is an escapist fantasy most or all of the time either.

I gotta say im disappointed in the responses in this thread, I get that people want a happier Vic and thats fair but this isn't the same Man vs Machine crap that DC has been feeding us. This feels like actual effort to resolve the issues he has with his Fahter.

This issue is a deccent start, my only real gripe about this issue is the art, its kinda bleh.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So we're all just going to ignore the idea that Vic joined the League before the New Teen Titans and go right back to knowing, in our hearts, that he joined the JL years afterwards, right?
    That's exactly what we're going to do
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Victor looks a lot more aesthetically appealing than Ben Grimm and the Hulk, and those two are very popular. His appearance in this book is about the same as the one from the 2003 animated series. And this issue is about his complicated relationship with his father, not the accident that turned him into a cyborg.

I get that people are very cynical and sensitive about how DC handles black characters but there is nothing about what was done with Victor in this issue that is offensive unless you are really looking for it. Not every white hero's life is an escapist fantasy most or all of the time either.
    No one cares about Ben Grimm. No one. He’s not in the same light. Hulk is a good example. He does look cool. He’s an ordinary man who transforms into a hulking creature. That’s actually cool. He’s not stuck like that. Hulk is a power fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I gotta say im disappointed in the responses in this thread, I get that people want a happier Vic and thats fair but this isn't the same Man vs Machine crap that DC has been feeding us. This feels like actual effort to resolve the issues he has with his Fahter.

This issue is a deccent start, my only real gripe about this issue is the art, it’s kinda bleh.
    The main issue I’m seeing is the lack of advancement in his appearance. There’s no technological growth. This ain’t the 80’s. If he was alotted an improved appearance, it would open up new storytelling opportunities.

Ultimate Member

Ben Grimm

The freak who has a WIFE.
    The freak who has a lover in Sharon Ventura-who also looked like him for a time.
    1974-1986 had his OWN solo series.
    10 trades.

Been a LEAD in a book called Fantastic Four for over 60 years. A book at 700 issues.

Hulk
    The FREAK who has a WIFE.
    The FREAK who has over 600 solo issues.

While those two may look WORST than Vic-they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Cyborg in development.

It's not always "WOE is me-I am freak."
    "WOE is me I hate (blank)."

Fully developed FOLKS.

It's never WOE is ME stories that keep popping back up.