Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default Titans #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Yeah, this is something that I wasn't particularly excited about. Don't get me wrong, I love the team but I can't say the same about the current writer.

I have a weird history with Tom Taylor. I think he has quite a few of the positive traits of what I consider a good writer, the problem is that he also has many, MANY of what I consider a bad one, being the decompression, poor grasp at continuity and history, the shallow shock value or even the more shallow "political" commentary, there's just a lot to hate in every Taylor work and at times it surpasses any of the good that he could bring so you have to understand my doubts about this new incarnation of the Titans.

Funnily enough, what came to my mind the first time I read this issue was: Man, this is a BLAND opening.

Because it is, I was at least expecting Taylor to deliver his typical big moments to at least make the story more exciting but they weren't at all. I mean, there's one concerning Wally that I guess you could call a "big moment" and it actually sets-up where the plot is going but at the same time, there's very little action in this chapter. That's not necessarily a problem but when one of the strongest aspects of a writer doesn't deliver then you can't expect much from the rest and sadly the rest isn't particularly engaging. Characterization is by the numbers and doesn't really deliver much new, there's just the classic Taylor pandering this time focusing on the pairing of Beast Boy and Raven and a few details about the powers of each character but again, there's nothing that makes you really invested in this new adventure of them nor each one of them as a hero.

But do you know what did make me think this is a Taylor story? *sigh* When it went "political". Yes, Amanda Waller sent Peacemaker to make the team "serve their country" and this is just the stereotypical way in which Taylor handles this sort of topics to try to gain some attention from media and we all know that he will implement the subject as simple as possible.

Nicola Scott handles the art and is just great, beautiful and expressive characters and she follows the little amount of story there is clearly.

Aside from that, this is mostly a boring beginning and I don't expect things to get much better.

I wouldn’t get on Peacemaker too much considering how he’s appearing in a lot of other places doing either the exact same thing or some villainous plot for Waller.

They gave him sentinels in Doom Patrol and he’s apparently going to fight the Green Arrow family.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Flash being shot dead just has no stakes - he has a solo book, so we know he'll be back.

Donna's comment to Peacemaker about America not being her country shows poor research on Taylor's part. She IS American, if the saved from the fire origin is her current one (which it is, according to last year's Artemis Wanted one-shot).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Flash being shot dead just has no stakes - he has a solo book, so we know he'll be back.

Donna's comment to Peacemaker about America not being her country shows poor research on Taylor's part. She IS American, if the saved from the fire origin is her current one (which it is, according to last year's Artemis Wanted one-shot).
    Just because Donna was born in America doesn't mean she identifies as one. Especially if she grew up on Themyscira which I'm assuming she did after being saved by whichever Amazon saved her. Anyway I loved the issue. Especially as a #1 issue which can often be boring since they have to set up the series. The artwork was absolutely amazing. Definitely the best by Nicola Scott to date. I really love the design of the new tower. It wasn't a perfect issue but I highly enjoyed it. Oh yeah as a Garth aka Tempest fan I'm intrigued by his part in the story.

Yeah the moment it was revealed Flash was shot I went “yeah he’s probably giving a warning from the future or something.”

At least Garth or any other Titan was actually killed off.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That's not poor research. She doesnt identify has an American and was not raised in America.

Astonishing Member

Cyborg book combines his early history with JL and Titans, so he was a teen joing JL first then the New Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Cyborg book combines his early history with JL and Titans, so he was a teen joing JL first then the New Teen Titans.
    lol what!?! that's even worse

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    That's not poor research. She doesnt identify has an American and was not raised in America.
    If Donna's backstory is that she was saved from the fire, it means she was raised in America for her early formative years.

It's fine if Donna doesn't want to consider herself American, but the decision that a DC character totally ignore her place of origin is rare.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-17-2023 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If Donna's backstory is that she was saved from the fire, it means she was raised in America for her early formative years.

It's fine if Donna doesn't want to consider herself American, but the decision that a DC character totally ignore her place of origin is rare.
    Pretty sure she was rescued from the fire as a BABY so I disagree completely. If she was a baby when taken to Themyscira and then was raised as an Amazon why would she identify as an American?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

Like stated above....she's always been saved as a baby. She wasn't raised in America. She literally had 1..maybe 2 years before the fire. There were no formative years.