Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Justice League of America Satellite Years Appreciation Thread 2023

Post any and everything you loved (or hated) about the Satellite years of Justice League of America.

Who were your favorite writers, artists, members, etc...?

What was your favorite storyline or single issue?

What was your favorite JLA/JSA storyline?

Extraordinary Member

I have a lot of favorite issues but my very favorite issue is #145. I always lean toward the supernatural stories and this was a creepy issue involving a demon and several temporary deaths.

Written by Steve Englehart and drawn by Dick Dillin, it not only had the trinity involved but also Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and the Phantom Stranger. It also included a surprise guest at the end of the story.

Extraordinary Member

While Grant Morrison’s mid to late 90s run was a tribute to the main 7 first members.
    I’m surprised more Justice League runs don’t have tribute to the satellite years.

Extraordinary Member

Wow, I thought there would be more interest in this. Kinda sad, actually.

I like the concept of the Satellite years, but I haven't read many of those issues other than the ones drawn by George Pezez. I think its because I grew up with the Super Power Friends, when I think of the League, that era is the one I see. As a black kid I always wished Black Lightning was a member, just so I could have seen someone who looked like me fighting alongside Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

It's my favorite era for the JLA but I don't really have anything to add. Honestly I'm hoping when the League returns that we get a team that is a combo of the Satellite era and the Justice League Unlimited show. I feel the team should be huge. Pulling in members when needed on specific missions with a large core group. Members with their own titles should be on the team but not full-timers. Also I love the Hall of Justice too though so I like the idea of keeping that for the public but also having the Satellite as their "secret" HQ.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I like the concept of the Satellite years, but I haven't read many of those issues other than the ones drawn by George Pezez. I think its because I grew up with the Super Power Friends, when I think of the League, that era is the one I see. As a black kid I always wished Black Lightning was a member, just so I could have seen someone who looked like me fighting alongside Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
    It almost happened. Unfortunately, writer Gerry Conway decided against it. Plus, as you can see from the cover below, he did not know how to write for an African American super hero.

Conway, instead, chose to have one of his creations, Firestorm, join the League a few issues later.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It almost happened. Unfortunately, writer Gerry Conway decided against it. Plus, as you can see from the cover below, he did not know how to write for an African American super hero.

Conway, instead, chose to have one of his creations, Firestorm, join the League a few issues later.

Man as a kid I was so excited when I saw this cover on the spinner rack at 7eleven. Black Lightning was a favorite of mine just from the few short stories I had read starring him in World's Finest and one back issue I had of his ongoing. On top of that there were these 3 new, weird JLA members?!? I was so excited then disappointed when I found out that the new members where just a fake out. And I was flat out angry with the next issue and Jeff not joining up at all. I mean it did lead to a really interesting sub plot with Green Arrow but it still sucked. What was DC thinking by not using BL in the JLA?

Fantastic Member

Loved the satellite era. IMHO it was the best of the JLA. Had some of the best storylines that moved me. Loved the Christmas story where three alien trailers got sidelined on Earth, and their gifts got stolen and used for ever purposes. Loved how Red Tornado met Tranya (?) in this issue. Incredible moving ending. Wish there were more storylines like that. Also loved issue 200.
    Another favorite scene was when Superman and Batman had a great scene talking about how they were the "first," after a fight between the Leaguers. It's cover had Wonder Woman hitting Superman, and her being under the control of the construct.
    The Satellite league was the best

Jthree

Extraordinary Member

The seven original members of Justice League were: Aquaman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Superman, and Wonder Woman - Brave And The Bold #28.

New members were:
    Green Arrow - JLofA #4
    Atom - JLofA #14
    Hawkman - JLofA #31
    Black Canary - JLofA #75
    Phantom Stranger - JLofA #103
    Elongated Man - JLofA #105
    Red Tornado - JLofA #106 and again in #146
    Hawkgirl - JLofA #146
    Zatanna - JLofA #161
    Firestorm - JLofA #179

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I think it also might have had something to do with Isabella's contract. Especially if it meant he would end up being used in Justice League licensed toys and cartoons.

https://www.cbr.com/black-lightning-...gue-unlimited/

Astonishing Member

Definitely my favorite era as it was pretty new when I started reading (issue 100). Len Wein had a great run from 100 to about 112 -- not sure of his final issue. The run that followed was awful to me -- and I would only have been 11 or 12. Cary Bates and another guy whose name I forget. The JLA started facing generic alien menaces -- and worst of all - Cary Bates dressed as a super-villain.

I pretty much dropped the book for years -- picking up the two issues where Zatanna joined (I was actually a fan of the genie-inspired outfit). Then didn't come back until Perez was drawing (wish he could have stayed on longer -- even though he did about a year's worth of covers after departing). I wish the current series was closer to the Wein/Dillin and Conway/Perez run -- with every arc featuring a slightly different lineup -- and a bigger membership to draw on.

I enjoyed the roster size of the Satellite era. As many heroes as there were on the team, they still seemed to have a family-like bond. Good times.

I liked how even though the roster was large, only a random assortment would be on hand at any given moment.
    It gave interesting mixes of characters and helped make it believable that the heroes had adventures outside the JLA.
    Matter of fact, the decision to create JLDetroit to establish a team that would always be there pretty much went against what made the JLA unique.

I think Aquaman did have a point, but I think a core team that would always be available, with a large cast of reserves would've been a better idea. Sorta like how All-Star Squadron had the core team of Steel, Robotman, Firebrand, Liberty Belle and Johnny Quick.
    They could've rebuilt the Satellite easily. Firestorm, Flash, Superman, J'onn and Zatanna could've had it put back together by themselves in record time.

Unfortunately, the demise of the Satellite and the JLA was a meta thing, as Batman, Superman, Flash and Wonder Woman were being cleared away for 'something', which would eventually be Crisis and their reboots. And they were trying to latch onto the '80s 'new wave' young hero team craze that started with X-Men and Titans, by introducing Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy and Steel. Even though Firestorm had his own title, I always thought it was odd that they didn't keep him in for JLDetroit. He totally would've fit the concept.