Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman and spicey food

Hear me out. Superman can feel things. Fairly well established. The warmth of Lois and so on. His invulnerability doesn't necessarily translate into lack of nerve sensation across the board. He's mentioned in Post Crisis for example about how he enjoys the taste of cantaloupe melon.

Spicey food causes intense pain but doesn't actually inflict damage to your taste buds as far as I understand it. So my question is:

Would Superman or other extremely durable/invulnerable characters be susceptible to the pain inflicted by spicey food?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Also, apparently I'm addicted to making threads again. Send help. ��
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

ALSO, I seem to be unable to spell spicy correctly
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Also, apparently I'm addicted to making threads again. Send help. ��
    No complaints here!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Hear me out. Superman can feel things. Fairly well established. The warmth of Lois and so on. His invulnerability doesn't necessarily translate into lack of nerve sensation across the board. He's mentioned in Post Crisis for example about how he enjoys the taste of cantaloupe melon.

Spicey food causes intense pain but doesn't actually inflict damage to your taste buds as far as I understand it. So my question is:

Would Superman or other extremely durable/invulnerable characters be susceptible to the pain inflicted by spicey food?
    Superman in the old comics had feats of eating inedible things as I recall... Superboy Prime ate superheated uranium in the Sinestro Corps war... I can't imagine spicy food being an issue.

The pain by spicy food does not act on durability, its signals interpreted by your brain. Incidentally, its also a different thing from the sensation of "cold" produced by mint I learned recently, so you can be both "burning" from spicy food and "chilled" by a mint freshener at the same time.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    The pain by spicy food does not act on durability, its signals interpreted by your brain. Incidentally, its also a different thing from the sensation of "cold" produced by mint I learned recently, so you can be both "burning" from spicy food and "chilled" by a mint freshener at the same time.
    Was curious so, found a quote with more detail

"The answer hinges on the fact that spicy foods excite the receptors in the skin that normally respond to heat. Those receptors are pain fibers, technically known as polymodal nociceptors. They respond to temperature extremes and to intense mechanical stimulation, such as pinching and cutting; they also respond to certain chemical influences. The central nervous system can be confused or fooled when these pain fibers are stimulated by a chemical, like that in chile peppers, which triggers an ambiguous neural response.

"So how does the brain decide whether the mouth is being pinched, cut, burned or affected by chemical? Scientists are not certain how the process works, but probably the brain makes a judgment based on the type and variety of stimuli being received. Stimulus to the nociceptors alone might indicate dangerous, extreme temperature. But capsaicin, the active ingredient in chile peppers, also stimulates the nerves that respond only to mild increases in temperature--the ones that give the sensation of moderate warmth. So capsaicin sends two messages to the brain: 'I am an intense stimulus,' and 'I am warmth.' Together these stimuli define the sensation of a burn, rather than a pinch or cut.
    Source

So... it's the chemical in the spice causing stimulation in pain receptors to cause a sensation of "burning" rather than via actual heat. Presumably, because his threshold for pain is immensely higher, Superman's nerve endings would not be triggered by sensation on the level of the chemical?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Maybe spicy food isn't at all hot to him? Just...different flavours.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I would like to remind people of Green Arrow's Chili.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I was about to bring that one up.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I gave similar questions regarding wherever or not you can bypass superhuman durability with tickling.

I'm also tempted to write a story with someone who has super stats, but whose pain receptors work like normal, so lifting a car produces a senation similar to having a car dropped on their hands even though they take no damage, running at super speed feels like you are sandblasting any exposed skin, and so on.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Clark did grow up in the Midwest, so he likely didn't get much spicy food exposure growing up. I imagine he probably doesn't appreciate it now.

Astonishing Member

Supersenses are an interesting questions as are resistance to poisons. Supes has said a few times that alcohol doesn't affect him. He drinks wine with Lois to keep her company. Spicy chemicals are deterrents to predators but some have evolved to ignored them. So Supes' nervous system as to be picky as to what he senses and what doesn't have a detrimental effect. He certainly has shown he can feel pain when clobbered.

ALSO, I seem to be unable to spell spicy correctly
    Yes. Your spelling of "spicy" is pretty dicey.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Your spices are rolling dices?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!