Default Is Superman like John Cena?

This is for Superman fans who also enjoy professional wrestling, specifically WWE.

I am actually not a big fan. But recently i started watching what is available on Youtube. Its fun. My favorite character/wrestler turned out to be John Cena.

Now he has played two prominent characters. Doctor of Thugonomics. And other is plain ol' John Cena. I know he plays Peacemaker in the DC films.

Doesn't John Cena the character give Superman vibes? Always too good. Popular with little kids. Effortlessly charismatic. Disliked by people who think he's too milquetoast. What do you think?

It don't think its a coincidence that i prefer this character over 'cooler' characters like Brock Lesnar or Undertaker?

Cena's work with the Make a Wish foundation is very Superman-like. I appreciate the guy for trying to spread some joy to terminal kids.

Apologizing to the CCP for calling Taiwan a country was the-sorriest-version-of-Superman-like. That's why you should never meet your heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    This is for Superman fans who also enjoy professional wrestling, specifically WWE.

I am actually not a big fan. But recently i started watching what is available on Youtube. Its fun. My favorite character/wrestler turned out to be John Cena.

Now he has played two prominent characters. Doctor of Thugonomics. And other is plain ol' John Cena. I know he plays Peacemaker in the DC films.

Doesn't John Cena the character give Superman vibes? Always too good. Popular with little kids. Effortlessly charismatic. Disliked by people who think he's too milquetoast. What do you think?

It don't think its a coincidence that i prefer this character over 'cooler' characters like Brock Lesnar or Undertaker?
    I can see Superman, so no.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

If we're comparing Superman to Cena, the biggest problem is that the audience feel they're just given exactly the same thing over and over and they're sick of it (but the kids love it).

It's interesting that people get stuck on the core elements (powers, Daily Planet, Smallville, being good) and feel it's the same every time, but Spider-Man and Batman don't have that issue. Whereas within a few years Cena was a parody of himself with how unchanging his character, storylines and matches were.

Anyway, I doubt behind the scenes Clark was petitioning DiDio to defeat the Injustice Gang single handedly. That's more a Bruce move.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

People can see Superman, so no.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

They didn't call him Super Cena for nothing. Also, it's funny. I don't think Superman is a character that is known for winning anymore, if this was the 1950s and 1960s, I'll agree. But, in 2023? I think that goes more for Batman than Superman these days.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    They didn't call him Super Cena for nothing. Also, it's funny. I don't think Superman is a character that is known for winning anymore, if this was the 1950s and 1960s, I'll agree. But, in 2023? I think that goes more for Batman than Superman these days.
    What do you mean by that? I mean one of the main complaints about him is that he’s boring and can do anything. And He’s probably the only character that’s just allowed succeeded with the only justification being that he’s Superman without it being a joke only shown in fandom, like with Batman. He can outrun the flash, but he just doesn’t try hard enough. He can lift infinity.

Wasn't one of the ongoing themes of Smallville that you couldn't see him in action due to his superspeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kman2 View Post
    What do you mean by that? I mean one of the main complaints about him is that he’s boring and can do anything. And He’s probably the only character that’s just allowed succeeded with the only justification being that he’s Superman without it being a joke only shown in fandom, like with Batman. He can outrun the flash, but he just doesn’t try hard enough. He can lift infinity.
    When has Superman ever been shown to be equal the Flash anymore? Just because fans find him boring and can do anything doesn't equal to the fact his most famous fights, he has lost. BvS has done Clark no favors.

When has Superman ever been shown to be equal the Flash anymore? Just because fans find him boring and can do anything doesn't equal to the fact his most famous fights, he has lost. BvS has done Clark no favors.
    The only famous fight Clark has lost was against Batman and Dark Knight Returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The only famous fight Clark has lost was against Batman and Dark Knight Returns.
    Injustice?

Injustice?
    Doomsday? Probably one of the most famous Superman stories of all?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Doomsday was a draw.

I wouldn't blame anyone who disowns injustice as a video game tie in, I certainly do myself.

Speaking of disown, I haven't watched a single wrestling program dated after that time since Mae got pregnant. If a character could feel like Superman to me it'd have happened somewhere between Bruno and Bret. The only thing I know about Cena is that he seems like a great guy outside of the ring.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Doomsday was a draw.

I wouldn't blame anyone who disowns injustice as a video game tie in, I certainly do myself.

Speaking of disown, I haven't watched a single wrestling program dated after that time since Mae got pregnant. If a character could feel like Superman to me it'd have happened somewhere between Bruno and Bret. The only thing I know about Cena is that he seems like a great guy outside of the ring.
    WWE hasn't done anything over-the-top like Mae Young since then. The closes I can think of is when Triple H had sex with a dummy called Katie Vick during his feud with Kane, duirng a funeral... Yeah, WWE has changed a lot. In my opinion, Superstar Billy Graham is up there too. Look at him during his peak. Well, many wrestlers are.