Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Really enjoyed the scene of everyone telling Peacemaker they owe him and the US nothing.

Finally Titans with a backbone again.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Really enjoyed the scene of everyone telling Peacemaker they owe him and the US nothing.

Finally Titans with a backbone again.
    I totally agree. And that's how I saw it too. Not as a political statement but them standing up for themselves as a team. They are stepping up to protect the entire planet not just the U.S.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I totally agree. And that's how I saw it too. Not as a political statement but them standing up for themselves as a team. They are stepping up to protect the entire planet not just the U.S.
    It probably does a few things, and one of them is come of clunky. Are they saying No because they want to help everyone? Then why start off by saying this is not her country? And by that does she mean she does not live there? Does not like it? Does not what? It is a stupid remark, and then the 'not from this planet' and 'not from this dimension' just seem like logically they should be not focusing on the Earth?

The whole thing was poorly executed and not helped by the likelihood of Taylor just wanting to write a 'not my country' in response to some sort of American patriotic 'nonsense'.

(edit: to add, this scene works better if it goes from Peacemaker making his request to Nightwing saying they need to be there to help the whole world, the inbetween stuff adds nothing)
    Last edited by cranger; 05-26-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Peacemaker said "Your president is asking you to serve your country." And they respond saying it's not their country.
    They are saying they won't serve to anyone or any country, they will operate freely to save people anywhere.

I don't get what is so controversial about that, it's like people are trying to find excuses to get mad.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Peacemaker said "Your president is asking you to serve your country." And they respond saying it's not their country.
    They are saying they won't serve to anyone or any country, they will operate freely to save people anywhere.

I don't get what is so controversial about that, it's like people are trying to find excuses to get mad.
    I am just saying it is a poorly written scene. Donna says "not my country" after Peacemaker mentions serving the US, but Starfire then goes and says "not even my world" right after Nightwing just said they would work for the world. If it end there, with the emphasis being that the Titans have ties to more than just the US, fine, but then Taylor can't help himself and throws in the "superpowers and nationalism are a very bad mix" which is just cringe inducing. It comes off as people who spend too much time on social media and not actually talking to people in the real world. It definitely misses the opportunity give the characters more depth than just being snarky.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I found the remark to be rather appropriate for the scene. Peacemaker is attempting to push nationalism on them, which is on brand for his character uber-nationalism, it's a jab at his character. To me, it felt done well.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am just saying it is a poorly written scene. Donna says "not my country" after Peacemaker mentions serving the US, but Starfire then goes and says "not even my world" right after Nightwing just said they would work for the world. If it end there, with the emphasis being that the Titans have ties to more than just the US, fine, but then Taylor can't help himself and throws in the "superpowers and nationalism are a very bad mix" which is just cringe inducing. It comes off as people who spend too much time on social media and not actually talking to people in the real world. It definitely misses the opportunity give the characters more depth than just being snarky.
    I don't have any problems with the scene, so... to each their own i guess.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I found the remark to be rather appropriate for the scene. Peacemaker is attempting to push nationalism on them, which is on brand for his character uber-nationalism, it's a jab at his character. To me, it felt done well.
    I guess Peacemaker being written to come off as pushing nationalism is a problem in itself. Working for Waller is just means to an end for him. This whole scene has him just acting as stereotypical high ranking military jerk, instead of mentally troubled extremely violent wrongly guided jerk.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

And considering it was a major set-up by Waller's organisation...they're absolutely in the right for not accepting. It will bite them for saying no. But they would have been devoured if they said yes.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And considering it was a major set-up by Waller's organisation...they're absolutely in the right for not accepting. It will bite them for saying no. But they would have been devoured if they said yes.
    This also works well with the idea that the Titans have some autonomy again, in-universe and out.

I'm just hoping if the League ever shows up, the Titans continue to stand their ground.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

This also works well with the idea that the Titans have some autonomy again, in-universe and out.

I'm just hoping if the League ever shows up, the Titans continue to stand their ground.
    Knowing Taylor they'll probably have a big team-up where they all get along and make fun of Batman .

Would be nice if they had an annual JLA/JSA/Titans team-up...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Hit the LCS yesterday, finally got my copy of this.

It was....basically what I expected. A whole lot of "friendship is magic!" and some drama, which I have come to loathe with this group. But they were also competent, organized, and showed some independence and backbone, which I really appreciate after all the years of the Titans acting like sidekicks and doing whatever the League tells them to.

Peacemaker's appearance was fun, the conversation went exactly the way I wanted it to, and I look forward to seeing what kind of bullsh*t gets thrown at the team for refusing to serve a government. Actually, last I knew Waller was one earth-3, and so was Peacemaker. Are they actually back to their old roles and serving POTUS, or was that a lie Waller had 'Maker tell to get intel out of the Titans?

The murder mystery is something I could do without. Wally's still got a book, obviously this isn't 'real.' But another dead Titan, and it's Wally of all people? Could have gone the rest of my life never seeing this troupe again.

But it was evenly paced, well-written, and Scott's art was, of course, beyond reproach. Think this issue was about as good as we could have reasonably expected it to be and I'm satisfied. Not blown away, but satisfied. This doesn't feel like the greatest team on earth, the first and last line of defense against complete extinction. It feels like the Titans having another reunion, except better written than their average. Not really a fan of that. I didn't want the Titans to become a copy of the League, I wanted them to do things their way, but I was also hoping that 'their way' would evolve and change more than it is in this issue.

I feel like this issue gave me a lot of things I don't like to see, starting with the fact it's another f*cking reunion full of old cliches, but it did a good job of handling those things and I'm less annoyed than usual because of it. But if these guys are going to take over for the League, they need to start hitting bigger problems than a D-list Superman villain. I love Titano; who doesn't love a giant kryptonite-powered kaiju? But that's not a villain that requires a League-level team.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It all seemed very much in character to the Titans for me. Peacemaker’s approach was openly hostile, very controlling and he insulted both Beast Boy and Cyborg. They were just standing up for themselves and setting their boundaries and open about to sharing info with someone who is being less respectful to them. That’s not cringeworthy or perhaps having some kind of agenda to me. It’s characterization and moving a plot point forward. The story has to start somewhere.

In story, these are the Titans after all. They have a ton of experience with national, international, intergalactic, interdimensional and multiversal shenanigans, since they’ve been kids… It’d be pretty clear to them as a team as to how they’d best operate as a team from their experiences and those of their mentors.

With Waller and teams plans against metas, we’re perhaps going to get some X-Men style fear and persecution stories/allegories about identities and people that minoritized and marginalized within the DCU. Not a bad or unneeded thing considering where the U.S. and other nations are at right now with power and politicization and equality and equity.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 05-28-2023 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Would be nice if they had an annual JLA/JSA/Titans team-up...
    Please add Infinity Inc. I’ve always wanted to see more interaction between the Titans and Infinity Inc.