Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    He is not dead. It's his future self that got killed, travelled to the past to warn his friends. That's why he went to the cosmic treadmill.
    They have to solve the mystery and catch the killer before he commits the crime, kinda like in Minority Report.
    Yup, I understand all that.

I think with Waller and The Light and other Dawn of the DC stories, we’re going to move into some “political” allegory, which is valid and something storytelling can and should do. Fantasy worlds and fictional characters are fantastic ways to get people to consider the systems and issues that surround us, psychology, and all the meanings and meaningfulness in between.

“Politicizing” seemingly everything is part of our world right now, so it makes sense people may see it in stories or interpret it that way regardless of what Taylor writes or intends. There’s what the writer says, but there’s also what the reader hears, from both of their POVs.

People probably need to define what they mean when they say political. Not everyone has the same definition or think of the same things as political. For example, there are a lot of people’s identities that being politicized right now, that they don’t think are political at all - they’re just people trying to live their lives.

I like how a Taylor set this up - showing us the Titans’ attitude toward helping people, governments, extraterrestrials, etc. and what kind of challenges they might face for not aligning with Waller or other groups ideals, goals, fears, etc.

I didn't read it as "political" either. Just them not wanting to work for one country that half of them really don't have an allegiance to. As for the issue itself, I'm still underwhelmed with Taylor's versions of the characters. I get that he's going for the "classic feel", I just don't get that classic feeling. Mainly because I still hate Raven's and Gar's relationship, Donna is pretty much a blank slate, and Kory's not as fierce as I would want her during battle.
    And the action in this (the same within Nightwing's solo) is so lackluster.
    I hope Taylor finds his way with the characters, and that each will have separate story beats, and supporting characters just like in Wolfman's Perez's hay-day. Like, what does Donna do during her off time? Is she still a working photographer? Where did she live in-between the different Titan Towers? Will Kory have a social life outside the team? Will she date now that Dick is off the market?
    I want to see less talking head panels, more action with dynamic power displays, and individual story arcs and sub-plots.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    They made a statement of fact though, and you admit you’re letting stuff from his other work color your opinion. I 100% believe if this was anyone else no one would make this complaint but because it’s a Tom Taylor book that has to be said.

And that’s not even touching that superhero teams have been telling them government to stuff it since we had hero teams.
    Well, yeah I said that in my first post...that his writing may just not be for me because I feel it is too political. In general. I really just gave the book a shot because of Wally.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I didn't read it as "political" either. Just them not wanting to work for one country that half of them really don't have an allegiance to. As for the issue itself, I'm still underwhelmed with Taylor's versions of the characters. I get that he's going for the "classic feel", I just don't get that classic feeling. Mainly because I still hate Raven's and Gar's relationship, Donna is pretty much a blank slate, and Kory's not as fierce as I would want her during battle.
    And the action in this (the same within Nightwing's solo) is so lackluster.
    I hope Taylor finds his way with the characters, and that each will have separate story beats, and supporting characters just like in Wolfman's Perez's hay-day. Like, what does Donna do during her off time? Is she still a working photographer? Where did she live in-between the different Titan Towers? Will Kory have a social life outside the team? Will she date now that Dick is off the market?
    I want to see less talking head panels, more action with dynamic power displays, and individual story arcs and sub-plots.
    I’m expecting a lot more of this down the line. He did mention in an interview its the lives of these characters hes excited to see so I hope that’s true. I asked him on twitter if Jade would show up cause i liked her relationship with Donna when Dick last led the Justice League and Donna and Jenny moved in together.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I’m expecting a lot more of this down the line. He did mention in an interview its the lives of these characters hes excited to see so I hope that’s true. I asked him on twitter if Jade would show up cause i liked her relationship with Donna when Dick last led the Justice League and Donna and Jenny moved in together.
    Somehow I doubt it. I would even love to see her on the team, especially since she's not working with the current JSA (can't have 2 Green Lantern types on the same team :eye-roll. But she wouldn't fit in the "Classic New Teen Titans" motif, now would she.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I seriously doubt that will be the last time we ever see Deathstroke. He may not have been the one who shot the Flash but he'll be back at some point.
    The longer Slade out of commission the better.

I didn't realize so many people here disliked Raven and Beast Boy's relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I didn't realize so many people here disliked Raven and Beast Boy's relationship.
    I think you'll find the old school fans don't like it because it's kinda weird to us. Fans who were introduced to Gar and Raven through the cartoons seem to be more into it. Even though I don't really like them as a couple I did enjoy the scenes of them together in Titans #1. Maybe Taylor and Scott can win me over? IDK.

Astonishing Member

I've always been neutral towards that ship.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Cassie was the Amazon who felt the most American to me.
    Agreed - Cassie didn't even know she was related to Zeus until quite a while after she became Wonder Girl, she thought she was an ordinary American teenager when she took the role. Donna was much younger when she was adopted by Hippolyta, so Cassie definitely would feel the biggest connection to the US.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Somehow I doubt it. I would even love to see her on the team, especially since she's not working with the current JSA (can't have 2 Green Lantern types on the same team :eye-roll. But she wouldn't fit in the "Classic New Teen Titans" motif, now would she.
    I think she would fit more than any other Green Lantern related character. If only because she comes from DC's set of direct-only '80s new hero teams baxter titles.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For anyone DCUI-waiting #1, if you’re interested, Nicola Scott has all 24 pages on her website albeit unlettered and uncolored.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I can get why Donna might not see herself as a American even though she usually feels more American than most Amazons, even Diana.
    But hasn't Donna been living in America since she was like 13? You would think she feel like she's both Amazonian and American

I don't mind the BB/Rae relationship probably because I grew up watching the 2003 series (that was my first introduction to Gar, Raven, Kori, and Vic) I felt that they can work especially now that they are older and more mature, especially BB.

It seems that the people that disliked BB/Rae either read the original comics (Wolfman/Perez era), strongly disliked Beast Boy due to his past characterization, or preferred Raven to be with other people such as Damian, Jericho, etc. I would say give this relationship a chance, the last time they were a couple was in TTA (2021) and before that, it was the pre-flashpoint era (2003 - 2011) a good ten-year gap before they bring back their relationship.
    Last edited by Incognito; 05-19-2023 at 12:27 AM.