Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    "They'll get mad at us no matter what, so we can do whatever",
    You know what I realized? This is just the natural conclusion to blaming everything on OMD.

There is clearly a culture around BND at Marvel, and you see it in Wells blaming OMD 16 years later for the response to his run. They all internalized the belief that they'll be hated no matter what for not undoing it, so it's caused them to not care. If the consequences are going to be bad anyway, why put in any effort in your story?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You know what I realized? This is just the natural conclusion to blaming everything on OMD.

There is clearly a culture around BND at Marvel, and you see it in Wells blaming OMD 16 years later for the response to his run. They all internalized the belief that they'll be hated no matter what for not undoing it, so it's caused them to not care. If the consequences are going to be bad anyway, why put in any effort in your story?
    When you run purely on outrage, you either go too far or you create total apathy.

I can only think of three things to say:

"In the name of the One Below All, by what tortured logic did anyone at Marvel think this was a good idea?!"

"Kamala Khan deserved better."

"We deserve better."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

This book is basically DOA until Wells is removed or leaves. Why should anyone care about what happens at this point, when it's clear there's nothing in the way of a coherent storyline.

They wanted to run a tenure based on fan-outrage and baiting? Cool. I'll check out. Lemme know when we get a writer who actually respects their audience.

Mighty Member

So, let's dial it back a little bit. Zeb and Nick didn't just haphazardly kill Kamala Khan in 2023. This isn't like that time Dan Slott killed Sabra or whatever. Taking Kamala out of the picture was something that was not just run up the flagpole, it was honestly probably directed. They needed Kamala to die so they could mutant revive her, Wells needed a stinger to tease, things worked out. Is there still a small chance that they could get sacrificed on some political altar if ther ereally was huge outrage, sure. But I don't think that's happening.

And to be fair, I don't really want it. I mean, I do love reading them getting dragged on Twitter. It's cathartic. And sure, I want better people on the book, but replacing them because of some random political outrage isn't really the right message, which is that they need to stop fucking around with bad stories. He's your flagship hero, you need top talent on the book and you need smart editors. Who is that? Honestly I dont' know. But I'll try anybody if they'll just do the right thing. And until they do the right thing, I'll drop the book. i did it before when I ran out of tolerance for Slott. I'll do it again after 26 without proper storytelling. I don't want to do it. Those years with Spencer were super nice. I got a decent book with a character that I loved twice a month. I read it last every time because it was my favorite. It made me happy. I want that back, but we're not so lucky that WElls and Lowe are gonna get taken out as part of political blowback and then get replaced with someone who can actually write teh character. We ain't that lucky.

I can't figure it out, if you got the green light to take out Kamala Khan, why does it have to be in a Spider-man book? Why not on, oh i don't know, maybe Captain Marvel!? The hero who inspired her and has more sense than a book where she didn't even have a decent chat with Peter. Honestly the level off stupidity in this decision is beyond comprehension.

People are currently talking more about the comic version of Kamala Khan than they have in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    People are currently talking more about the comic version of Kamala Khan than they have in years.
    Oh god, your top concern is that Wells and Lowe will be replaced and what that means for your ship (Peter x Felicia), isn't it?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I can't figure it out, if you got the green light to take out Kamala Khan, why does it have to be in a Spider-man book? Why not on, oh i don't know, maybe Captain Marvel!? The hero who inspired her and has more sense than a book where she didn't even have a decent chat with Peter. Honestly the level off stupidity in this decision is beyond comprehension.
    This is what I've been scratching my head about.

It's so out of place, I mean it would make more sense in a FF book that Spidey but who knows nowadays.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-16-2023 at 11:23 PM.

BANNED

Every time I think about Kamala dying, I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh. This is all a perfect encapsulation of how disposable this entire run has been. 25 Issues, promising this entire arc is about answering the big mystery box at the core and what do they do? Kill off someone who no one even remotely considers part of the Spidey world. I think her and Peter have teamed up a few times? Maybe? It's laughable that anyone would be upset about this or believe this death for half a second. You thought killing MJ would has been obviously retconned/fixed? This is even more obvious. This is so obvious that it kills any and all sting a major death is supposed to have.

And what the hell does this have to do with the Night Gwen Stacy Died? Peter was DATING Gwen...

Unless...Oh god...Oh, Peter No...turns out what Peter did was date a teenager?! BRB, gotta throw up.

I mean, everyone here is smart enough to figure out what's going on: this iteration of Kamala is dying so that they can bring her back in a new, rebooted form.

But, man, as if the internet didn't hate Zeb enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I mean, everyone here is smart enough to figure out what's going on: this iteration of Kamala is dying so that they can bring her back in a new, rebooted form.

But, man, as if the internet didn't hate Zeb enough already.
    The only people who have expressed joy around this issue are comicsgate people like Ethan Van Sciver. Reason enough to call this out for the crap that it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The only people who have expressed joy around this issue are comicsgate people like Ethan Van Sciver. Reason enough to call this out for the crap that it is.
    Oof, that's All the Yikes. You know you're doing your job badly when EVS is praising you.
    Last edited by Venomsaurus; 05-17-2023 at 01:31 AM.

Yeah the Wells defender in me is at a loss for words. Literally every time she pops up in the book I go who is that again before I realize it’s her. I felt they were leading her up to something, but death without really cementing her place doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe it’ll work better in story but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The movie comes out in November. So I think this death lasts 5 months max. Have to get that MCU Sync in.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Classified from the August solicits is also a Ms. Marvel book.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    - A popular female teen hero
    - One of Marvel's only Muslim heroes
    - In a title that's not even her own.
    - To service the story of a superhero that she barely has a relationship with
    - who also happens to be a white male
    - And also happens to occur during Asian-American heritage month

It's just a really risky move and really dumb move no matter which way you slice it. In this socio-political climate in the US. You could literally kill any other character in the book, piss people off, drum up controversy, and you wouldn't risk losing your own head.
    Title not even her own, true, but the Marvel family is linked to Spidey's. Carol initially shared Spidey's supporting cast as she worked at the Bugle when she first became Ms. Marvel. And Monica debuted in an ASM annual. Miles's book was always a more appropriate place for Kamala than Peter's though due to their pre-existing relationship from Avengers and Champions. Peter's only had a couple of team ups with Kamala before the current run.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I wonder what Mephisto will ask for this time....
    He doesn't always ask. Last time Kamala was resurrected, when Miles did a deal, Mephisto didn't name a price - but in the redo he granted, Miles forgot to save a civilian girl, who was effectively sacrificed to bring back Ms. Marvel and Viv Vision. Miles was so traumatised he actually temporarily quit the Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Carol's book is about to end, though she does have a mini to tide her over to the movie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman