Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You know what I realized? This is just the natural conclusion to blaming everything on OMD.

There is clearly a culture around BND at Marvel, and you see it in Wells blaming OMD 16 years later for the response to his run. They all internalized the belief that they'll be hated no matter what for not undoing it, so it's caused them to not care. If the consequences are going to be bad anyway, why put in any effort in your story?
    It's not just culture around BND, it's around Spider-Man at all. That's the biggest harm OMD and BND caused - it created one endless, very aggressive dispute about what exactly Spider-Man should look like, and of course it affects writing. Current run is just one big anti-thesis to everything the fanbase demanded for years, it's not coincidence.
    I'm sure it's the true reason why Zdarsky doesn't want to have anything do with ASM, because he just wants to tell stories and doesn't want to be involved in this toxic mess.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Last night (UK time) I saw the Spider-Man page post about avoiding spoilers. I played around on Duolino for half an hour or so and the Marvel page had posted the Death of Kamala cover. I laughed so damn hard.

The funniest thing is that in announcing it they'll probably sell more copies. Failing upwards, as they say.

Oh, and let's not be too quick to assume there's nothing else insanely stupid in this issue. They could ALSO do something awful to MJ.
    Last edited by exile001; 05-17-2023 at 04:49 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Last night (UK time) I saw the Spider-Man page post about avoiding spoilers. I played around on Duolino for half an hour or so and the Marvel page had posted the Death of Kamala cover. I laughed so damn hard.

The funniest thing is that in announcing it they'll probably sell more copies. Failing upwards, as they say.

Oh, and let's not be too quick to assume there's nothing else insanely stupid in this issue. They could ALSO do something awful to MJ.
    *Paul gets his heart ripped out by Rabin.*

"Oh noes! Paul is dead! What a tragedy!"
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    *Paul gets his heart ripped out by Rabin.*

"Oh noes! Paul is dead! What a tragedy!"
    A competent writer could use that to riff on this, as it's the most shocking moment since blah blah blah...

m214c1ee0j3z.jpg

Of course, the word is competent.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Aside from the optics of the situation this book has been so poorly plottted and written in this last run that I almost don't believe it. Is like they're throwing **** at the wall ina issue by issue basis and try to come for half-assed reasons for said things to happen.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

and you've hit the nail on the head, they don't care it leaked, they probably leaked it on purpose, because it will sell more, a major marvel character dies, people who don't buy these books will pile in for it, the same way Dan Slott build up hype and sales for his book by announcing a brand new character debut etc.

and this is the problem, Lowe as editor cares about sales to validate his decisions, he will love all this and use it to demonstrate he is doing a good job - the stories aren't story driven, they're driven by this shock and awe to get sales mindset - heck Lowe might actually achieve more sales if there was a good story but he is editing the number 1 comic so it just reinforces his tactic of shock awe and sales dictating the story - it is sad for fans

that said the reaction to spider-verse could always swing things... I hve slim hope for that happening but who knows

Censorship Sucks

I think it would be nifty if this was a fake out.
    They leak the Ms Marvel death, but really on the last page,
    they kill Mary Jane too.
    and then they kill Peter.
    And aunt May.
    and then a nuke falls, and kills everyone in New York.

Peter Parker has not been written to sound like Peter Parker in so long, these "characters" don't even feel legit. So anything that happens to them has no "gravitas".
    Kill them all I say. Someday, when a better writer comes along and fixes all the silly "one more day" mistakes, we will get the real Peter back.

Mighty Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'm surprised no one has used "The Death of Jonah" yet, he is the easiest Person to kill off without as much backlash.

Extra points if the issue ends with Jonah coming out of a Plant and Xavier welcoming him to Krakoa...

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Yeah the Wells defender in me is at a loss for words. Literally every time she pops up in the book I go who is that again before I realize it’s her. I felt they were leading her up to something, but death without really cementing her place doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe it’ll work better in story but I doubt it.
    It's clearly going to be because Peter messed up somehow again and it ended up costing Kamala's life. There's no other way to have that outcome in this book unless it's directly connected to him. On the Fallen Friend cover you see him kneeling in pain on the forefront, while the other Avengers have more stoic expressions in the background(except for Carol obviously). I take that as clear implication that he is somehow responsible for it. Because of course he is. That was Zeb Wells' "gotcha" attempt and why he had Kamala make those few cameos in ASM in the first place, he must have thought noone would figure it out to try to justify the "shocking" premise of the issue. After all killing MJ would have been the opposite of shocking since they've been teasing her death for months. Someone should tell this guy that just because something is "shocking"" doesn't make it good.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-17-2023 at 07:11 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'm surprised no one has used "The Death of Jonah" yet, he is the easiest Person to kill off without as much backlash.

Extra points if the issue ends with Jonah coming out of a Plant and Xavier welcoming him to Krakoa...
    A Jonah death would not hit the shock button for me. He's not relevant anymore.

But I could say that about practically everyone in the Spider-man books now. I don't even think killing Aunt May would be a shock - she rarely appears or has anything to do when she does.

That's why everyone shifted to MJ as the shock "death of the decade", because no one else could possibly fit that moniker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Oof, that's All the Yikes. You know you're doing your job badly when EVS is praising you.
    She is probably going to stay dead for less than 6 months, what do they have to celebrate or praise.

The fact that Ms. Marvel death can generate any level of outrage shows that the characters is valuable enough among fans, how many characters die in comics without anyone noticing.

While I can agree that is was done in poor taste because there she didn't have any built up in ASM, this issue about her death will probably do better than her last few minis and not to long after she will be alive again, with some mystery surrounding it that they can use to go forward with her in a new series.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 05-17-2023 at 07:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    She is probably going to stay dead for less than 6 months, what do they have to celebrate or praise.

The fact that Ms. Marvel death can generate any level of outrage shows that the characters is valuable enough among fans, how many characters die in comics without anyone noticing.

While I can agree that is was done in poor taste because there she didn't have any built up in ASM, this issue about her death will probably do better than her last few minis and not to long after she will be alive again, with some mystery surrounding it that they can use to go forward with her in a new series.
    I wouldn't even wait 6 months. She'll be back just as the movie comes out. Maybe just for a gag they'll tease she's already back from the dead in the Fallen Friend one-shot just to really make it funny.

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't even wait 6 months. She'll be back just as the movie comes out. Maybe just for a gag they'll tease she's already back from the dead in the Fallen Friend one-shot just to really make it funny.
    Kevin Feige is an in canon attendee of the Hellfire Gala. I'm sure he'd be happy to give notes on a Krakoan Revival procedure for Ms Marvel and how it might alter her powers.

Spectacular Member

Can people stop giving them money for this RickRoll rag now

Astonishing Member

I'm betting the "classified" series in the August politics is her return. The series runs for four issues which means the final issue will be out in November, just in time for the fllm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Twilight Mexican View Post
    Can people stop giving them money for this RickRoll rag now
    Best description of this run yet.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee